AOL MUSIC top 10 list

TribunalRecords

Record Label(s)/Vocalist
Sep 12, 2007
www.tribunalrecords.net
i was recently asked by AOL MUSIC's Noisecreep to do a Top 10 list of underrated metal albums.

http://www.noisecreep.com/2010/03/02/top-10-underrated-albums-divebomb-records-founder/

you can read about it there. figured it would kick up some nice chatter in here. please note, i tried to not to drop the obscure stuff on AOL MUSIC readers rather give them a chance to find some great albums available for purchase (well, most of them anyway - hahaha) as there is nothing i hate more than finding out about great albums that are impossible to find and purchase.

kick ass
matt

Excellent list! I pretty much agree 100% on your picks, especially with "Thundersteel", "Lightning Strikes" and "Power Metal.

I personally enjoy spinning that Pantera album and getting the "WTF!?" reaction from so-called Pantera fans. I would consider that their best album next to "Cowboys From Hell"

I don't know how you narrowed it down to 10, that would have been practically impossible for me to do… my head would have exploded just trying to narrow it down to 50. :lol:

Excellent list! I pretty much agree 100% on your picks, especially with "Thundersteel", "Lightning Strikes" and "Power Metal.

I had left "Thundersteel" in the car the other day, and my wife asked me: "what was the crap you had left in the CD player".

At first I tried to explain to her that it was THE original power metal album, one of the best albums ever made, and that she shouldn't call herself a metal fan if she didn't like it.

Of course I ended up telling her that it probably does sound quite outdated for people who didn't hear it and dig it when it originally came out, and that I could see her point with it not being relevant today :)

c.

I had left "Thundersteel" in the car the other day, and my wife asked me: "what was the crap you had left in the CD player".

At first I tried to explain to her that it was THE original power metal album, one of the best albums ever made, and that she shouldn't call herself a metal fan if she didn't like it.

Of course I ended up telling her that it probably does sound quite outdated for people who didn't hear it and dig it when it originally came out, and that I could see her point with it not being relevant today :)

c.

Claus, you'd normally argue with a fence post! What do you mean giving in to her like that? :lol:

~Brian~

Riot now that would be a great band to see on PPUSA.
Pantera's 'Power Metal' is a great album but I'm partical to 'Projects in the Jungle' myself.
But those first four albums are great. One would think by now Pantera fans would not be surprised to hear of them. I guess they were buried pretty well once Pantera became the leaders of redneck though guy metal.

Nice list! Lion, Wildside and Racer X...love those albums! Oddly enough, I've always ignored Riot though. I need to check them out.

~Brian~

it gets no better than THUNDERSTEEL. it's been reissued remastered in Japan, but Ironbird in UK is doing 2 on 1 with other album from that line-up. it says its remastered as well. it's worth any purchase price. just a note, the album features the late Mark Edwards (Lion) on drums on 4 tracks and then Bobby Jarzombek on the rest of the album.

i highly recommend it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wildside and Loudness?? 2 of my favorites!! Under the Influence is great from start to finish and Akira is sick as hell........good call Matt!!

I agree, the vocalist for Riot...absolutely awful.

But musically, that was a pretty cool tune. :)

C'mon... this album was pioneering stuff when it came out! :p
Tony is a great vocalist, albeit pushing the limits. But that's what makes this album so fantastic... it is SOOOoooo extreme, but from a very different aspect.

I have reveled in it's genius since I was a teeneage. Regardles of it sounding dated, this album should be required listening if there was a Heavy Metal 101 class.

From personal experiance, especially with the songs "Thundersteel" and "Flight of the Warrior" , the way I listen to these songs and experiance this album has completley changed.

Hearing it and being blown away (or not?) by it's sheer power it is one thing, learning materal from this album in under 12 hours and performing it live with the band that recorded it? That is another animal all together...

o_O

Great list, well done. You definitely know your stuff. I have all the albums listed and I couldn't agree more. The (3) VICIOUS RUMORS albums you mentioned are incredible. The only one that was a little surprising was RED DAWN - NEVER DAY SURRENDER, I have it, but never gave it much airplay. Based on your recommendation, I'll revisit it and give it another chance... :)

A cool one to have included would be ICON - NIGHT OF THE CRIME (1985)

-KYF

A cool one to have included would be ICON - NIGHT OF THE CRIME (1985)

Hell yes!...Agreed! One of my all time faves from start to finish.

I also liked the love that Malice received. All-in-all, I thought that entire list was spot on...looks like it's gonna end up dictating my around-the-house playlist for the weekend...

Rock on!