Anyone catch From Exile opening for Enslaved in Atlanta last night?

zekeyou

Mar 3, 2004
The Triiiaaannnnggggle
Gotta say, I'm pretty impressed-- imo they were the second best band of the evening, besting another local band, Arsis, and The Agonist.

The newer singer is an improvement of sorts on the previous singer, and is surely full of energy, but I'd like to see a bit more diversity in their vocals-- they have epic songs, lots of extremely good dueling guitars, and lots of mellow-to-heavy parts. While I typically like 'extreme' vocals, I think this band could definitely improve with throwing some clean vocals into the mix...

I came in at the end of The Agonist's set. Enslaved were great though. They made the drive worth it.

Did Arsis play any of their new material? :headbang:
Yeah, 2 songs. They sounded great!

From Exile were good. I don't think they were as good as Arsis or Enslaved, but they definitely have potential. I honestly can't see how a band like The Agonist is signed but bands like From Exile work their ass off just to play a show.

My wife and I made it just in time before From Exile went on to catch them. Definately worth coming out to see. Enslaved was great, and they had the best sound. Didn't seem like they cranked it up too loud or maybe it was just hearing loss by that point in the night :p

Arsis was cool too, is it just us or does their singer remind anyone else of Nathan Explosion? Would be funny if that's where they got their insperation.

My wife and I made it just in time before From Exile went on to catch them. Definately worth coming out to see. Enslaved was great, and they had the best sound. Didn't seem like they cranked it up too loud or maybe it was just hearing loss by that point in the night :p

Nope.... Enslaved sounded amazingly good for a Masquerade show. One of the best shows I've heard there.

From Exile were great; my second time seeing them. Once they get a little more live experience under their belts they'll be ready for serious label consideration, IMO.

The Agonist.....meh. We couldn't think of too many other bands whose female singer does both growlies and smooth vox. That novelty (such as it was) wasn't enough to save 'em, though.

Loved Arsis, and the new material sounded excellent. It was fun seeing our fellow Forumer Noah Martin sweet-milling around on bass. Their merch was cheap, too....picked up a hoodie and a t-shirt for $30 and $15 respectively.

For Enslaved, I had decided to watch about half their set and then head over to WREK-FM to get ready for WREKage....and they were so good, I just couldn't leave. I'll be seeking out more of their CDs in the future (I already have Ruun). :headbang:

They also played "Ruun" and "Return to Yggdrasil" that I can remember. I'm going to track down that latter album.
William, you'll love this show.* :headbang:

----
* except for The Agonist, I suspect :)

They played

Path to Vanir (this was first)
Isa
Ruun (this was the 'closer' before the encore)
Return to Yggdrasil
Fenris (I think it was-- from "Frost")
Bounded By Allegiance (dedicated to Vitek from Decapitated)
As Fire Swept Clean the Earth
Fusion of Sense and Earth

I'm missing a couple.

The encore was
Allfadr Odhinn
&
one of the others from Hordanes Land....

These old songs sounded especially excellent

For Enslaved, I had decided to watch about half their set and then head over to WREK-FM to get ready for WREKage....and they were so good, I just couldn't leave. I'll be seeking out more of their CDs in the future (I already have Ruun). :headbang:

You missed a great show, as I'm sure you know. If you are seeking out more Enslaved albums, I would recommend Below the Lights or Mardraum.

You missed a great show, as I'm sure you know.

Oh no I didn't; read my comment again. :)

If you are seeking out more Enslaved albums, I would recommend Below the Lights or Mardraum.

Thanks, I'm going to include them in my next online order (unless I find them at the Atlanta Record Show later this month).

I agree with all of those who were hoping for a longer set from Enslaved, but even the shortened length impressed me mightily. :headbang:

What else did I miss from the main set or was that it?

Indeed, I would have liked about 3 more songs to fill it out.

Man, did they sound excellent though....

That, sadly, was the entire set. Hopefully we made a good impression on them and they will come back and give us an extended set.