Anyone here like Penumbra?

EDVANTASIA

Mar 24, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I sound like a broken record. Last week my post was "Anyone like Loch Vostok?" Don't blame me it's E-music's fault. Anyhoo, I have to say that this is my new favorite beauty and the beast style band. I actually prefer this over After Forever, Epica etc. While I like these bands listed, I have a hard time listening to the whole CD,without losing interest or falling asleep. But, Penumbra keep me interested all the way through, I really like the female vocals, not overly operatic, she kinda reminds me of the chick from After forever. And of course you have the raspy(but not annoying like many squealers out there)vocals, but we also have some death grunts, but my favorite are the male overdramatic rock opera/new wave/goth sounding vocals. Sorry, couldn't think of an accurate way to describe them. I like the vocals,and the way they play off of each other, most of the times these kinds of bands vocals, never seem to gel to my ears and the variety of the songs keep me interested. Anyway, check out their CD "Seclusion". I wonder if Glen has heard of them. If not I am burning him a copy, and sliding it in his pocket while he's not looking

I do like the band and My wife loves them!! I agree they are one of the few female singer bands that I can listen to a whole cd without getting bored.

I like their music also. I have 2 of their albums, "Seclusion" and can't recall the title of the other, but it's an older album. I rank them up there with After Forever; don't really think one's better than the other cause they both have different sounds to 'em. Yeah, I would like to see 'em at PP in the future.

I love Penumbra! We have both The Last Bewitchment and Seclusion on the radio if you want to check them out. I love the wide variety of vocals they use, with the nearly operatic, sometimes breathy female then the mix of clean and death male vocals. I really love the voice of the clean male vocals, (Jarlaath?) even if his English pronunciations are a little off. (Can't say "th" for one thing.)
They recently got a new female vocalist, Asphodel, which I havent' heard yet, but the word is she's very good and quite capable of handling all the pevious stuff.
I also love their innovative mix of musical elements. Jarlaath also plays oboe and has used it effectively without over doing it to add a really eerie element to some of their songs. Check out the song Cursed Destiny, ( I'm pretty sure it's that one) and you'll hear them incorporate some pretty wicked bagpipes. Really, they have such variety to the writing style, no two songs sound the same.

They also have an earlier cd, EMANATE, but I don't think I've heard it yet.

They'd be a pretty cool wildcard for ProgPower IMO.

Was like cocaine to these ears the first time I heard The Last Bewitchment, I was addicted! Bagpipes in metal? They have a song with them and hell yea it rocks! Seclusion cd is real good too. Recently did pick up Emanate but it's a little weaker being the first one, will try and get it on the radio playlist soon. Click on over to the radio and request a song off of one of these cds if you want to give it a spin.

That's awesome that people find this band as great as I do.I wasn't sure what other people thought of it. But, seems to me that they leave a very strong impression on people. Am I the only that gets a vision in my head of a green goblin with pointy ears, singing the raspy vocals?