Box Sets

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Lately I have been thinking about the box sets in my collection. I was curious to know which ones you all have, and, more specifically, which ones are special and why.

I will get this rolling:

IRON MAIDEN - EDDIE'S ARCHIVE
This bad boy has SO much unreleased material. All the BBC sessions as well as an early full Bruce show (Beast Over Hammersmith). All this in addition to the double CD set of B-sides. Also, one of the best box set packaging ever.

MOTORHEAD - STONE DEAF FOREVER
Sure, about 50%, if not more, of this boxset is previously released studio material. Still though, there is enough rare radio session versions and live tracks to make this unique. Also, for me personally who has non-remastered versions of some albums, it is nice to have. Finally, two standout tracks are the Hawkwind version of "Motorhead" and conversely, Motorhead's version of "Silver Machine"

MISFITS
This is the coffin shaped box set. This bad boy has everything and then some. The only thing missing from the Danzig era of the band is WALK AMONG US. This is one of those box sets that when I hear it, I can just get lost in, with so many different versions of the same song, yet each version is still unique enough to be interesting. Not sure how many Misfits fans are here, but still wanted to bring it up.

ICED EARTH - DARK GENESIS
Ok, in 2010 this may not seem like anything special, but it sure was when it came out in 2001, when I got it. I certainly never had access to the ENTER THE REALM demo. In addition, it was cool to hear all the killer covers the band had recorded.

JUDAS PRIEST - METALOGY
I wish this one had more rarities. I look at this as a DELUXE Best-Of, if you will. This one is good for loading to the IPOD, as it more than satisfies my Priest cravings when I need them. Only downfall is that this being released by Columbia, the only Sad Wings material you will hear are from Unleashed in the East, though its not like those versions are shabby!

HELLOWEEN - TREASURE CHEST (3CD VERSION)
Some will argue if this is truly a box set I suppose. I like this set a lot, due to the ability to hear all eras of the band (Hansen, Kiske, Deris) mixed up randomly over 2 CDs. The third disc contains b-sides to many singles that I never had.

Other Box Sets I have, which are cool, but aren't anything too special are:
BLACK SABBATH - THE RULES OF HELL
Certainly cool to get all the DIO albums in one box, but would have been nice to at least have one additional CD or DVD of something previously unreleased. Only reason I bought this was that I never had LIVE EVIL on CD, and it was cheap on new release day at Best Buy when it first came out.

KISS
Covers the band's career very nicely, but nothing too unique, aside from some Wicked Lester tracks. Basically serves as "more KISS than I ever feel I personally need" The book that comes with this is cool, as most KISS books always are.

I have a few but these are my favorites:

Gamma Ray- "The Ultimate Collection": This has the first 6 Gamma Ray full length Cd's remastered with bonus tracks and different artwor. Out of print now but the bonus tracks are the ones that were on the original Japanese versions. Nice huge box too!

Helloween- Treasure Chest 3CD

I have several box sets but my favorite has got to be Iron Maiden - The First 10 Years. Basically its every single they put out up to Seventh Son. That's one you can't even get anymore.

I have no box sets, but thanks for this thread. It's giving me a lot of ideas on what to ask for Christmas, this year! (besides my usual list of comic books and action figures..)

I do however own every single album put out by X Japan, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Avantasia, and Rhapsody + Rhapsody of Fire. Not box sets, per say.. but their CD boxes are f'ing epic when lined up all pretty.

Oh I also have The Doom Metal Sucks : Candlemass, Cathedral, and Trouble Deluxe Box Set Volume 1 7CD's :loco::loco:

I am seriously heading to Skokie in about 10 minutes to give you an early X-Mas gift.... A NICE BIG COCK PUNCH!!!!

Seriously though, I can understand a power metal fan not getting Cathedral or Trouble, but Candlemass???????

They are essentially the most "power metal" of all doom metal bands.

If you haven't, I strongly suggest checking them out., esp the Messiah era.

I have several box sets but my favorite has got to be Iron Maiden - The First 10 Years. Basically its every single they put out up to Seventh Son. That's one you can't even get anymore.

Nice, plus, if I recall correctly, this might be the only legitimate way to get MAIDEN JAPAN on CD, right?

If you ever want to part with that bad boy, let me know!

Nice, plus, if I recall correctly, this might be the only legitimate way to get MAIDEN JAPAN on CD, right?

