Another band with visa issues, except this one ends poorly:

The US Custom agency seems to be completely out of control. It's like they're using the current atmosphere surrounding the threat of terrorism to disregard their own policies and procedures and just harass the shit out of everyone! This isn't about terrorism, it's about shared culture and music to benefit the citizens of our country. At a time when we need to foster stronger relations with other countries they appear to be sabotaging any hopes of repairing our reputation world-wide. Someone needs to take them to task, and fast!

But of course, if we took any Middle Eastern folks to task like this, we'd be accused of racial profiling. :(

I agree, it's out of control....

Finnish Public Television, which was making a documentary about the trip, and the university paid travel expenses, said Prof. Jukka Savolainen, who was waiting at the airport to meet them.

Too bad they didn't get anything on tape. If what they're saying is true (and I wouldn't doubt it) ... this is absolutely out of hand. How do we fix it?

Could someone compile a list of links to other reports of similiar incidents? I've read a bunch, but can't remember where to find them all.

This news made it to the headlines of tabloids in Finland today. Nice PR for USA :Smug:

What the musicians said, it wasn't the fact they were taken to further investigation at the airport, it happens everywhere, but the way they were treated like criminals caught at sight. Officials shouting "you have no rights", "shut up", "you're a liar" right at their faces, pushing them to confess that they were there on illegal purpose whatever might be and threatening to send them back when they refused to answer (first given the choises only say "yes" or "no" and shouted at again when trying to defend themselves).

Lots of similar experiences at many US airports are told on the tabloids' discussion boards today. All the stories seem to have the common factor how the officials treat people like scum, arrogantly expect everyone knowing English, (well, most Europeans do, but most of the US officials don't know a single foreign language, interpreters hardly ever available even at the biggest airpots) and start accusing arrivals of some bizarre violations against rules, regulations, missing documents or whatever and demanding to "confess" the imaginary violation.

A german lady told at Nightwish msg-board how she was questioned at Chicago airport last week when she flew over to see two Nw concerts at Detroit and Chicago: The immigration didn't want to believe that anyone would come to see two concerts of the same band and accused her a liar for half an hour before letting her go.
Like with her, most times the immigration seem suddenly give up after a while without any explanation and let people go, but definitely will never apologize their rude and meanigless behaviour. Nobody really seem to understand why the show must be made up for nothing. Are the officials just frustrated or do they have to show their superiors that they are doing an efficient job?

And before anyone jumps at me, these things are not unique to the US immirgation, it happens almost everywhere to an extent, but when the "Land of the Free" seem to go paranoid within a short period of time, it makes everyone wonder what's up with their future...

The thing that gets me....most airlines use Amsterdam as the gateway for Scandinavia, unless you're taking a direct flight. If they're going to claim this based on trafficking, shouldn't they be flagging Americans that come through Amsterdam, as well?

Their logic astounds me. But I have to agree with Drew, our politicians have stupid games they want to play on capitol hill, they don't want bs around with something like this. :/

I'm regularly surprised at the amount of action that occurs on the hill due to citizens asking their representatives to do something about an issue. Its more than I ever expected.

I'm tempted to write a letter, once I know who mine are...

I'm regularly surprised at the amount of action that occurs on the hill due to citizens asking their representatives to do something about an issue. Its more than I ever expected.

I'm tempted to write a letter, once I know who mine are...

My folks on the State hill are great, but I shake my head at my reps on the Fed. hill.

And before anyone jumps at me, these things are not unique to the US immirgation, it happens almost everywhere to an extent, but when the "Land of the Free" seem to go paranoid within a short period of time, it makes everyone wonder what's up with their future...

I've never had a problem with any country I've visited. Granted, I'm not a musician, but this stuff does happen to regular folks, here, more often than it should. Other countries tend to base their red flags on profiling for what they're looking for, not the case here in the states. Hell, the time I did have trouble with customs or the Embassy, it was with the US folks, they like to assume guilt first, then deny later.

The only time I had trouble with customs was in the U.S. (Gee, I was coming from Amsterdam, wonder if that mattered?) I was careless about filling out my declarations card. Neglected a few items and they decided to check me randomly, I guess. I think it was the undeclared 8 Euro bottle of Koskenkorva that pissed them off. All told, it took about two hours to clear up and the grand total of items I forgot to claim was less than $30.

On a side note (for those I haven't yet told this story) I was shocked that Customs made the U.S. Airforce Vermont National Guard, all 300 of them, land first in JFK to turn in their declarations cards when they came home from Iraq. What do they think they bought over there?? Took over three hours to de-plane, wait in line and re-board and wait in line to take off. Since when does the military have to go through Customs? Maybe I'm ignorant, but I think the Customs officials are on a major power trip right now if they're also screwing with their own military.

I'm contemplating publishing an editorial on this. Links to more published articles on other occurances would be great.

On a side note (for those I haven't yet told this story) I was shocked that Customs made the U.S. Airforce Vermont National Guard, all 300 of them, land first in JFK to turn in their declarations cards when they came home from Iraq. What do they think they bought over there?? Took over three hours to de-plane, wait in line and re-board and wait in line to take off. Since when does the military have to go through Customs? Maybe I'm ignorant, but I think the Customs officials are on a major power trip right now if they're also screwing with their own military.

I'm contemplating publishing an editorial on this. Links to more published articles on other occurances would be great.

They've done some seriously screwed up stuff to the military. I'll see if I can find the link to a group of Marines with their redeployment back to 29 Palms. They made them stand on the tarmac for 3 hours, and wouldn't let them in the terminal. I can't remember which International airport it was, but I'll find it for you.

Edit: They were headed back to Hawai'i, not 29 Palms.