Anyone heard of Rata Blanca?

poundingmetal74

Demons Will Fly
Oct 18, 2004
Canada, eh
www.finalstage.ca

Stumbled on this a few minutes ago. I really dig it, even though it's not in English, the music and vocals are great. Reminds me of Yngwie with a drop of Queensryche or Priest thrown in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brandon you have the shortest memory ever :p. We already have a discussion some time ago about Walter Giardino (RB guitar player) being better than Malmsteen (although he's totally a Ritchie Blackmore worshiper technically speaking). I think it was Flavio or Desert Demon that supported me on that one.

Anyway, Rata Blanca is indeed the brainchild of Walter Giardino who formed it after being kicked of V8 (in it's most unremarkable line-up) along with former V8 drummer Gustavo Rowek. At it's inception and debut 1988 it was a 5 piece outfit with another guitar onboard and the first vocalist Saul Blanch.

The debut has one of my favorite tunes 'Solo Para Amarte' but the production is very bad. Then came the second album "Magos Espadas Y Rosas" (wizzards swords and roses) now wih Adrian Barilari on vocals, that was the one that throw the band into stardom in Argentina specially with the song you put above. Then came the third album "Guerrero del Arco Iris" (rainbow warrior) which is definitively very Rainbow-esque, an EP "El Libro Oculto" (the hidden book) and a live album (very neoclassical) then afterwards Barilari goes out, and Mario Ian comes in on vocals.

The new album "Entre EL Cielo Y El Infierno" (between heaven and hell) was my first and it's really heavy and different from the previous ones, but fans seemed not to liked it much (personally I love it all the way).

So Giardino out of desperation changes again the line-up with a new singer (Gabriel Marian) and tried a more pop approach, failing it miserably (their worst album ever). And finally Giardino called it a day disbanding Rata Blanca (around 1998).

Around 2000-2001 after a trubute to the band that included Argentinian bands with/without former RB players, members of Nightwish with Giardino and Barilali, produced and mixed by Piet Sielck and mastered by Mika Jussila (you know what there leads to), Walter felt the need to reform the band.
So Giardino, Barilari and Sanchez (bass) returned, but the second guitar Sergio Berdichevsky and the drummer (Rowek) didn't. So he recruited a keyboardist (Hugo Bistolfi) and a very good drummer (Fernando Scarcella) to launch "El Camino Del Fuego" (the road of fire) in 2002, followed by two live albums and a DVD with Glenn Hughes as guest star (which probably left Giardino qith an erction for life :lol: ).

Another two albums come afterward: "La Llave de la Puerta Secreta" (the key of the secret door), "El Reino Olvidado" (the forgotten kingdom, which also have an English version with Doogie White on vocals that I haven't checked yet), both amazing albums which IMO along with the comeback ECDF have cemented Rata Blanca as a very solid band with a definitive sound (maybe not original but very good), allowing them to fill stadiums alone in Argentina and opened doors to tour in Mexico, Spain and even USA.

As you may guess I'm a fanboy :D, more info on these links:

http://www.bnrmetal.com/v2/search.php?name=rata+blanca
http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=1931

Brandon you have the shortest memory ever :p. We already have a discussion some time ago about Walter Giardino (RB guitar player) being better than Malmsteen (although he's totally a Ritchie Blackmore worshiper technically speaking).

That I do, but you have to remember until that point I had also never heard of Rata Blanca. Also, he's not better than Yngwie. Judging from a few songs, he's a fantastic player, excellent feel and the dude can shred like crazy. But, from a technical standpoint, very few players that I've heard top Yngwie. Yngwie's technique is absolutely flawless when it comes to shredding.

When it comes to songwriting and the like, well, we can debate that until the "cows come home" so to speak. :saint:

Oh and I just found out there's a live DVD of them with Glenn Hughes. :)

I mentioned it in my frantic post above :lol:. The condert is good, and Glenn delivers pretty nice the Purple songs (nevertheless I have a MP3 from ahother or the same concert, that was cut form the final DVD with Hughes doing 'No Strager To Love' and that one sucks).

But, from a technical standpoint, very few players that I've heard top Yngwie. Yngwie's technique is absolutely flawless when it comes to shredding.

That's the point!, Giardino like Blackmore are about passion not simply shredding. I obviously like Yngwie, but Giardino is beyond him. First three Rata Blanca albums and "La Llave De La Puerta Secreta" beat anything Malmsteen has done after his third solo album (which looking in retrospective is the last one worth having, the rest have been pure masochism from me to buy :lol: )

.....and "La Llave De La Puerta Secreta" beat anything Malmsteen has done after his third solo album (which looking in retrospective is the last one worth having, the rest have been pure masochism from me to buy :lol: )

I don't know enough of Rata to judge, but they sound great from what I have heard. For my money, Perpetual Flame and Fire and Ice are the best albums Yngwie has ever done. They don't necessarily contain his best work, but they're very listenable the entire way through.

