Artmore Hotel Update (4/13/12)

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
The Artmore Hotel is officially sold-out as of today. I realize that some of you were holding out hopes for booking a room this month as was previously announced by the Artmore. There has been a massive managerial transition at the hotel in the past few months. It has taken a few months to get details sorted out, especially given the trouble with the computers going down during the gold badge member reservation process last year. Evidently, that waiting list was longer than they realized when they made the statement about bookings in April. My understanding is that not even all of those on the gold badge waiting list were able to book rooms for this year, much less the general public.

I will announce any openings/room cancellations as I receive them as the date of the event draws near. That will be on a first come, first serve basis.

Although I work closely with the hotel to ensure things are as smooth as possible for all involved, I have no further details to share. I do not have control over any of the rooms other than my own personal band/crew block that has essentially remained the same for a decade. In regards to 2013, I have no details to share either. I will be sitting down with the Artmore management in a few months to see how they want to handle things going forward. I’ll do my best, but I cannot guarantee anything.

Still need a hotel? Details regarding other lodging options can be found here.

We strongly recommend not delaying in making your reservations.

SOLD OUT:
Artmore Hotel
Residence Inn at 17th Street (up the hill)
Super 8 (1/2 mile past venue)
Midtown Atlanta Hotel on 10th Street

~Jen

We strongly recommend not delaying in making your reservations.

I know it is probably beyond your control, but the fact that the Wed/Thurs show still hasn't been announced is a big reason why I haven't put in reservations. At some point, I might just have to say fuck it, I'm just going for the main show and make reservations accordingly.

In regards to the Wed/Thurs show, this is what I said previously on FB when asked in a Nightwish video post:

‎Matt Vicente Here is the deal. The announcement has been delayed for nearly three months and I have no idea when the *official* word is coming. However, I do understand that travel plans for either or both days need to be nailed down as soon as possible. I will not confirm or especially ***deny*** any rumor floating around. The only thing I will say is that I'm a fan of Woodard & Bernstein. - Glenn

I can't imagine how daunting this situation has been for you this year. I can only tell my experience as it has gone down:

Last year's Progpower announced this year's dates. I was staying at the Artmore, came back everyone was "mingling" in the courtyard, as was I. I went in to use the ladies room, came out saw a guy at the desk and thought "Hey, maybe I can put in my reservation now." So I attempted to do that only to be told their "Calendar system did not book that far in advance". So being that I am a secretary and work conferences and plan things a year in advance I thought "This doesn't feel right." Anyways, left Atlanta and then flew home to New York. I attempted to call later that week, again I was told about the calendar system, but that I should have my name put on a "Wait List". So again, as a secretary I sat and thought "Hmm, already a wait list? Then I figure ok, give them some slack maybe they are trying to upgrade their computerized booking system and they are collecting names." So I attempted to give my name only to be told "Call back tomorrow when the Reservations Manager _____ is here." So I'm like "Ok." I call back the following day, ask to be connected to the reservations manager only to be put straight through to this individual's voice mail. So I leave a chirpy message of "Hi, I'm Barbara ____ traveling from NY to Atlanta in September and wish to be put on the Progpower waiting list for a room" I then ask to get a courtesy call as to they received this and put my name on the list - THE CALL NEVER CAME!

I attempted to call last week to ask about things and was given a pile of gobbly gook of an excuse. I just don't know. It's a shame they are being such tools because they clearly are the closest venue and normally I can overlook a lot, but they are being very unprofessional at this point.

Good luck to everyone at finding accommodations this year.

I know it is probably beyond your control, but the fact that the Wed/Thurs show still hasn't been announced is a big reason why I haven't put in reservations. At some point, I might just have to say fuck it, I'm just going for the main show and make reservations accordingly.

Wednesday has been announced and since sold out. Essentially an evening with Jon Oliva. Even without a Thursday show, there's plenty to do around the ATL with fellow metal heads.:D But there will be one and the price is VERY reasonable compared to most 'headliner caliber' shows in a venue such as this. So, I really don't care who's playing...I just go to support the entire festival:popcorn:

Wednesday has been announced and since sold out. Essentially an evening with Jon Oliva. Even without a Thursday show, there's plenty to do around the ATL with fellow metal heads.:D But there will be one and the price is VERY reasonable compared to most 'headliner caliber' shows in a venue such as this. So, I really don't care who's playing...I just go to support the entire festival:popcorn:

Sorry..but there appears to be some confusion. Oliva is playing on Thursday afternoon before the main show that night. Both Wed/Thurs shows have not been "officially" announced yet.

I called the Artmore a few weeks ago and changed my check-in from Thursday to Wednesday. I just have a feeling I'm not going to want to miss both days. They were able to do this with no problem just using my existing confirmation number. That said, I'm glad I got my reservation when I did. I'd hate to have to deal with all of the sold out hotels now, or worse wait until the official Wed/Thurs announcement to try and book a room.

