Best metal/hard rock live dvds

That reminds me..

Loudness - Munetaka Higuchi Forever Our Hero
Galneryus - Live For All, Live For One

Cool, that reminds me I need to check out that Forever Our Hero vid, shame about Munetaka, great drummer.

Also a few more to add to the mix, especially if we're getting relaxed about the "metal" qualification:

Talisman - Live In Stockholm
Eric Johnson - Austin City Limits Live
Gary Moore - Live In Stockholm and Emerald Isles

Of course, it all depends on what you like or need but...

In no particular order -

Kamelot - One Cold Winter's Night
Anathema - Universal
Nightwish - End of An Era, Showtime Storytime
Katatonia - Sanctitude
Sabaton - Swedish Empire Live
Within Temptation - Black Symphony, Let Us Burn
AC/DC - Live at Donington
DragonForce - In the Line of Fire...Larger Than Live

Although it is only out to KS backers now, in November Pagan's Mind will drop their Full Circle DVD/Blu-Ray that features their live ProgpowerUSA performance from 2014. The show itself was superb and the trailer strongly suggests that this release will be a home run.

If you like Pagan's Mind and live DVDs and you didn't back Full Circle...you need to get your hands on that. I finally watched mine last night. Brilliant through and through.

Anathema - Universal
Amorphis - Forging The Land Of Thousand Lakes
Evergrey - A Night To Remember
Depeche Mode - Devotional (edit: you did say hard rock/metal, but close enough, right? this show *owns*.)

The Gathering's "A Sound Relief"-DVD is overall softer than "A Noise Severe" which has already been mentioned, but I like even better. Here's a song from that DVD:

My favourite part starts at about 3:05 and I really like the use of the theremin at 3:20 onwards.

Highly recommendable is the Live-DVD which comes along with the digipak-version of Avatarium's new album "The Girl with the Raven Mask" and features their live concert at the Hammer of Doom festival 2014. If you don't know what they sound like, check out their concert at this year's Rock Hard festival here:

http://www1.wdr.de/fernsehen/kultur...vatarium100_size-L.html?autostart=true#banner

Finally, I'd also like to recommend the DVD "Mother's Finest Live At Rockpalast", mostly because of their concert from 1978 in Essen (the DVD contains also a concert from 2003). This is my favourite song from their aforementioned concert:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gathering's "A Sound Relief"-DVD is overall softer than "A Noise Severe" which has already been mentioned, but I like even better.

Yeah, that's my second fav live dvd after noise severe. Such an amazing band and both showcase Anneke at the height of her power. No one commands a stage like her.

This may be heresy on this site, but I dug Linkin Park in their prime (early to mid 2000s), and their CD/DVD set Live in Texas was a pretty good representation of them at the time.

On the more aggressive side, Slayer's Live Intrusion was also very good.

Believe it or not, two places I would start would be "hair-metal" bands. Both Mark Slaughter (Slaughter/VVI) and Tom Keifer (Cinderella) were absolutely two of the most incredible live singers I have ever seen in my life. Don Barnes (38 Special) also was an incredible live singer.

My personal favorites:

Evergrey - A Night to Remember
Blind Guardian - Imaginations Through the Looking Glass
Anathema - Universal
Opeth - Live at the Royal Albert Hall
Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio
Riverside - Reality Dream
Pain of Salvation - Ending Themes

Great suggestions, everybody! I stumbled into this forum quite by accident about ten minutes ago, looking for info just like this thread. :D

I'd have to say Vanden Plas Seraphic Live Works is a pretty darn good live DVD.

I'll also add Jimi Hendrix Rainbow Bridge Concert for an old old school DVD.