Another Hurricane heading towards the Gulf

Latest 5-day forecast track at www.weather.gov puts it right on top of New Orleans at 8pm Monday. :(

It's eerie, since almost the same timing happened with Katrina. There were people who came up from NOLA to Dragon*Con three years ago who KNEW they might not have anything to go home to.

The only good news is that the intensity forecast has been lowered from 110 knots to 95.

The "forecast discussion" part of weather.gov's hurricane info is particularly fascinating for any weather buffs out there, like me.

It's eerie, since almost the same timing happened with Katrina. There were people who came up from NOLA to Dragon*Con three years ago who KNEW they might not have anything to go home to.

Not to be insensitive... but at least they evacuated to someplace fun. :)

I've been in Dallas for almost two years now (anniversary is coming up quick!) and this is the first time we've had to be genuinely concerned with a hurricane. It won't reach this far inland as a hurricane but it is likely to hit as a tropical depression, which still totally sucks. Something like 40 mph wind is expected to hit on Labor Day. Hopefully the coast and New Orleans don't get battered up in this either :(

This reminds me, I need to go make a quick 72-hour emergency kit. Food, batteries, bottled water, portable radio, "GTFO!" bag... *suddenly misses the 'simplicity' of a Michigan blizzard*

My brother in law is en-route from New Orleans to us near Nashville now to stay with us.

About 9:00 PM central, he called and said he had made it up to near Laurel Mississippi and that the interstate was still about 45 miles an hour max speed.

So, he and my niece should be dog tired when they get here about 4-5 AM, but at least they'll be safe and dry for a few days.

He lost most everything he had (which wasn't much to begin with) during Katrina. I bet he moved a TON of stuff into his attic today. I know this time it was probably killing him deciding what to cram in the truck to bring with them tonight.

Well, I cleaned out space in the garage tonight for him to pile some boxes in while they are crashing with us, and my wife just finished putting fresh linens on the bed in the spare room :)

My brother in law is en-route from New Orleans to us near Nashville now to stay with us.

About 9:00 PM central, he called and said he had made it up to near Laurel Mississippi and that the interstate was still about 45 miles an hour max speed.

So, he and my niece should be dog tired when they get here about 4-5 AM, but at least they'll be safe and dry for a few days.

He lost most everything he had (which wasn't much to begin with) during Katrina. I bet he moved a TON of stuff into his attic today. I know this time it was probably killing him deciding what to cram in the truck to bring with them tonight.

Well, I cleaned out space in the garage tonight for him to pile some boxes in while they are crashing with us, and my wife just finished putting fresh linens on the bed in the spare room :)

When he gets there, this page may interest him- New Orleans news streaming from 4 local channels :)

http://www.maroonspoon.com/wx/gustav.html

Looks like Gustav is pretty much done. Whew.

Predictably, the media is now portraying the evacuations and preparations at all levels as "too much" or "overkill"....this, despite the fact that the storm was at one time a strong Category 4 with 150mph winds. Ya just can't win.

--Paul C.
Emergency FEMA callsite employee (during Katrina)...and maybe again this fall

It may be over but we're still in for some good rain in Texas. It's steadily windy and started to shower a little this afternoon. I don't know if the predicted amount of rain will come or not but I kinda hope it does. Not only do we need it, but I'd hate for people to think "eh, it'll die down" and then not be prepared in the future. :ill:

We had some tornado warnings issued not too far from my house during Tropical Storm Fay...which was pretty far from Atlanta at the time, and even farther from where I live in Auburn, GA. (!)

Just as with Fay, it looks like Gustav's primary hazard now will be flooding rains.

And now we have Hannah approaching from the east -- not expected to be above Category One at landfall now, but the forecast models are in sufficient disagreement that it's still anyone's guess. And Ike to her east, and Josephine beyond him.