"Don't worry about a thing, every little thing's gonna be alright"...

Giggle...

Or how 'bout that quote in Game of Thrones last week? "Big fish eat the little fish and I keep paddling" :)

Regardless of what's playing Wednesday or Thursday -- and, I know we are all different -- I've already got my hotel booked and plane booked for the full four days. I mean, it's ProgPower. This happens once a year. Why not come to all four days?! Glenn, Jen, and their crew NEVER disappoint with a show.

I just don't see the point in being picky. If you can afford it, COME! AND DON'T DELAY!

On another note, I haven't been able to book hotels far enough in advance each year, so I have yet to stay in the Artmore, Residence, or any of the others. HOWEVER, if you have a rental car or can carpool / take a cheap taxi, every year I've stayed in the Country Inn and Suites (in Buckhead, GA, 800 Sidney Marcus BLVD). It's about a 5-8 minute super easy drive, they have free breakfast included, and I just bring a cooler in the rental car and park nearby so I have food / snacks if necessary. (I always support the venues, too, and buy drinks there.) And you don't pay for overnight parking.

And it's cheap. Under $100 a night.

I'm up for giving anyone more details if they are looking for a good alternative hotel solution.

Anyway, to sum it up: Come to all four days! And your trip isn't ruined if you're not at the Artmore. In fact, you'll be able to get a better night's sleep (unless, of course, you stay out at the Artmore courtyard all night ;) )

On another note, I haven't been able to book hotels far enough in advance each year, so I have yet to stay in the Artmore, Residence, or any of the others. HOWEVER, if you have a rental car or can carpool / take a cheap taxi, every year I've stayed in the Country Inn and Suites (in Buckhead, GA, 800 Sidney Marcus BLVD). It's about a 5-8 minute super easy drive, they have free breakfast included, and I just bring a cooler in the rental car and park nearby so I have food / snacks if necessary. (I always support the venues, too, and buy drinks there.) And you don't pay for overnight parking.

And it's cheap. Under $100 a night.

I'm up for giving anyone more details if they are looking for a good alternative hotel solution.

Given the amount of drunkenness most people reach at the fest, a hotel that you have to drive to isn't a good idea for a large percentage of the folks going.

But since it doesn't look like most people have a choice this year, this might be a relatively sober fest.

I know it depends on each hotel, but most do not charge a fee to make a reservation now.

~Jen

Regardless of what's playing Wednesday or Thursday -- and, I know we are all different -- I've already got my hotel booked and plane booked for the full four days. I mean, it's ProgPower. This happens once a year. Why not come to all four days?! Glenn, Jen, and their crew NEVER disappoint with a show.

THIS!!!! :headbang::kickass:

srosenblatt said:

It all has to do with price verses what I'll enjoy. ProgPower isn't cheap and it also isn't the only festival I go to. (I'm also going to NEARFest and probably will go to ProgDay) To be honest, I'm still really on the fence with this lineup (No offense to the organizers) and really Wed/Thurs could make all the difference in the world for me.

Yes, ProgPower is a blast. But the main reason why I come is still the bands, and it is why I come.

I know it depends on each hotel, but most do not charge a fee to make a reservation now.

I was hoping to try the Priceline/Hotwire thing again, but I guess that isn't going to happen this year.

I will not confirm or especially ***deny*** any rumor floating around. [/I]

Just curious...are you able to share whether the start time for Wednesday will be similar to past years?

I will definitely be attending Wed./Thurs. and already have my hotel booked, but am keeping an eye out for decent airfares...especially with Southwest flying into HotLanta now...

Just curious...are you able to share whether the start time for Wednesday will be similar to past years?

I will definitely be attending Wed./Thurs. and already have my hotel booked, but am keeping an eye out for decent airfares...especially with Southwest flying into HotLanta now...

Doors 7/Show 8 on both nights.

Given the amount of drunkenness most people reach at the fest, a hotel that you have to drive to isn't a good idea for a large percentage of the folks going.

But since it doesn't look like most people have a choice this year, this might be a relatively sober fest.

I do agree with that. But, I mean, my friends will tell you. I drink. I love me some beer. And I start at 2pm. But, when 12-1am comes around, I chill out and drink more water. And by the time 5 am or so comes around and people are dispersing for bed, I'm more than sober enough to drive. It's not like it's a 3-hour show.

There are also taxis. And, based on the hotel prices of places nearby, (like the one where I'm staying), hotel + taxi every night would still be cheaper than a hotel room at the Artmore or Residence Inn, believe it or not.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that what I'm doing is better -- I wanted to get a room at the Residence this year, and couldn't -- but both price-wise and responsibly, it can be done without "ruining" your fest experience.