Best BBQ in Atlanta?

The_Q

No More Posts
Mar 29, 2003
www.metal-fan.org
OK, to say that I am a BBQ freak is an understatement. If you took a knife and cut me, I would ooze barbecue sauce. Probably a base of Open Pit with a touch of vinegar and a lil mo tomato base. Anyway back to my point, when I come down to Atlanta this September I have a list of places to try. Anyone from Atlanta OR anyone who has been to a FANTASTIC bbq place please tell me what you know. Thanks!!!

-Sean

1. Fat Matts Rib Shack
2. Daddy D'z Rib Joint

Abdullah The Butchers House Of Ribs !!

Who wouldn't want Ribs from a place that bears this guys name?

abdullah3.jpg

Fat Matt's is excellent.
Dreamland BBQ (in Roswell), is also one of my favorite spots.
Closer to the venue is a place called Bobby & June's on 14th street. They have some excellent BBQ items on the menu, as well.
I have heard that Swallow in the Hollow (Roswell) and the Pig-n-Chik (Sandy Springs) are also good places, but I haven't been.
Williamson Bros. (Marietta) is good, but not nearly as good as Fat Matt's or Dreamland, in my opinion.

--Mike

I've been to Fat Matt's, Dreamland, Spiced Right, and the other hole in the wall place off Peachtree Industrial and Corky's in Gwinnett. The best independant BBQ place in Atlanta ever was a small shack in a Winn Dixie shopping center off Winter's Chapel road. This point is moot because they have long been gone but I've yet to go to a palce that was as good as that.

I have not been to the Butcher's so I can't comment on that, but these days I would say the new place called Shane's Rib Shack is pretty decent, it's a chain but the food is good so who cares. 2nd on my list would be Smokey Bones and 3rd would be Dreamland. Fatt Matt's is okay but over rated just like Dreamland.

But as far as finiding something that resembles the BBQ cook offs on the Food network, I've never seen that.

And for ribs, I don't think you can do any better then Chili's baby back ribs aside from cooking them yourself.

but this is of course just my opinion.

Dreamland, hands down. I base my opinion of barbecue places on their ribs, though, so if ribs ain't your thang, my opinion is worth a little less. Fat Matt's, Williamson Bros., and Swallow in the Hollow are all pretty darn decent as well. I loved Abdullah's when we went, but more for their veggies, as silly as that sounds. They were GOOOOOD, and well worth the hike.

For the record, Smokey Bones just don't hold a candle, IMO. And stay away from Famous Dave's... horrid.

For barbecue at more of a "bar," there was this place in Kennesaw... with a B, I think... they were surprisingly decent. Damn, anyone have any idea where I mean? Huge place, every game in the world on somewhere, and lots of good beers (plus Strongbow!) on draft.

And, yes, I owe you (and Wishmaster) a call. :)

For the record, Smokey Bones just don't hold a candle, IMO. And stay away from Famous Dave's... horrid.

I have yet to go to one of these chains and not be disappointed.

For barbecue at more of a "bar," there was this place in Kennesaw... with a B, I think... they were surprisingly decent. Damn, anyone have any idea where I mean? Huge place, every game in the world on somewhere, and lots of good beers (plus Strongbow!) on draft.

Are you thinking of Bailey's?

--Mike

Why Hasn't anyone mentioned these BBQ joints:

Williamson Bros in Marietta
KC Pit BBQ in Sandy Springs
Dusty's
And the very best in Atlanta in my opinion HAROLD's.

One Star Ranch in Buckhead has very good Texas-style bbq (including beef ribs). I go for their sliced brisket.:kickass:

Fox Brothers BBQ between Little 5 Points and Decatur is ok. It's kind of hit-or-miss, but on good days the chopped pork is good, the brisket and chicken seem to be dry most of the time.

Maddy's Ribs & Blues Joint in Decatur has pretty juicy pulled pork, plus there's live blues music most nights!

Williamson Bros in Marietta can be hit-or-miss sometimes, too, If you like chopped brisket, watch out for huge chewy chunks of fat...that's all I'm sayin'. :ill:

Are you thinking of Bailey's?

That's it!! Thank you! Ever have their barbecue? I loved that place.

