Bad vendor alert: Impulse Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordering from Ken and Lance means you will get your shit fast and safe. CD Inzane... There's been numerous stories here... decide yourself...

As for Impulse, I got a cd from them off ebay. I bought it on a Wed, it was mailed Thursday and was in the mailbox Saturday.

Hey, I would not blame you if you never bought from them again. The guy that owns that place is a jagoff. He does not even have a decent sign for the front of his store since they relocated years ago. That owner talks out of his ass half of the time. I don't go there too often, but when I do, he is on the phone. Impossible.

I ordered several of their Pulse Records CD's about 10 years ago, but only received a partial shipment. The order was never completely filled despite e-mailed assurances to the contrary. I've never gone back.

My purchases preferences...

The End = 90%
The Laser's Edge = 5%
Miscellaneous vendors for hard to find Black Metal releases = 5%.

I'd use TLE more, but I'm in state and have to pay tax.

Zod

My preferences are pretty close to that:

The End - 60%
Nightmare-Records - 20%
Amazon/Marketplace - 10%
Other vendors - 10%

I'm glad this thread was posted because I scour the world looking for certain CDs, and I've learned a lot from this thread. I won't order from Impulse (there's no excuse for sloppy service like that, none)...and I've read a few things about CDInzane that give me pause, too.

Thankfully, the Internet has literally put the world at my fingertips. With so many choices to make, I'm always happy to read posts like this one that provides first-hand insights into the reputation of the vendors. It helps save me from a lot of grief.

So...

I'm sorry the friend of the originator of this thread has had such trouble with Impulse. But I'm glad the trouble was made known to everyone so that we could avoid it.

By the way, regarding extra charges for "insurance" on shipments...it's a scam. Like buying an extended warranty when you buy a cell phone or DVD player from one of those chain appliance stores. By law, a seller is required to replace/reship any item not received. So you're out nothing (but time) there. And damage occurs so rarely that paying extra for "insurance" is just plain silly. I've ordered many thousands of dollars worth of CDs over the past eight years. I've only had two orders lost. And, out of those hundreds of CDs, only a couple of them arrived with cracked jewel cases, which I replaced for less than a buck apiece with cases I have on hand for just such an occasion.

I never recommend paying extra for "insurance" on orders. 99% of the time, that only benefits the seller.

Sorry to jump into this thread but I wanted to correct the above comment. The Laser's Edge is privately owned and operated by myself for the past 20 years. We own three labels: The Laser's Edge, Sensory, and Free Electric Sound.

(Thank you for the nice comments).

Ken Golden

Sorry to confuse you with somebody else. I'm glad to hear that as I've always had a good experience shopping from TLE, and will continue to order from you.

PCW: I agree with all you said. My only real contention is the attitude difference. I don't expect any kind of special treatment, but I will always return to vendors that gave me no problems. Hell I ordered from an artist, and twice the CD was lost. The third time the artist sent me about 8 of them so I could distribute or sell or do whatever I wanted with them. He even signed one of them. Respect for life.

PCW: I agree with all you said. My only real contention is the attitude difference. I don't expect any kind of special treatment, but I will always return to vendors that gave me no problems. Hell I ordered from an artist, and twice the CD was lost. The third time the artist sent me about 8 of them so I could distribute or sell or do whatever I wanted with them. He even signed one of them. Respect for life.

I think the band "Hanson" has so many extra CD's lying around that they were just happy to get rid of the extra 7 copies.

I think the band "Hanson" has so many extra CD's lying around that they were just happy to get rid of the extra 7 copies.

lol. Yeah well... I need some mmm bop.

Actually it was Andrew Bordoni (any fan of Savatage or Kamelot should love his Earthcubed albums).

By the way, regarding extra charges for "insurance" on shipments...it's a scam. Like buying an extended warranty when you buy a cell phone or DVD player from one of those chain appliance stores. By law, a seller is required to replace/reship any item not received.

Would you care to cite this law, because I propose that no such law as you describe it, in fact exists.

