Avian (revisited)

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
This is geared mainly toward the people that this release quietly slipped through the cracks without notice. Avian is a side project from our very own Lance King and Yan Leviathan. The music is best described as melodic power metal, but definitley has it's own personality. It has killer guitar work courtesy of Yan, along with Lance's signature vocals. Avian's From The Depths of Time is a crunchy power metal release, with a touch of thrash influence sprinkled in. I'm not sure if the band intended for someone to get thrash elements out of the music, but leave it to me to get that! :) Another thing that stands out to me is the production, because it's not overly done. It's raw and punchy without sounding too slick in other words.

Avian's debut "From The Depths of Time" is one of my favorite releases within recent years, but I think it would've been overlooked by me if I hadn't heard a sample from the ProgPower compilation two years ago. That's why I wanted to bring it up right before ProgPower, because I'm sure the Nightmare Records table will have some in stock. If you haven't listened to this release, because it's been swallowed up by hundreds of other releases, then do yourself a favor and pick up Avian's "From The Depths of Time" at ProgPower this year. :headbang:

~Brian~

yes, this is a great album, start to finish. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys American Melodic Power Metal with a sprinkling of Euro-metal influences. Some of Lance's best vocal work I've heard is included on this debut from Avian.

And I agree that the album is well-produced without being overdone - very good first effort, and I look forward to the next one, and the next, and...

BRING IT!!! :headbang:

They also have a new album coming out fairly soon. While I do like it quite a bit, it could be better. I think the production could be a little bit better imo. I believe I discussed this with Lance at one point in time and he said it was first time producing or something, so he told me to give him a break, which made me chuckle. Someone correct me if am wrong, but I am pretty sure I had a discussion with him at PP VII about it.

Wow Metalsped, you're really helping me prove my point here. Classy move...

~Brian~

Man, I don't think he did anything wrong. This is an open forum and I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. You're stating yours about the album and how much you love it and want people to pick it up, and that's fine. It's not like he's really doing this on purpose to burst your bubble, but instead he's stating his opinion.

Now in regards to Avian, I'll be very honest. I have friends who love this album. Lance King is an outstanding vocalist and his performance on the Avian debut is solid. However, I didn't like the music. To me it sounds like nothing new, it doesn't work whatsoever, not to say I find it a weak disc overall. Maybe I should listen to it more, but I'm not sure if this would chance. However, I heard that Avian's songwriting improved a lot and I look forward to hear the second disc and give them a second chance. I would love to see these guys putting out a good album soon and make me become a fan.

Now, personal taste aside, if you guys don't know Avian check it out. The folks in the band (including Yan) are awesome guys and maybe their music will grab you. It didn't grab me. Not yet. Give them a chance! :)

Man, I don't think he did anything wrong. This is an open forum and I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. You're stating yours about the album and how much you love it and want people to pick it up, and that's fine. It's not like he's really doing this on purpose to burst your bubble, but instead he's stating his opinion.

Well, in all honesty he didn't state his opinion, he just came in and offered a give away. How else am I suppose to take it?

~Brian~

It's hard to say you don't like something produced by someone you've actually met, and who are great guys, but...

I didn't like it. I can't say it sucks, because I know quality when I hear it, but it just didn't make me want to listen more than a couple of times.

Now, personal taste aside, if you guys don't know Avian check it out. The folks in the band (including Yan) are awesome guys and maybe their music will grab you. It didn't grab me. Not yet. Give them a chance! :)
I saw the guys live, and picked up their CD. For some reason, it didn't grab me as much as the live show. It took a few spins for it to grow back into me, but it did. I agree it is underrated, but overall it is a very good album. Looking forward to their next release!! :kickass:

untitled.jpg

Finally an appropriate time to use such a picture. Sorry I pissed in any of your cheerios. I am a huge Lance fan, and actually met some of the Avian guys... and they were cool (one of the reasons I picked the disc up). It wasn't my cup of tea. Should I hide this from the world? I buy a LOT of cds every year (I am well over 150 for the year), and some just don't make the cut. Should I keep this cd just to inflate my count? Nah... why not try to give a fan the chance to make their own determination on the band?

SO... the original offer stands. I am trying to spread the word on them by giving this cd out. Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

untitled.jpg

Finally an appropriate time to use such a picture. Sorry I pissed in any of your cheerios. I am a huge Lance fan, and actually met some of the Avian guys... and they were cool (one of the reasons I picked the disc up). It wasn't my cup of tea. Should I hide this from the world? I buy a LOT of cds every year (I am well over 150 for the year), and some just don't make the cut. Should I keep this cd just to inflate my count? Nah... why not try to give a fan the chance to make their own determination on the band?

SO... the original offer stands. I am trying to spread the word on them by giving this cd out. Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

I apologize if I've caused any hard feelings, but your original post just hit me wrong. Normally, I try not to take things personal when it comes to the forum, but sometimes I slip up. I think it's a great cd and should at least be listened to, so I felt like your original post contradicted what I was asking people to do. Anyway, it's no big deal. :kickass:

~Brian~

LOL, well certainly not my first production, but my first mixing of a demo into an album ; )
fyi, the new thing will be far superior, at least this time I won't spend 6 months trying to get a drummer in time and 5 different drum kit's
from 10 different sessions to sound similar lol. All in all the production Yan wanted was more raw....I could have mixed the vox a bit louder though,
my bad, sometimes you get too close to something ; ) Anyway the remastered version I think is far better than the original pressing,
Tommy didn't keep enough punch in it for the raw approach I think when he mastered it initially, I decided to do this again for the second pressing.
You'll know this version simply by the picture of Dave Ellefson on the back of the disc. It's a very strait forward album, some great moments on it
but certainly old school.

I saw the guys live, and picked up their CD. For some reason, it didn't grab me as much as the live show.

As the only person on the planet to see every one of their live performances (unless someone's lurking out there that I don't know about), I think I can speak with some authority on this point :D

I'm a person would generally likes a band better on CD than live, simply because I like it when every piece sounds perfect (especially the vocals), as it does in studio. For some reason, I had the same experience as you. Expect that I listened in reverse order: I got the album first. I listened to it a lot. I liked it, but it wasn't one of my favorites. I found I like the stuff much better live. Which of course has lead me to like listening to the album even more (now one of my favs), but I still prefer hearing it live. I can't get enough of the song The Depths of Time.

If anyone is checking them out online, I've found the most high quality stuff to be at http://cdbaby.com/cd/avian - two minute clips of all the tracks from the first album. Of course, if you like it, make sure to BUY IT FROM LANCE at ProgPower!

SeaStorm, I take it from your location you were at Swordlord's Minneapolis show with Gamma Ray headlining. Cellador was also on the bill. That show simply slayed!!!!