Where're KC Pit BBQ, Dusty's, and Harold's? I don't think I've ever heard of the latter two at all, and maybe not the first either. :p

Mike, you and Tracie should come over and we can do Swallow in the Hollow sometime... you know it's like 2 minutes from my place. It's been a few years since the one time I went.

That's it!! Thank you! Ever have their barbecue? I loved that place.

I've only been there (the one in Duluth) a few times and never managed to try their barbecue.

Where're KC Pit BBQ, Dusty's, and Harold's? I don't think I've ever heard of the latter two at all, and maybe not the first either. :p

KC Pit BBQ is just off of Roswell Rd, between Hammond & Mt. Vernon, I think. I haven't been to this one, yet.

Dusty's is at the corner of Briarcliff & Clifton, near Emory. It's been many years since I went to this place, and what I remember of it was that it's just 'ok'.

I've never been to Harold's, and have no idea where it's at. :)

Mike, you and Tracie should come over and we can do Swallow in the Hollow sometime... you know it's like 2 minutes from my place. It's been a few years since the one time I went.

We've been meaning to go there for quite a while. We'll have to make plans. :)

--Mike

Dusty's is right around the corner from us on Briarcliff next to Sage Hill Shopping Center, corner of Briarcliff and Clifton. James love it.... I'm not too crazy about it myself. Don't like that vinegar style sauce.

Can't stand Fatt Mack's.. ick... ribs are too fatty.

I like good old Sonny's and Chili's babyback ribs myself, but I am no expert on BBQ.

I'm more of a pulled-pork connoisseur myself, not really a rib fan, so I'm busily taking notes. :) Swallow in the Hollow and Dreamland sound interesting; I hadn't heard of those two before.

I'd considered trying Shane's Rib Shack at some point...now I have one positive review (here) and one negative review (from a sometimes-overfinicky friend), so I'm leaning toward trying 'em soon.

Any of you Southeastsiders remember a place called Jimmy's Smokehouse BBQ? They used to have a roadside shack somewhere near Conyers and were awesome....I never actually saw the shack, but at one time they were catering our night-shift at work and it was really splendid BBQ and southern fixins'. They may still be in business, but they had to drop our catering when they got a NASCAR contract. (Good for them, sucked to be us. :))

I remember going to a decent BBQ place called JR's up in Peachtree Corners that was good, but I've only been there once.

Corkey's on Pleasant Hill (I'm assuming that was a chain?) was decent, but IMHO overpriced. Apparently, my opinion was shared by others, since they're gone, gone, gone.

I'm more of a pulled-pork connoisseur myself, not really a rib fan, so I'm busily taking notes. :) Swallow in the Hollow and Dreamland sound interesting; I hadn't heard of those two before.

Oh, man, are you missing out! Both are off Alpharetta Hwy. Dreamland is about 5 minutes or so from my place. If we could all ever get our shit together, we could organize a little PP barbecue trip to one or the other. :D Pulled pork is my second choice. (I never judge a place by sliced pork or bbq chicken.)

Dusty's is at the corner of Briarcliff & Clifton, near Emory. It's been many years since I went to this place, and what I remember of it was that it's just 'ok'.

Oh yeah! I think I know where you mean. Near where Harris Teeter used to be? I dated a guy who lived over there... We never went there; he said it wasn't particularly good. This was... oh, about 7-8 years ago. Pre-ProgPower. lol

Now I'm hungry. Crackers & a cupcake for dinner just don't cut it when you start talkign about good barbecue. :lol:

I remember going to a decent BBQ place called JR's up in Peachtree Corners that was good, but I've only been there once.

Yup. They're just off of PIB. The barbecue there isn't bad. Certainly not the worst place you could go. :) It reminds me of the barbecue you'd expect from the Old Hickory House (if anyone's been there). As with the Old Hickory House, I think JR's does better with their breakfast than their barbecue.

--Mike

I was talking with Pellaz(Paul Cashman) the other day, and we casually mentioned getting together to go out for BBQ. Okay who is up for this??? I think a great day would be Wednesday, that is if you are in town that day, as a lot of people will be. So let's see if we can get a group together, pick a place and invade it, and have some good BBQ and socialize a bit before the festivities kick off that night.