Best Albums of 2004 (so far)

discouraged1 said:
you're right. new bride is loads of shite.:puke:
why don't they go away?

a natural disaster is a great album. not a masterpiece maybe, but trillion zillion times better than the last 3 bride albums. or maybe better than anything bride has done.
A Natural Disaster is great...but there is no way that it is better than Turn Loose The Swans, and The Dreadful Hours was pretty good as well, but overall since 1996 I think Anathema has blown MDB away, while Before 96' Bride was MUCH better than Anathema! MDB is still good but not great anymore, they no longer have that obscure sound using odd notes/harmonies in their riffs (it seemed to dissapear around The Angel and The Dark River)...ever since Alternative 4 Anathema has been blowing most bands away, but maybe not as good as Katatonia!

My Dying Bride, Morgion, Winds, Exodus, Pain Of Salvation, Ayreon, Into Eternity, Insomnium, etc...all killer releases this year, as everyone has mentioned, but left out of this list are cd's from Deathspell Omega, Watain, Amorphis, Mastodon, just to name a few. And for me personally, I'm looking forward to new releases from Novembers Doom, Usurper, and Mourning Beloveth early next year.

Let me add Necrophagist's Epitaph to my fucking list. These guys absolutely smoke the competition. Honestly. What a band, not one, but two sick guitarists!

Envy - all the footprints you've ever left and the fear expecting ahead
Neurosis - The Eye Of Every Storm
Mastodon - Leviathan
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
As We Fight - Black Nails And Bloody Wrists
BlockOut - Ako Imash S Kim I Gde
Jason Molina - Pyramid Electric Co.
Mar De Grises - The Tatterdemalion Express

and I recon I'll put new Cult Of Luna and new Isis albums as well... once I hear them...

discouraged1 said:
isis - panopticon is great. album of the year.
#2 cult of luna - salvation.
stunning stuff.
I'll third that notion. Panopticon will be album of the year. As for now, it will be followed by Neurosis - The Eye of Every Storm, and Old Man Gloom - Christmas. OMG is a side project of Aaron Turner(Isis) along with the bassist from Cave-In and the gutarist of Converge. Great stuff.

I heard Mastodon on satellite TV metal radio and it sounded like fucking nu metal. I was going to buy Leviathan because of all the praise it's been getting, but after hearing a song I see why it's so popular - the masses always praise lame music (with the rare exception of Lacuna Coil). Like I can't even believe bands like Devildriver, Superspiritual Ritual or Slipknot are even successfull. It's just because people as a whole are ultimately stupid and would rather follow trends and "fit-in" instead of being original and strong-minded. I can't believe how many people out there are going to buy the new Shadows Fall next week instead of the new Vader. Fuckin' stupid people. I'm going to go buy "The Beast" the day it comes out and then buy a case of "The Beast" to drink and kick it fuckin' old school.

-Vince

EvilVince said:
I heard Mastodon on satellite TV metal radio and it sounded like fucking nu metal.

:err:
Well, let's see. They don't have a rapper, they don't have a DJ, they don't have whiny lyrics, they don't have a gimmick to help them sell records, they don't have a hip-hop vibe to their music and they don't play their instruments in a painfully simple manner.

Is it just me, or is everybody starting to forget what nu-metal is?

The Scourge said:
I'll third that notion. Panopticon will be album of the year. As for now, it will be followed by Neurosis - The Eye of Every Storm, and Old Man Gloom - Christmas. OMG is a side project of Aaron Turner(Isis) along with the bassist from Cave-In and the gutarist of Converge. Great stuff.

oh yeah, forgot to mention that two. Neurosis can never do bad album, and Old Man Gloom is great too... especially the opener Gift.

btw, have some1 here listened to Mountain Men Anonymous? I've been listening to their Krkonose for 2 days and can't let it go, it's that good!

1. DISARMONIA MUNDI Fragments of D-generation
2. FINNTROLL Nattfödd
3. ORPHANED LAND Mabool
4. FOREFATHER Ours is the kingdom
5. ...
6. BORKNAGAR Epic
7. VEHEMENCE Helping the world to see
8. IN FLAMES Soundtrack to your escape
9. INCAPACITY 9th order extinct
10. LUNARIS Cyclic

I hope to get the new ILLDISPOSED somewhere high on my list, hehe...

Vehemence- helping the world to see

Woods of Ypres- pursuit of the sun and aullure of the earth (If you like Agalloch's The Mantle you should love this cd!!:headbang: )

Pain of Salvation- Be

Lilitu- The Delores Lesion

Finntroll- Nattfold

Orphanded Land- Mabool

Leng Tch'e- manmadepredator

Death Angel- the art of dying

Exodus- tempo of the damned

EvilVince said:
I heard Mastodon on satellite TV metal radio and it sounded like fucking nu metal. I was going to buy Leviathan because of all the praise it's been getting, but after hearing a song I see why it's so popular - the masses always praise lame music (with the rare exception of Lacuna Coil). Like I can't even believe bands like Devildriver, Superspiritual Ritual or Slipknot are even successfull. It's just because people as a whole are ultimately stupid and would rather follow trends and "fit-in" instead of being original and strong-minded. I can't believe how many people out there are going to buy the new Shadows Fall next week instead of the new Vader. Fuckin' stupid people. I'm going to go buy "The Beast" the day it comes out and then buy a case of "The Beast" to drink and kick it fuckin' old school.

-Vince

Mastodon is by far NOT nu metal. I HATE nu metal and metalcore with a passion but mastodon is far more talented of a band. A couple of the guys were in Today is the day who were also much crazier than any nu rock band.

I will agree on your point for most part. Too many americans won't go the extra mile to find the awesome metal(of all genres be it black, thrash, grind, gore, death, prog,power,etc) but I see a problem occurring. People turn on a band if they happen to gain more attention even if they didn't alter their sound to do so. The term Nu rock or metalcore does get over used way to often.

As for bands that do deserve more attention, one needs to get Woods of Ypres new cd at the end records.