By the way, regarding extra charges for "insurance" on shipments...it's a scam. Like buying an extended warranty when you buy a cell phone or DVD player from one of those chain appliance stores.

Incorrect. Shipping insurance isn't extra money going in the seller's pocket, it's money that goes to the post office/carrier. The PO/Carrier returns the insured value to the shipper if the product is lost/damaged in the mail. If you don't have shipping insurance, you don't get squat. This is especially important when shipping expensive items overseas. (However, some sellers out there on small items never pay the shipping insurance and pocket the money...and if something gets lost, they'll send out to you. It's a stinky practice.)

By law, a seller is required to replace/reship any item not received. So you're out nothing (but time) there. And damage occurs so rarely that paying extra for "insurance" is just plain silly.

There is no such law. Also, damage is not as rare as you think. I was very glad when I ordered my Laney stack that they used UPS because one of the UPS guys in transit beat the shit out of the box with one of the cabinets...dropped it off the truck several times, etc. By the time it arrived, all of the speakers had ripped from the housing and were broken inside the case. Had the distributor used a carrier besides UPS and not paid for insurance (which is sort-of built in to UPS packages) I would have been screwed out of a cabinet.

I never recommend paying extra for "insurance" on orders. 99% of the time, that only benefits the seller.

Shipping insurance is very situational. It strongly depends on what is being shipped where and if you just blanketly say insurance is a scam, you're giving people terrible advice. For my brother's business, which mostly involves shipping things overseas to Europe, Australia and military bases in the Middle East, shipping insurance is an absolute necessity on big orders (ESPECIALLY to Italy because of how much customer scamming goes on there because of a loophole in their stupid postal system).

Did you ever discover the "cancel" button to your order when using www.cdinzane.com if you don't want what you could not control your fingers to do early? It's just another option, that way you can have it preordered, then jump outta line last minute if you want to get it somewhere else...

Incorrect. Shipping insurance isn't extra money going in the seller's pocket, it's money that goes to the post office/carrier.

Correct on all counts. I totally misspoke myself. I meant "insurance" on CD orders, which pale in comparison to major equipment (guitars, equipment, etc.) purchased via mail. I don't refer to the kind of insurance one can purchase from a shipper (USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc.). I refer to charges tacked on to an order by a seller of merchandise -- in this case CDs. As I wrote earlier, I've ordered countless hundreds of CDs in the past eight years. Only twice was my order lost. The shipper immediately replaced it. Only 4-5 times was a CD's jewel case damaged.

The laws to which I referred protect the buyer during the buying process. It's the Federal Trade Commission's "30-Day Rule." It's very specific regarding when a product must be shipped, and what must be told to the customer when it isn't. Consumers aren't generally aware of the protections they have when ordering by phone or mail. But the Federal government takes a dim view of bait-and-switch, prolonged delays, or sloppy service. Basically, a seller has to ship within 30 days. If that doesn't happen, the seller has to provide the buyer with a very good reason why that didn't happen, and allow for the order to be canceled.

The "laws" protecting a consumer after a product is shipped vary by state and nearly always come back to filing a complaint with the BBB.

Regardless if laws exist or not, I have yet to run into a seller that didn't honor the "do unto others" code of ethics and make good on an order if it got lost. The reason why is they're afraid of just this type of thing: Posts (and, sometimes, entire sites) on the Internet alerting other buyers to the problems. Any seller who wishes to continue doing business abides by the "law" of common courtesy. After that, one must turn to the FTC or to one's state attorney general's consumer protection office for action beyond that.

I would -- always -- buy insurance if I purchased an expensive, easily broken piece of equipment. That makes perfect sense to me.

I've ordered from Impulse in the past, but it's been over three years. Back then I never had any problems, but I thought their shipping charges were too high. With that said, I quit ordering from them all together.

I feel sort of lucky, because I can actually walk into a store in Knoxville, TN called the Disc Exchange and pretty much find what I'm looking for.

