Anathema Unable to Perform as Full Band During US Tour

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
Just out of the oven:

Vincent Cavanagh of the U.K. atmospheric rock band ANATHEMA has issued the following update:

"This week, due to circumstances outside of our control, the full band will not be able to travel to the U.S. to perform with BLACKFIELD. Despite making every effort and exploring all avenues to make this trip possible, we were not able to find a solution.
"Our fans are our number one priority and so as not to let you down, we've generated enough support to keep most of our American Dream alive but this does still mean a few unavoidable changes to the plan.

"We wanted to let you know that instead of the full band appearing, myself and Danny [Cavanagh] will now be performing acoustically. We're really excited as it's our first time in the States and with absolute respect for fans who have bought tickets, we want to go over and give you a great show. Even though we'll be focusing mainly on the newer material, we're still ready to play some of the old songs if people want to hear them! In fact, to us, these acoustic gigs are more special and exciting in a way — they are less structured and more improvised than a full band show — there's room for a bit of freedom on the night. Additionally, due to the unprecedented style of these shows we have decided to record these rare acoustic performances for forthcoming special releases and exclusive online content.

"We really feel this is just the beginning OF ANATHEMA's U.S. story and Danny and I are looking forward to meeting everyone. We will be on the merchandise stand after every performance to greet you all and we will do our best to make sure the full band gets to tour in the USA as quickly as possible, perhaps even headlining before the end of the year.

"Whilst we realise this is a significant change from the original plan and we are disappointed that we can't perform with the full band, we are thrilled that we can still play to our fans in the USA. In true ANATHEMA spirit, the show WILL go on."

Edit (this is actually going to be great):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSjT_VrpoNg&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW...thanks for the news...I literally was going to buy tix tonight for the Chicago show and this news is a real bummer to me. While I'm certain the band as a whole is disappointed as well, I personally am not a big fan of acoustic shows. It hurts me to say this, as Anathema is one of my faves covering their entire discography, but I reserve the right to wait them out yet a little bit longer to see them as a full ensemble. They planted the seed and I will wait for it to grow!

Bummer. I was looking forward to seeing the full band. I guess half a loaf is better than nothing.

It reminds me when I last went to see King Crimson and they couldn't play as a full band because Adrien Belew was sick. They still put on an impromptu Projekct Three performance which was still quite good.

First reaction: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Having said that, I'm still looking forward to this as I've never seen them before and it could be a special thing that no one has been able to see before. I must say though, I'm happy to hear they think they will be coming back at some point.

We're really excited as it's our first time in the States and with absolute respect for fans who have bought tickets, we want to go over and give you a great show.

First time in the US? I saw them at Milwaukee Metalfest 2000 & 2001 :err: Just a simple mistake I assume.

Can't say how disappointed I am to hear this, but I will definitely still be going to support. I know it would be taboo for the headline band to come out and play with the opening band, but I would imagine the Blackfield guys are talented enough to learn a few Anathema songs to help them out...

Huh? This isn't a bad thing! I'm looking forward to it *more* now. I dunno, maybe it helps that I've already seen Anathema in full-band-version (even if they've forgotten about it!), but Anathema in acoustic mode is awesome! I don't listen to that many concert bootlegs, but Anathema's 'Live in Budapest' is great, and it's all acoustic. Admittedly, it has cello and piano, which they probably won't have this time around, but still, we're getting the core and the soul of the band here; it's not like this is Les and John trying trying to cobble together facsimiles of Anathema songs on keyboards and drums.

The spirit of Anathema has basically been acoustic for a long time now; if it was Sabaton doing an acoustic show I could understand the disappointment, but in the case of Anathema I don't think it changes the tone very much at all. The only sad part is that it's not a headlining gig, which means they likely won't really have the kind of free-flowing, improvised attitude that they hope for in their statement.

Neil

I didn't know this until just now but...."Anathema are set to release their album, We’re Here Because We’re Here, on June 7th in North America via The End Records. A special, limited edition deluxe edition will include three bonus tracks, 7" with two unreleased tracks, and a DVD 5.1 surround version of the album, along with the stereo version, both mixed by Steven Wilson of PORCUPINE TREE. "

DVD 5.1 surround version? Oh....my.....

Well, kinda wish I didn't already spend cash on the tix. From now on, waiting till a couple days before a show to buy. Hopefully it will still be good.

Not nearly as excited to see them next tues as a 2 peice..damn this sucks..I wonder if The End didn;t want to pay to fly the whole band over..:bah:

That would be the band's fault if that was the case. Never commit to a tour when a) you don't have enough money to cover expenses yourself or b) tour support isn't guaranteed in the contract.

From the way it was phrased, it sounded like it might have been visa issues. :(

It most likely is.

By the way, somebody mentioned the Anathema Live in Budapest bootleg (acoustic). If anyone ever has a chance to listen to this, it's a beautiful concert. It really does show what the Cavanagh brothers usually says about their acoustic duo shows... it's the spirit of Anathema in its purest and rawest form.

I'm really looking forward to this Friday. Have been hearing that bootleg repeatedly since the announcement.

Man, a lot of people over at Progressive Ears are getting their panties in a bunch over this.

Wow, no kidding... I'm not terribly familiar with Anathema, but from the few songs I've heard, they strike me as a band that would work very well acoustically. I think they deserve props for making the effort to give a performance, despite the circumstances.

Danny is GREAT on acoustic shows... I watched 4 acoustic gigs last year and they were all phenomenal. Even the older songs work well!

Deep:

Fragile Dreams:

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, a lot of people over at Progressive Ears are getting their panties in a bunch over this.

I'd never heard of that forum but I just checked it out and that's how I found out minutes ago that District 97 is playing here on Friday. Tickets are pretty pricey but I might check that out. Hope Neil's enthusiastic posts about them here and on other forums pans out!