Atlanta Aquarium side trip?

Yippee38

Living the dream!
Oct 8, 2002
Somewhere at 33,000'
Visit site
Anybody planning to go to the new aquarium while down in Atlanta this year? Yardley and I would like to check it out. It's always more fun to go with a group though.

How far is it from the venue area? (too lazy to look it up)

Yippee38 said:
Anybody planning to go to the new aquarium while down in Atlanta this year? Yardley and I would like to check it out. It's always more fun to go with a group though.

How far is it from the venue area? (too lazy to look it up)

I'm planning to head there at some point, but I don't know when yet. I'll need to figure it out soon so I can buy tickets. They make you buy tickets for certain time periods. o.0

I THINK - but I'm not positive - that it's near the CNN center and the Olympic Park so it's quite a ways away.

I was planning to get some folks together for a Friday morning trip . . .

We have to be back in time for the early GB opening of the CD vendors, so it would be an early trip. They open at 9 am. I've heard it is real easy to get to, right off of the MARTA.

Steve in Philly

I think BABS wanted to set something up as well. And I would be interested depending on the time frame. I'm off work Friday so I have all day until the Gold Badge folks are allowed into the vendor area. :)

And just so you know - yes, the Aquarium has it set up so you buy your tickets and visit during a one-hour 'window'. This assures you that you won't be overwhelmed with foot traffic during your visit. This may or may not change after the newness of the aquarium wears off.

the Aquarium is down by Centennial Park.

it's like 4-5 stops down on MARTA from where Center Stage is, so only 10-12 minutes on the train.

I'd say get off at Peachtree Center Station and walk...but that's just me.

And oh yeah, the Aquarium was kind of lame and not that great, and not worth the $30 to get in. Skip that and do something else.

The Aquarium is wildly popular as it's still new. You can try, but its' unlikely that you'll be able to get tickets for your time frame on this short notice. As to whether it's worth $30... that depends on how much you like otters and whale sharks.

I thought the aquarium was pretty damn cool when I went. It definitely helps to go on a weekday, when the crowds are slightly smaller. It's a little bit of a walk from eithe rof the closest Marta stations - Peachtree Center or CNN Center. It's basically on the far side of Centennial Park. I would plan on spending at least 2 hours once you get inside the aquarium, too.

www.GeorgiaAquarium.org

--Mike

The wife and I bought our tickets 2 months ago. I am very excited about going. As I have 2 aquariums at home. So I like that kind of stuff. Whale Sharks and Baluga whales in captitvity, that's badass

Yeah, I was hoping to go, but perhaps not until next year. I'd rather wait until the crowds die down a bit; I hate fighting for tickets to an event.

I'll wait for everyone to grasp the irony here. :)

Hi guys!!!! Yes, I have been trying to poll a few people and see what day works best. For a lot of people, it looks like Friday works. Which is fine by me. I'm going to call the aquarium and see if it's possible to get a "group rate/discount" and maybe all we'd have to do is show our PP badges or maybe the black concert tees will give us all away (lol).

I'll let you know what I find out!

Ok, just got off the horn with the aquarium. I had dialed their main number and selected the option for group rates. The rates per group are $20.50 (adults). Now here's where it presents a problem, to register at a group rate, they would want us to guarantee X amount of people and pay ahead of time. I had asked "Is it possible since we are all in town for a convention (lol) to show our badges and then get the discounted rate on a "pay the day of visit" and they told me "No."

I am going to try to call back and see if I can speak to someone "higher up the chain" to see if there's a way of not having all of us pay in advance. I think this late in the game attempting to gather $$$ from people would be crazy.

I'm a scuba diver, so seeing a whale shark at all is an awesome thing :)

Babs, thanks for making a call. Can you find out the number of people = "X". Maybe we can get a quickie collection using PayPal or something (even with PayPal service charges, it would still be cheaper than paying full price).

As for agreeing on a time, why don't we just plan to be there at opening 9 am, to give everyone time to get back, eat lunch, and then spend all our money on CDs?

Steve in Philly

DarkOne said:
Babs, thanks for making a call. Can you find out the number of people = "X". Maybe we can get a quickie collection using PayPal or something (even with PayPal service charges, it would still be cheaper than paying full price).

As for agreeing on a time, why don't we just plan to be there at opening 9 am, to give everyone time to get back, eat lunch, and then spend all our money on CDs?

Steve in Philly

Your welcome! Ok, according the the website a group is 15 or more people, when I spoke to the girl on the phone she said 25 people???? Very odd.

Would you be willing to set up the paypal thing?

As for 9 am on Friday - only thing holding me back is the night before is the Pre-party and I don't know who will all have their heads lifted off their pillows that early in the morning (lol).

DarkOne said:
I was planning to get some folks together for a Friday morning trip . . .

We have to be back in time for the early GB opening of the CD vendors, so it would be an early trip. They open at 9 am. I've heard it is real easy to get to, right off of the MARTA.

Steve in Philly
I still want to go ... Brent W. wanted to go as well if I remember right. My buddy Pat would probably be up for it as well. Getting there at opening time is fine with me. I usually wake up fairly early anyway. What do you think the odds are of that place being sold out if we got there when it opened? If the odds for a sellout aren't very good we'd probably be best off to just buy our tickets then. If enough people showed up at 9:00 we could try to negotiate a group rate then. Heck, I dunno?

Britt

DarkTide said:
I usually wake up fairly early anyway. What do you think the odds are of that place being sold out if we got there when it opened?
Britt

Britt,

If enough people are interested, we might be able to get both a guaranteed time and a group rate. I'll check out the PayPal fees tonight and see what it would cost to collect money early (if anyone goes for that plan).

If not, they'll just have a horde of blackshirted metalheads storming the place . . . that works just as well.

Steve in Philly