ANNIHILATOR / SWORD in Quebec City yesterday

labrekk

Jul 16, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Earlier this year, the Canadian band from the 80s, SWORD, decided to come back to the scene. They're supposed to be working on their 3rd album. Great news for me, as 1986's Metalized is a 80s metal classic in my book.

I was at the Quebec City show yesterday, when SWORD were the opening band for ANNIHILATOR (which is a Canadian band, but had not played in Canada for 17 years before yesterday!). Sword were supposed to have only 60 minutes, but we finally got around 1H20 and it was a killer show. All the guys (all original line-up) are in great shape, especially singer Rick Hughes, who looks really fit and whose voice is really powerful, maybe even more than in the 80s. All the songs were sung and played perfectly and Hughes nailed all the screams easily. Even came on stage on a Harley for F.T.W.
They must have played the Metalized disc almost entirely, along with stuff from Sweet Dreams as well, and a tribute to the great Ronnie James Dio, with a medley of Neon Knights and Mob Rules. I'm now really looking forward to the upcoming 3rd album...

Annihilator played a great show as well, even though the set was a bit too thrashy for my current taste. My fave tracks were Set The World On Fire, King Of The Kill and 21. Jeff Waters is a showman, moves a lot on the stage and interacts with the crowd, even more than the "official" singer (which is the 2nd guitarist as well). He talked a bit in French, which was appreciated by the sold-out crowd (well, it was really sold-out for Sword, but it looks like some had left for Annihilator). All the musicians of the band were excellent.

Guillaume

I would love to see Sword at progpower. Sounds likeit was a great show. There is a video on blabbermouth of Sword playing a tune and I was surprised how great they sounded.

....There is a video on blabbermouth of Sword playing a tune and I was surprised how great they sounded.

Here it is:

There are a couple of more from the same gig in the related videos.

Last edited by a moderator: