Benedictum - Dominion

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
This is a huge disappointment. First of all something is up with the production. It's quite heavy but lacks clarity. the first song is great and all hopes are raised even with the bad sound. After that things gradually get worse. there are some solid and even enjoyable moments don't get me wrong but the album is a huge let down after two killer albums. The songs need more hooks and the production doesn't help. The problem is not Veronika Freeman herself at all. She sounds pretty great but the songs lack and once again I have to complain about the sound. It's not good. The Rush cover is really good at the end though. I am surprised that their first release on their new label at Frontiers is their least good by far. It's an ok album and has solid heavy metal moments but I was expecting so much more..

This is a huge disappointment. First of all something is up with the production. It's quite heavy but lacks clarity. the first song is great and all hopes are raised even with the bad sound. After that things gradually get worse. there are some solid and even enjoyable moments don't get me wrong but the album is a huge let down after two killer albums. The songs need more hooks and the production doesn't help. The problem is not Veronika Freeman herself at all. She sounds pretty great but the songs lack and once again I have to complain about the sound. It's not good. The Rush cover is really good at the end though. I am surprised that their first release on their new label at Frontiers is their least good by far. It's an ok album and has solid heavy metal moments but I was expecting so much more..

Really? My expectations were high as well, and to me the band more than delivered. This album is like the 2011 Blood of the Nations.

This band has potential, but never has really put out anything that I think is great. Veronica is a great front woman, but I've always thought the song writing has been weak.

~Brian~

"Seasons Of Tragedy" was and is, a BRILLIANT cd....Dominion is pretty good, but I gotta agree with Fire breath that the production is not the best. I guess they should've stayed with Jeff Pilson as producer. It's still got some great, heavy tunes on it, but it just doesn't grab me the same way Seasons did. A good effort, but I predict much bigger and better music from them in the future.

I thought Benedictum's first 2 albums were excellent. Perhaps the production on the first could have been a bit better, but the overall sound and songwriting I thought was very solid on both albums. I love Veronica's vocals on everything I've heard her sing and Pete Wells is simply one of the most underrated guitar players in metal IMO.

I've liked the few sound clips I've heard from Dominion and, despite all the negativity I'm hearing here, I am still very much looking forward to giving the full album a good listen with my own ears.

Also, from what I know the band is still working with Jeff Pilson. Maybe he's not their main producer anymore, but I know the band is good friends with him and he's listed as a guest on this new album, so he is probably still providing input.

Really? My expectations were high as well, and to me the band more than delivered. This album is like the 2011 Blood of the Nations.

Well if they had the sound of the Accept disk it would have helped no end. I am a bit of a production snob though so maybe this album is good enough for a ballsy, earthy, heavy metal sound but I like a cleaner and crunchier sound with less grit though I fully understand that some people don't like that over produced sound and prefer a 'live' sound. Of the three albums they have now this is easily the worst but not a bad album. If this was their debut it would be good but album number three on a brand new label should count for something IMO and it seems to count for zilch. I wonder what the people at Frontiers made of it when they got to hear it. Normally they are delivering pristine Dennis Ward produced melodic rock. Mind you the Mr. Big came out on Frontiers and we had a big debate about the sound on that here as well. Maybe the over produced clean sound is now old hat and gritty and ballsy is the way to go. Who knows. :)

Band is ok. I remember the first time I looked up their website a big picture of cleavage loaded on to the screen and that immediately turn me off of the band. Never been much into women in bands who had to go that direction to sell themselves in a band. But in her defense she is a great metal singer. But that was only a first impression, maybe I should look into them again.

Band is ok. I remember the first time I look up their website a big picture of cleavage loaded on to the screen and that immediately turn me off of the band. Never been much into women in bands who had to go that direction to sell themselves in a bad. But in her defence she is a great metal singer. But that was only a first impression, maybe I should look into them again.

Well, you gotta use what you got.....and if you got it, flaunt it. It's kinda like if you had a singer with amazing range, and they decide not to use it....kind of a waste. Besides, she backs up the cleavage with a fantastic voice....like you said. It still amazes me how prudish the metal crowd can be...they don't mind seeing guys shirtless or in leathers, but if a woman shows cleavage, it's a turn-off. Confusing.

Well, you gotta use what you got.....and if you got it, flaunt it. It's kinda like if you had a singer with amazing range, and they decide not to use it....kind of a waste. Besides, she backs up the cleavage with a fantastic voice....like you said. It still amazes me how prudish the metal crowd can be...they don't mind seeing guys shirtless or in leathers, but if a woman shows cleavage, it's a turn-off. Confusing.

It's just his style, he would complain if a million dollars fell in his lap, because it hurt when it hit him. Just don't pay him any attention, most people here don't :lol:

I checked this out (as I had not heard the band before) and didn't really care for it.

Is this their best album? Should I bother with any others?

Did you BUY the album or did you download that lame web rip? My copy has kick ass production.

Well, I did buy the cd...I listened to it the first couple of times with headphones, and discovered it actually sounded a lot better through speakers. The album had a muffled/muted quality when I listened though headphones....strange, since it usually sounds better that way.

It has nothing to do with being "prudish" nor do I have any problem with boobs. I'm just saying it was made obvious that it was the selling point. Again this was just that first impression.

I was also disappointed in the new album. I have heard the whole thing and was shocked.
I loved Seasons of Tragedy, it was my favorite CD of 2008. (And I normally am not a huge fan of female vocalists).

I don't know why they had to change their sound?? It really surprised me.
I mean, there are some cool moments on Dominion, but overall it is nowhere near as good as Seasons of Tragedy.