Any chance immigration reform will make Glenn's life easier?

adaher

Apr 18, 2004
Coral Springs, FL
I've been reading tons of articles on the subject but can't find much of anything on reforming the process that gives festival and tour promoters such headaches. Does anyone know what's being proposed in this regard, or if it's even a priority in Congress?

I've been reading tons of articles on the subject but can't find much of anything on reforming the process that gives festival and tour promoters such headaches. Does anyone know what's being proposed in this regard, or if it's even a priority in Congress?

It's not even just hard for bands, it's hard for ANYONE trying to work in the USA. It's absolutely ridiculous to be honest. I've been hearing horror stories about foreigners getting sponsored by bigtime employers for high paying jobs and getting their visas turned down even still. I don't understand why these Government agencies like "homeland security" think making it impossible for foreigners to work in the USA does anything but further damage the US' economy.

Non-citizens being sponsored by companies get the biggest buillshit from employers you can imagine, because the employers know they need the sponsorship.

Immigration policy is so incoherent. I get the impression that they aren't actually reforming immigration so much as doing a political amnesty, while leaving the system just as screwed up as it's always been.

This shouldn't be hard. For bands coming here, it should just be background check, fee, BAM! Approval. And if they get denied, Glenn should be told why.

The Immigration Dept is full of shit and overloaded with folks who don't even understand their own policies. On top of that, they have no way of tracking each person, or what they file for.

I'd like to think they're actually reforming immigration, but from everything I've seen come out of that committee they're reforming illegal entry.

Are these the visas concert promoters need, or is it something else entirely?

I don't think so. From what I've read, this is a way to get workers from India and other countries to come over to the US to work highly skilled jobs (like IT) but pay them peanuts, unlike what we'd pay for a US born citizen for the same work.

Companies are crying the blues saying that they can't find enough skilled workers, but in reality they just want to cheap out and pay less than what they're really worth.

Yep. If you can't get American workers to apply for your jobs, you simply aren't paying a competitive wage for them. There is no highly skilled labor shortage. Just a shortage of people willing to work skilled jobs for peanuts.

At the tech company where I work, we've managed to hire 13 Americans since the beginning of the year, while a top 10 Fortune tech company down the road is bitching about not being able to get enough H1Bs.