~Brian~

Correct on all counts. I totally misspoke myself. I meant "insurance" on CD orders, which pale in comparison to major equipment (guitars, equipment, etc.) purchased via mail. I don't refer to the kind of insurance one can purchase from a shipper (USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc.). I refer to charges tacked on to an order by a seller of merchandise -- in this case CDs. As I wrote earlier, I've ordered countless hundreds of CDs in the past eight years. Only twice was my order lost. The shipper immediately replaced it. Only 4-5 times was a CD's jewel case damaged.

The laws to which I referred protect the buyer during the buying process. It's the Federal Trade Commission's "30-Day Rule." It's very specific regarding when a product must be shipped, and what must be told to the customer when it isn't. Consumers aren't generally aware of the protections they have when ordering by phone or mail. But the Federal government takes a dim view of bait-and-switch, prolonged delays, or sloppy service. Basically, a seller has to ship within 30 days. If that doesn't happen, the seller has to provide the buyer with a very good reason why that didn't happen, and allow for the order to be canceled.

The "laws" protecting a consumer after a product is shipped vary by state and nearly always come back to filing a complaint with the BBB.

Regardless if laws exist or not, I have yet to run into a seller that didn't honor the "do unto others" code of ethics and make good on an order if it got lost. The reason why is they're afraid of just this type of thing: Posts (and, sometimes, entire sites) on the Internet alerting other buyers to the problems. Any seller who wishes to continue doing business abides by the "law" of common courtesy. After that, one must turn to the FTC or to one's state attorney general's consumer protection office for action beyond that.

I would -- always -- buy insurance if I purchased an expensive, easily broken piece of equipment. That makes perfect sense to me.

The Insurance they're charging you IS the shipping insurance. It's an extra cost when they mail that they have to charge you so they can pay it when they ship it. Not shipping something within 30 days is completely different from shipping something that gets lost. Charging any other kind of insurance is not legal.

You're backpedaling completely here. I said you're incorrect, you say you are correct and then completely divert the subject away from my argument.

I stopped buying from CDInzane after they twice cancelled my entire order out from under me. I had Tarja's solo pre-ordered for months along with several other CDs and they cancelled the entire order right before Christmas because their prices went up on one title. The second time was for the latest Avantasia and several other CDs. Same story on that one; they cancelled the entire order because their price went up on one disc. They wouldn't even let me have the other CDs at the price I originally ordered them for and they had all gone up a buck or two. The way I see it, once I've placed an order and they accepted, I have committed to buy it and they have committed to sell it to me at the agreed upon price. Am I wrong?

I wonder how much more profit they have lost through greed and poor service than they would've lost by sending me the discs at the advertised price?

Though seriously... you should send in The Michael, the local heat. Threaten the owner that you'll have The Michael personally deliver a case of Peroni every Friday until the order arrives...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

BEtter yet, tell the owner that The Michael is going to drink a case of Peroni and then hang out with their family talking their ear off until they ship the items... :lol:

I'm also one of the lucky ones - I can usually pop into Best Buy or Amoeba Records and find what I'm looking for. (Amoeba has EVERYTHING). When I do feel the need to order, I'm strictly an Amazon guy. For some reason, I feel safe with them.....

I'm strictly an Amazon guy. For some reason, I feel safe with them.....

I order a lot from Amazon myself, but it's mostly just mainstream stuff. They can be pricey on the prog and power metal at times, so I avoid Amazon when it comes to that. I've gotten to where I utilize their MP3 digital service some as well.

~Brian~

I am sure the Q will be chimming in soon. He works there you know.

If The_Q does end up chiming in, I'll just link back to the thread where he gripes about the big chains "forcing out the little guy".

Silence says a lot.

I guess Q is damned either way, just for working there, whether he contributes to this thread or not.

You guys can say whatever you want about Impulse, its business practices, etc., but everyone needs to just back the fuck up off Q. He's not a bad guy, and he doesn't run the place; he just happens to work there and post here.

Seriously, did you really expect someone to participate in a thread in which everyone is bashing their job and their employer?

Status
Not open for further replies.