Avant-Prog?

Aug 31, 2004
I've gotten a feel for this festival now as being a bit more on the Power side than on the Prog side of the line (like Prog-Power Europe), and it seems to me that that's about the way it works on the board here also. But I was wondering how many people here are more into Prog and really even sliding into the Avant-Garde section of metal/music. Going from maybe the real Prog Metal things like Pain Of Salvation, Devin Townsend, that I know are popular here to the more Progressive/Avant-Garde like Arcturus, Mr. Bungle, Solefald, Fantomas, and even into the Avant-Garde that's not really metal......Ulver, John Zorn, etc. Just wondering how many people here can call themselves "Avant-Garde Fans." I would love to see some of those bands more on the Avant-Garde side featured at a festival like this, but I don't see it happening. I'm hopeful for Arcturus, as they're something I might call "Progressive," and they seem to be getting even more exposure, but I don't think something like Solefald or Fantomas would ever make an appearance here.

Edit: Oh, and I can't believe I forgot the best metal band with female vocals ever, Atrox. Tarja needs to step over, because this band is so great. Unfortunately Monika Edvardsen (their vocalist) has left the band, so no Prog-Power for them.

I'm going to order their debut album from The End in my next order, just because I've heard such great things about it. I think I can generally trust that bands on The End will be great.

Bryan316 said:
What the fuck does Avant-Garde mean anyways....
"Avant" is a Latin word, which means "sounds like". "Garde", on the other hand, is actually a Greek word, but because it's considered to be slang, you likely wouldn't find it in a Greek dictionary. It means "crap" or "warm poo".

Zod

Warm poo...hehe! Soft and squishy...

Nice image...

Your post made me spew coffee all over my screen AND fall off my chair. Mattias would not approve.

Great response!

Rock on!

Green Carnation, who I think Glenn has already ruled out as being damn-near impossible to book for PPUSA (alas and damnit), would fuckin' rule. --Just as long as they were contractually required to play all, or most, of Light of Day, Day of Darkness. :D

Pellaz said:
Green Carnation, who I think Glenn has already ruled out as being damn-near impossible to book for PPUSA...
I wonder why. They're playing some little Canadian fest later this year.

Pellaz said:
Just as long as they were contractually required to play all, or most, of Light of Day, Day of Darkness. :D
Really? I think that was the most overhyped disc (thwe year it came out). I like the new one, but I haven't listened to my copy of "Light of Day" since a few weeks after I bought it.

Zod

Barking Pumpkin said:
Going from maybe the real Prog Metal things like Pain Of Salvation, Devin Townsend, that I know are popular here to the more Progressive/Avant-Garde like Arcturus, Mr. Bungle, Solefald, Fantomas, and even into the Avant-Garde that's not really metal......Ulver, John Zorn, etc. Just wondering how many people here can call themselves "Avant-Garde Fans."
That description fits me best. I definitely like more "prog" stuff than power-driven prog. For me to like power metal, the band has to be at least a little original. Kamelot, Angra, Tad Morose come to mind.

But pretty much everything else you mentioned I would drool over. Ulver are gods and Devin Townsend owns this board and everyone's favourite band. Zorn is amazing, Arcturus kicks ass, Garden Wall is unique, Spiral Architect rules, Opeth owns, Porcupine Tree is brilliant, etc.

Does that qualify me for "avant-garde" or not? :)

I think if you like John Zorn you're licensed to say you like avant-garde.....^_^

What albums do you have? I've just moved in this direction since Christmas, and I have 'Spillane,' 'The Bribe,' and 'Naked City,' soon probably to be six. I really love his work.

General Zod said:
I wonder why. They're playing some little Canadian fest later this year.

Hey, let's hope you're right and I'm wrong. I'd love to see Green Carnation over here....almost as much as I'm hoping to catch Dead Can Dance on their reunion tour.