Bane Of Winterstorm album release (Power metal fans)

Melb_shredder

Orpheus: Melodic Death
Mar 9, 2008
Melbourne
Bane Of Winterstorm, one of Australia's quickest upcoming power metal bands is about to drop their debut album, 'The Last Sons Of Perylin' I tracked and mixed this and it was mastered at Crystal Mastering in Melbourne.

If you're into this sort of stuff, you should really check out the epic pre order pack. It's amazing! TShirt, Album, Novel, Wax Sealed Letter of Authenticity and Map of Orthanos.

http://baneofwinterstorm.com/produc...sons-of-perylin-dark-order-edition-pre-order/

Here's the single. NOT mastered yet but enjoy. I'd love your thoughts on this guys :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Super nice. And yeah sounds exactly like rhapsody haha. But without the singers atroicious accent! What where used for the strings etc? It sounds very good but maybe a bit to overpowering keeping it at that level incthe mix all the time. But good work!

Cheers mate. Actually, that decision on the volume of the synths was entirely by the band. I had them fluctuating and lower overall for the whole album, but they didn't want that. So I mean, I had to oblige, it's their album. It was the East West stuff. The gutiarist programmed it all. 110 tracks per song sometimes for all the instruments. Usually 30-40 synths minimum to deal with at a time haha. Good fun.

Nice mix man! I think maybe dominating synths are in this season. Did you hear the last Dragonland album?

Thanks mate, glad you like it.

I'm going to assume you missed the part where Jonas from Dragonland did guest vocals on the track I linked hehe. The guys are big Dragonland fans and friends but also love lots of american stuff too. The album itself has a nice mix of everything, but the synths are definitely a focus point.

And I LOVE Under The Grey Banner, another epic work by Jacob Hansen <3
The guys who did their artwork also did the Bane Of Winterstorm artwork haha.

I know Jonas did some vocals, your mix just reminded me of Grey Banner, being so orchestral driven! Jacob Hansen is certainly a genius. And obviously this mix is pro as fuck too. Nice one!

I know Jonas did some vocals, your mix just reminded me of Grey Banner, being so orchestral driven! Jacob Hansen is certainly a genius. And obviously this mix is pro as fuck too. Nice one!

Thanks again dude, that means a lot! Probably goes to show how much the band's input mattered, because I'd not heard Under The Grey Banner until after mixing this when the band introduced me to it :) they had a very clear idea of what they wanted. It was a buttload of work haha! Most tracks I've ever dealt with. Some songs hitting 115 tracks

Jesus fuck. So what was your approach to mixing it? Everything must have been fighting for space I bet. Any pro lessons/tips you've learnt from mixing this stuff you could share?

I made the mistake of treatin it like a regular mix for the first few days... Couldn't get the synths to fit at all vocals either... Then I realized I had to basically carve the shit out of every element until it only took up its respective frequency area without much overlap. Guitars are pretty thin but middy, the bass is very much just lowend toughness with a touch of clang, the drums are very slappy and cutting and the synths fill out the rest.
I found compression and eq being the crux of the synth work and crafty verb use for the space etc. It took a long time for me to be happy, but I am now :)

I'll upload a Mastered track soon! :) even better than this without a doubt!

EDIT: oh... Automation ... SO much volume automation

It felt pretty epic reading the member bios with this song in the background. The Rhapsody influence is obvious in the vocals for sure, and it's cool, I don't think the music is THAT influenced by RoF though, much slower, more mid tempo stuff. Awesome mix, even though the synth are strongly present, I wouldn't say they are overpowering at all, there's good balance, even more merit if there were so many synth tracks in the mix, I know I would've started cutting out at least half of it until I was able to achieve a decent balance hahaha

It felt pretty epic reading the member bios with this song in the background. The Rhapsody influence is obvious in the vocals for sure, and it's cool, I don't think the music is THAT influenced by RoF though, much slower, more mid tempo stuff. Awesome mix, even though the synth are strongly present, I wouldn't say they are overpowering at all, there's good balance, even more merit if there were so many synth tracks in the mix, I know I would've started cutting out at least half of it until I was able to achieve a decent balance hahaha

Totally dude :D It's not quite as camp and upbeat as Rhapsody, but the stylings and note choice are definitely there. Yeah it's interesting.. I like to think of it as Synths and Vocals, accompanied by a metal band, if that makes sense? Because once I got that in mind, that's when I started making the right decisions in the mix that the band wanted. It didn't work out over the first week or so at all. But then it came together :)

Mix is really good, that kind of stuff is always a huge challange...altho I never had to deal with THAT many synth/strings yet....luckily, cause honestly I'm not very keen on it haha

Not a huge fan of the music overall, but that artwork is fucking killer.
what the hell as those "screams" tho? did they "have" to be, or are they intented to sound like that?

Mix is really good, that kind of stuff is always a huge challange...altho I never had to deal with THAT many synth/strings yet....luckily, cause honestly I'm not very keen on it haha

Not a huge fan of the music overall, but that artwork is fucking killer.
what the hell as those "screams" tho? did they "have" to be, or are they intented to sound like that?

Cheers dude! Much appreciated :) yeah I get that, it's not music for everyone :p
The screams? Do you mean the growls, or the 'war shouts'?