Aussie Metal Producers

Skyweaver

Shred or Die !
Jul 9, 2005
Australia
www.luthor.info
I've been having some discussions with band mates recently and it came up that there is a lack of aussie metal producers.....so is there an album or producer that comes close to "Sneap" quality albums in Australia?

indeed there are a lack !

the only one i know of who is any good is DW Norton

I used to be a Metal producer in Perth,WA but i have moved back to Singapore due to compulsory national service

I still do mixing and mastering work and can send u samples of my stuff if u know anyone who is interested.

currently u can find 2 (128bit mp3 )samples of bands i have produced and mixed on an Australian label called Prime Cuts.

http://www.primecuts.com.au/downloads/index.php

download : Left Ablaze - Step inside and Dyscord - Suffer in Silence

regards

Roland

Hey Roland,

I was over in Perth this year and had the same discussion, there was Endal Rivers but he has also moved out of Australia.

I know Moonlapse from this board does some awesome work too.

Theron Rennison is another name that was mentioned...

I'm thinking its maybe the amount of home studios that have started up that have lead to the decline of the producer....and the producer is just so important

Ah yes, DW Norton, the Eye of the Enemy guys mentioned him in passing when we were doing their EP.

Apparently some friends of theirs had recorded with him. What I found funny was that he didn't like their drum kit at all, so they went out and spent hundreds on hiring another kit, which was ultimately completely sample replaced anyway, haha. But apparently the end result was good. I don't know, I've yet to hear!

Another good one is/was John Hresc. He worked out of powerhouse studios sydney. Done Armoured Angel and Alchemist i think.

forrester savell did a good job on the karnivool album. i know he was gonna be working with sunk loto before they decided to call it a day.

forrester savell did a good job on the karnivool album. i know he was gonna be working with sunk loto before they decided to call it a day.

Forrester is an amazing engineer and mixer ,i know the Karnivool boys pretty well having played with them a couple of times

but he's not really a metal producer !

Hey Roland,

I was over in Perth this year and had the same discussion, there was Endal Rivers but he has also moved out of Australia.

I know Moonlapse from this board does some awesome work too.

Theron Rennison is another name that was mentioned...

I'm thinking its maybe the amount of home studios that have started up that have lead to the decline of the producer....and the producer is just so important

Where did Endel go? Back to Estonia (I think that's where he was from), or did he go to Germany for that orchestral project?

I'm not sure which country, but I know he's gone to follow his musical playing interests, he's still got a connection with Oz, so maybe he will return......its like everything on this musically backward island.....once someone gets good - they leave ! :(

Yeah, it's a shame. Like I was ranting to you earlier, Skyweaver, our music industry just doesn't seem to accommodate people at the top of their game. I have my reservations about Endel's production style though, so I'm not sure whether he fits within my categorization. It seems though that people that have recorded with Endel generally seem to have a good view of him. Christian was fairly impressed with his knowledge, and Sterge (envenomed) claims he'd learned a lot from his experiences.

What I find funny is that some people on this very forum are pulling sounds better than the very best metal mixes that come out of this country. I've actually yet to hear an Australian metal band, recorded here, that really makes me say 'damn, that really rivals nordstrom and sneap'.

indeed there are a lack !

the only one i know of who is any good is DW Norton

I used to be a Metal producer in Perth,WA but i have moved back to Singapore due to compulsory national service

I still do mixing and mastering work and can send u samples of my stuff if u know anyone who is interested.

currently u can find 2 (128bit mp3 )samples of bands i have produced and mixed on an Australian label called Prime Cuts.

http://www.primecuts.com.au/downloads/index.php

download : Left Ablaze - Step inside and Dyscord - Suffer in Silence

regards

Roland

I'd probably agree with the DW comment as far as modern metal production goes. I'm 99% sure this is his work: http://www.myspace.com/daysendmusic

I will also agree with what ML said about the stuff we hear on thisd forum too, though. Alot of the better produced Oz releases are either local products that just sound dull, or have had an international contribution to pull them up to scratch.

Yeah they mention him on the page.

I always find myspace stuff so uninspiring to listen to. I either didn't like those tracks, or the compression is just destroying them. Drums are fairly large though, everything else I'm a bit indifferent about.

yep DW did the Daysend, he also did a mate of mines

honestly nothing Australia has produced in this genre competes with what's coming out on this forum....but then again, look at who's on the forum lol

I just can't work out why Australia is so producer-less....we have some great musicians, again I keep coming back to the bedroom/mbox thats killed off or discounted the worth of a Producer whereas,

more than ever I think producers are important to help get the best results .....

I think it all comes back down to the fact that a "large" (pop) artist will sell 30,000 -50,000 albums in Oz. Whereas in the US for example, that figure is much larger, so for many people there is more "worth" in putting money into producing.

I just did a gig at the Espy last night where the inhouse guy shared similar sentiments. He gets a lot of bands through there and whenever he asks 'oh yeah, how'd you do your EP' the answer is predominantly 'oh my mate has an mbox...' or 'ah yeah, on my computer at home'.

It's the widespread availability of recording software that's undercutting the role of producer/engineer while at the same time degrading the overall sound quality of CD releases. This isn't an Australian phenomenon... it's worldwide.