They were popular in Mexico - I bought a cd when there - wasn't too impressed - sound like Mago de Oz - which isn't saying much....

L. Kink

poundingmetal74, Rata Blanca has been discussed on UMOS forum many times and Wyvern pretty mych said it all when it comes to this band. I myself have seen them live at least four times and have almost all their albums. Great Band!

They were popular in Mexico - I bought a cd when there - wasn't too impressed - sound like Mago de Oz - which isn't saying much....

L. Kink

With all due respect they DON'T sound at all like Mago de Oz. Mago is a poor's man Skyclad wanabee, pathetically struggling to be a folk metal or whatever band (my apologies to fans of the band). Rata Blanca may not be astounding but they just rock old way like Rainbow or Deep Purple.

And let put it this way. Rata Blanca came (along another two other bands) from the ashes of V8. Barón Rojo did a song for a V8 tribute, and Rata Blanca did a song for a Barón Rojo tribute. And anyone knows Barón Rojo is the ultimate classic rock/metal band from Spain ;)

Totally on Baron Rojo, great band, I got to see Rata Blanca on this last tour at the Foro in Tijuana Mexico my friends were opening up for them and i help them with their live sound, Hey Wyv saturday night my band Alchemy was one of the opening bands for LUZBEL from Mexico D.F. they came from doing some shows in California, i had a blast never heard the band but knew about them since the late 80's i had a blast!!!

Hey Wyv saturday night my band Alchemy was one of the opening bands for LUZBEL from Mexico D.F. they came from doing some shows in California, i had a blast never heard the band but knew about them since the late 80's i had a blast!!!

Stop the press! You have a band and opened for Luzbel? o_O :worship:

Man talk about cult metal bands in Spanish, indeed I believed Luzbel was lone gone, lost track of them still in the vinyl days.

Also if you have a site (website, MySpace, whatever) for your band let me know and I put the link in the musicians thread we have on the sticky section.

Long time, no write. Damn! :confused:

Well, how could I start? I totally agree with Wyvern about Rata Blanca. They´re great, amazing I guess. I discovered them with the same clip "La leyenda del hada y el mago" and they freaked me.

Walter Giardino is a guitar god but I consider that without Adrián Barilari there´s no magic in Rata Blanca (though first album is very good).

My favourites are "Magos, espadas y rosas" and "Guerrero del arco iris" but their comeback with Adrián ("El camino del fuego" and "La llave de la puerta secreta" are great too).

IMO, Rata blanca are Rainbow + Yngwie inspired, it´s quite obvious. I´m saying that because I totally disagree with any Mago de Oz reference.

For me, Mago de Oz are shit. They did an amazing album ("Jesús de Chamberí") and it´s over. Mago de Oz aren´t Skyclad wannabes. It´s a very friendly definition, Wyvern :devil:. Just a couple of coincidences:

- First time Rata Blanca played in Madrid (Spain) supporting band was... Mago de Oz.

- When Mago de Oz took stardom (with "Finisterra") they did 3 straight sold out shows in a venue here in Madrid (9.000 people :yow:) Supporting band was Skyclad (what a shame!) but Martin left the band the week before and they cancelled shows.

I have seen Rata Blanca a lot of times (nowadays Walter lives in Madrid). Even a special one with Doogie White singing Deep Purple and Rainbow tunes with them and Germán "el mono" Burgos (an argentinian soccer goalkeeper that it´s a rock singer too).

About Barón Rojo, the best spanish hard and heavy band ever. By the way, they´re going to play in Costa Rica with the original line up, isn´t it, Wyvern? Man, don´t miss the show. I´ve seen them two times and it´s overwhelming. De Castro brothers, Sherpa and Hermes. 3 hours of pure magic!

- First time Rata Blanca played in Madrid (Spain) supporting band was... Mago de Oz.

Poor Rata, at least they headlined..

- When Mago de Oz took stardom (with "Finisterra") they did 3 straight sold out shows in a venue here in Madrid (9.000 people :yow:) Supporting band was Skyclad (what a shame!) but Martin left the band the week before and they cancelled shows.

Skyclad was supporting, not headlining? :bah:

By the way, they´re going to play in Costa Rica with the original line up, isn´t it, Wyvern? Man, don´t miss the show. I´ve seen them two times and it´s overwhelming. De Castro brothers, Sherpa and Hermes. 3 hours of pure magic!

Yeah, rumors are they gonna play here April 17th. Since the next day my friend Henry has its birthday I promised him that is BR plays, I buy him the ticket as gift. :hotjump:

Por la marcha que nos dió, larga vida al rock'n'roll!
headbanger.gif