Best Hair Metal/Hard Rock One Hit Wonder

johnfrank1970

Jan 10, 2002
Madison, WI
welcome.to
And by "One Hit Wonder", I mean the one song *you* like from the band, not the one song deemed a hit by Billboard or your high school prom committee.

And the winner is...

Mr. Big - "Addicted to That Rush"

Such a great song. Too bad they never wrote another one I liked. Have not listened to the new comeback disc though.

Honorable Mention:

Heaven's Edge - "Skin to Skin"
Kix - "Cold Blood"
Quiet Riot - "The Wild and the Young"

How the heck can you call KIX or QUIET RIOT a one-hit wonder??

I would think bands like LOVE/HATE, VAIN, etc, would better fall into this category.

Seems you should be calling the thread, "One song you like from a band where you don't care for the rest"

How the heck can you call KIX or QUIET RIOT a one-hit wonder??

I would think bands like LOVE/HATE, VAIN, etc, would better fall into this category.

Seems you should be calling the thread, "One song you like from a band where you don't care for the rest"

I explained my terminology in the original post. Your thread title, while correct if you added "hair metal/hard rock" before "band", is unwieldy. My thread title is catchier. :D

Sure, Kix and Quiet Riot had several hit singles. I do not really care for them though. Well, I liked QR's Slade covers back in the day, but now I view them more as fun 80's nostalgia tunes than actual good songs I enjoy.

No, I understood your explanation.
But I read it as a song by a one-hit wonder that YOU liked, but not necessarily their big hit, I guess......

Oh well, I will play along, and say:
VAIN - BEAT THE BULLET
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQrpgsiSIU4&playnext=1&list=PLA2E9ADBF2854793D[/ame]

KROKUS baby!!!! SCreaming in the night

and this totally lost classic

NEW ENGLAND - "Don't want to lose ya"

Last edited by a moderator:
Three of my favorites that never made it big and should have.

Lillian Axe - These guys should have been huge. Love & War album is a classic and not a bad song to be found. Ghost of Winter being my all time favorite.

Shotgun Messiah - Another band that should have been huge. Cody was a monster on the guitar.

Melidian - Damn good and should have gotten more attention

AGREED! This band had everything needed and it is a shame they did not become a lot bigger than they did.

Also agree. These guys were amazing...I thought their songwriting was at a level above the field at the time. All's Fair and Ghost of Winter are two of my top songs from that era. That's not right, they are just in my top list of songs period. I would say that Lillian Axe and Fifth Angel are probably the two bands that I still play the most often from that time period.

I still play Lillian Axe on a regular basis. I listen to all of their cd's but Love & War is my favorite. Love that Album. I know they are still putting our quality music but without their original singer, it is just not the same for me.

Brand

I still play Lillian Axe on a regular basis. I listen to all of their cd's but Love & War is my favorite. Love that Album. I know they are still putting our quality music but without their original singer, it is just not the same for me.

Yeah, it may not be Ron Taylor singing anymore, but Derek is the next best thing. The songwriting is still top notch..... I'll take new Lillian Axe over a lot of other stuff out there!

"Letters in the Rain" and "Fool's Paradise" are two of my favorites..... All great stuff though!

What??? Grim Reaper had a TON of great material and in no way can fall under a category of One Hit Wonder.

To me, this would be reserved for a more commercial band that had that one or two songs which were real attention grabberz.

This is a hard question to answer as normally If I like a song from a band, then I'll end up liking more than that song from them. However to play along for fun although my picks aren't like set in stone or anything I will pick these.

Van Halen - Jump
Kiss - Crazy Crazy Nights.
Europe - The Final Countdown

I am picking these more from a point of view of my younger self. I used to love these songs back in the 80s when I didn't even really like hard rock. At that time I would never have really liked anything else by these bands that's for sure. I can even say now that Jump remains my fave Van Halen song by a long margin although I like a couple of others too but nowhere near as much as Jump and my knowledge of VH is zilch and I have zero interest in increasing it. With Europe I like Rock The Night and TFC of course but I don't really even know or recall any more right now. With Kiss CCN is definitely still my fave though I like a couple more as well especially off the latest album but still not close to CCN and in general I know very very little about Kiss albums and songs and as a band they've never really interested me.

Babylon AD - Bang Go The Bells
Cats In Boots - Her Monkey
Electric Boys - All Hips N' Lips
XYZ - Inside Out