Anathema

Slatanictrash

Aug 5, 2009
Glasgow
Has anyone heard of them and do you like them?

I think they are a great band and it's a shame that things have went slightly tits up for them, I felt that they were on a major breakthrough only for their record company to fuck them royally

Weirdiest thing about them is that they are bigger in Europe than here in the Uk which I found was a great shame, I have saw them live 6 times and they have never failed to impress me, I remember seeing them for the 1st time in 1996 and I was fuckin stunned

I am just glad that they are still going on and apparently there will be a new album released on 31st May which I am looking forward to getting my hands on it after waiting 7 years for a new album instead of releases of previous tracks in one album

They're like My Dying Bride in the sense that they're a hell of a lot more popular in mainland Europe than they are here, in their home country.

Good band regardless, though I do prefer My Dying Bride (not that that's got anything to do with anything, apart from the fact I prefer them... :erk:). The Crestfallen and Pentecost III EPs as well as Serenades are my favourites. I'm not a massive fan of their non-doom/death stuff, though they do have their moments. A Natural Disaster being one of them.

They're like My Dying Bride in the sense that they're a hell of a lot more popular in mainland Europe than they are here, in their home country.

Good band regardless, though I do prefer My Dying Bride (not that that's got anything to do with anything, apart from the fact I prefer them... :erk:). The Crestfallen and Pentecost III EPs as well as Serenades are my favourites. I'm not a massive fan of their non-doom/death stuff, though they do have their moments. A Natural Disaster being one of them.

I know what you mean in regards to their non-doom/death stuff, to be honest I was quite happy that they changed direction in a Pink Floydish direct with a bit of prog, it shows that they were willing to take risks and musically it gies them great scope, I really loved "A Fine Day To Exit", it summed up perfectly the moment I was feeling at the time and yet I know a lot of people hated it and I am also a huge fan of "The Silent Enigma" as this what got me into the band

I did enjoy a couple of MDB releases but I went of them after listening to "The Light at the End of the World" I couldn't get into that album at all, there was, in my opinion, no fluency or direction to the album at all, this was one of 3 albums I have ever returned back to Hmv looking for my money back as it was simply dreadful