Best Albums for First Quarter-2012

Im pretty sure the new Overkill is gonna be on my list next week.

It will be.

Pretty sure these are the only things I have from 2012 so far, and I just got them last night, so I obviously don't have enough time invested in them to say anything substantial about them, but they've all given me strong first impressions.

Angel Witch - As Above, So Below
Aura Noir - Out to Die
Overkill - The Electric Age

Anybody that was approaching that Angel Witch album with skepticism...don't waste any time being skeptical. You're just wasting your time. Half of the album is pre-1984, but the new songs are great, vintage material as well, particularly "Geburah" and "Upon this Cord".

Pilgrim - Misery Wizard
Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction
Napalm Death - Utilitarian
Goatwhore - Blood for the Master
Cannibal Corpse - Torture

1.Alcest - Les voyages de l'âme
2.Woods of Ypres - Woods 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light
3.Anathema - Weather Systems
4.Aborted - Global Flatline

The first Zom demo has been the most exciting thing I have heard so far this year. It's been a while since I have heard something so truly inspired from these shores.

1.Alcest - Les voyages de l'âme
2.Woods of Ypres - Woods 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light
3.Anathema - Weather Systems
4.Aborted - Global Flatline

I thought the first song on Weather Systems was pretty fucking good, then I couldn't stand anything else. But that song is good enough to pick up the slack for the rest..imo. Alcest and Woods, Aborted - Hell yes.

1. Hour Of Penance - Sedition
2. Spawn Of Possession - Incurso
3. Mgla - With Hearts Toward None
4. Pallbearer - Sorrow And Extinction
5. Aborted - Global Flatline

There were several more that BARELY missed this list, including Gorod and Goatwhore's newest entries.

EDIT: I think after hearing it a couple times (finally) that I'll have to amend that list to work Dodecahedron in somewhere.

hmm, my top 5 so far would include Pallbearer, 7 H.Target, Profanatica, Spawn Of Possession, and Disastrous.

new HoP and Aborted were pretty good on first listen but wore off quickly to me.

Pallbearer, Napalm Death, Ignivomous, Charon, and Lunar Aurora. Dodecahedron, Mgla and Aborted were pretty good too, though I was a bit disappointed with the new Gorod.

Didnt know Profanatica came out with anything this year, gotta get that.

Barren Earth - The Devil's Resolve, Black Breath - Sentenced to Life, Orange Goblin - A Eulogy for the Damned and The 11th Hour - Lacrima Mortis are a few albums that haven't been mentioned here that deserve notice, particularly the Barren Earth one.