Bon Jovi- The Circle sales strategy

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Like it or not, Bon Jovi have come up with a rather good strategy to pump up their album sales without doing the Wal-mart type deal.

They had an internet pre-sale for their tour tickets starting today. However, the kicker was that you had to purchase an electronic download of the new album for $10 bucks. Otherwise, you have to wait 10 days to buy tickets without the album.

I'm still waiting on my Ticketmaster album download instructions to show, but otherwise it went rather smoothly.

I can't imagine these guys needing to boost record sales, but granted, that's a unique strategy.

Glenn, how many times have you seen Bon Jovi in concert? I've not seen them live, but would like to at some point.

~Brian~

Metallica did something slightly similar late last year.

There was a premium package, which was just like $10 more or something, where you would get a physical CD copy of Death Magnetic as well as a download of the show you attended, which is really cool. When you downloaded the show, they also provided artwork for the cover and CD inlays, if you chose to rip it to CD.

Metallica did something slightly similar late last year.

There was a premium package, which was just like $10 more or something, where you would get a physical CD copy of Death Magnetic as well as a download of the show you attended, which is really cool. When you downloaded the show, they also provided artwork for the cover and CD inlays, if you chose to rip it to CD.

So did the Smashing Pumpkins. Get CD from iTunes, get presale access.

This is a cool strategy, but I only see it working for big, big bands who already have solid record sales.

I hope not! Supposedly, the new album is a rocker. I'm waiting to hear what Glenn has to say about it, since he's a long time fan. I love Bon Jovi, but they have been hit or miss for me since their comback in the 90's.

I'm cautious about this also. The last rock album they did that I liked (yes, I actually liked the country one) was "These Days". Everything since has been too pop-oriented.

On a side note, Richie Sambora's "Stranger in this Town" is one of my very favorite CDs of all time. I'd rather listen to him sing than JBJ any day!

So did the Smashing Pumpkins. Get CD from iTunes, get presale access.

The difference in this situation is that the new Bon Jovi album is not available for another week (including the download). Thus, those numbers will count towards their first week sales that the recording industry eats up.

Scalpers will actually be putting money in Bon Jovi's bank account and making them look good when the charts are released. That's brilliant.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I just purchased tickets for my wife and her sister. I have seen them a bunch of times and they put on a great show. But $306.02 for 2 tickets!!! That's just too much for me to keep going. I just let the girls go and have a fun night. But I do recommend going to see them if you have not already.

I'm still waiting on my Ticketmaster album download instructions to show, but otherwise it went rather smoothly.

In my confirmation email it says, 'On or about Monday, November 9, 2009, you will receive an email from Ticketmaster that will provide instructions, along with a unique code, on how you can redeem Bon Jovi's new album, The Circle, in digital format beginning on Tuesday, November 10, 2009.'

I'm not sure if you knew this by your comment about waiting for the email.

On a side note, Richie Sambora's "Stranger in this Town" is one of my very favorite CDs of all time. I'd rather listen to him sing than JBJ any day!

I wouldn't go that far. JBJ is one of my favorite voices of rock and it's hard to beat him. No, he doesn't have the largest range, but he's exceptional nevertheless.

Below is one of my all time favorite Bon Jovi songs, which didn't make the cut back in the day for whatever reason.

~Brian~

Last edited by a moderator:
Below is one of my all time favorite Bon Jovi songs, which didn't make the cut back in the day for whatever reason.

That box set is fantastic. So often you see bands pump out a set like this that is 90% previously released material, but this blows those away. Four discs FULL of unreleased material??? Awesome!

And I still vote for Richie.... More soul to his voice. :)

Scalpers will actually be putting money in Bon Jovi's bank account and making them look good when the charts are released. That's brilliant.

Serious question.
Does Bon Jovi still sell out shows?

I am not trying to slam BJ or anything like that.
I simply have no clue how their shows sell.

Just had to ask, since you said that scalpers will be jumping in on this.
I have no clue what the demand is for BJ these days.

I've seen them enough. So I'll wait so I can have the physical cd. They do put on a great show. 1st time was for the Slippery When Wet tour when Cinderella opened for their Night Songs cd. That ticket was only about 12 bucks. I hate to see what the Jovi tour is fetching these days.

Serious question.

I'm not a fan at all of Bon Jovi, no offense to those who are on this thread, but I do have friends that like them and from what they've told me they are usually packed. Whether or not, they completely sell out is another question.

I agree this is a good strategy, while not completely innovative it works. I like the idea that they try to sell their album packaged with ticket before the major onsale. Like people have said though, I'm thinking this may only work with high selling artists.

Serious question.

Last tour, they sold out 2 nights at the arena in St Paul. I don't know how the rest of the tour went. Tickets for those shows were gone months ahead of the show.

Serious question.

I'm not sure but when I went on Ticketmaster to check the Charlotte, NC show this morning, the closest tickets in the general available section were in the nosebleed area. Nothing on the floor or lower level unless you wanted to buy a VIP package.