If you ever want to part with that bad boy, let me know!

I believe your right, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be buried with that one when I die.:saint:

Oh I also have The Doom Metal Sucks : Candlemass, Cathedral, and Trouble Deluxe Box Set Volume 1 7CD's :loco::loco:

I have that too. It is such a dull box set.

I have the Defiance Box set. Basically it is just thier 3 CD's and a bunch of demo and live tracks.

also the Hallow's Eve box set with 3 CD's and a DVD and lots and lots of bonus tracks / live / demo / rehearsal stuff.

These are some of the one's I have.

Iron Maiden -Eddie's Archive
Judas Priest - Metalogy
Kiss box set
Slayer - Soundtrack to the Apocalypse
Megadeth - Warchest
Bon Jovi - 100000000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong
Steve Vai - The Secret Jewel Box Set

The Bon Jovi one is awesome cause it has so much unreleased material. The Maiden one is awesome too just cause it's Maiden!

The Vai boxset has been going on for years. He was supposed to release 10 discs of stuff over a period of time, but he has only released like 5 discs since 2001. Hurry the fuck up already!

It is, although it's missing "Wrathchild," which is on the tape version that I had back in the day. No big loss, really. It also has some pretty damn terrific Live After Death outtakes and live stuff from the Seventh Son era that's unavailable outside of the 1995 reissues.

also the Hallow's Eve box set with 3 CD's and a DVD and lots and lots of bonus tracks / live / demo / rehearsal stuff.

Forgot about the Metal Blade ones!!!!!!

I have the OMEN box set, which is 2CDs and a live (albeit VERY rough looking) DVD.

I also have the 3CD My Dying Bride boxset, Anti-Deluvian Chronicles.

Lately I have been thinking about the box sets in my collection. I was curious to know which ones you all have, and, more specifically, which ones are special and why.

I will get this rolling:

IRON MAIDEN - EDDIE'S ARCHIVE
This bad boy has SO much unreleased material. All the BBC sessions as well as an early full Bruce show (Beast Over Hammersmith). All this in addition to the double CD set of B-sides. Also, one of the best box set packaging ever.

JUDAS PRIEST - METALOGY
I wish this one had more rarities. I look at this as a DELUXE Best-Of, if you will. This one is good for loading to the IPOD, as it more than satisfies my Priest cravings when I need them. Only downfall is that this being released by Columbia, the only Sad Wings material you will hear are from Unleashed in the East, though its not like those versions are shabby!

HELLOWEEN - TREASURE CHEST (3CD VERSION)
Some will argue if this is truly a box set I suppose. I like this set a lot, due to the ability to hear all eras of the band (Hansen, Kiske, Deris) mixed up randomly over 2 CDs. The third disc contains b-sides to many singles that I never had.

I have these, plus -

Ac/DC - Bonfire - Classic old AC/DC outtakes, and stuff I only had on vinyl.

Aerosmith - Pandora's Box - Lost most of my Aerosmith cds, this set has just about eveything I need to hear from them.

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime w/VHS - A classic that I paid like $8 for

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - Nice collection of SRV tunes + 2 DVDs

Rory Gallagher - G-Men - 3cds of decent quality RG bootlegs

and my personal favorite, Frank Zappa's "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore" Vol 1-6 in a wooden "road case" 12 cds covering almost every era of FZ stuff, all live, all excellent quality, and all AMAZING! FZ always had the tightest road bands on the planet, and this collection showcases the huge amount of talent that FZ and his bands posessed... The roadcase was available with vol 4-5, iirc, I bought these as they came out, and was able to secure a box from Barfko-Swill (FZ's merch store)

Edit: Also add the Vai Secret Jewel box, and I agree, get that damn thing done already! it's been YEARS!!!!

I have most of those mentioned but regardless:

Iron Maiden - Eddie's Archive... To reiterate, this I would have to say is the best box set ever made. Fantastic stuff and while I paid extra for this on ebay it definitely was worth it.

Gamma Ray - The Ultimate Collection... Much like the Maiden one, this is a set I was as giddy as could be when I actually won the auction of it on ebay. I knew of Gamma Ray and wanted their stuff, but being the collector I was I knew I had to have this set. In turn, I was blown away by (most) of the material.

Iced Earth - Dark Genesis... The third box set I was happy to win on ebay. Awesome set.

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime w/dvd... Awesome set. Also, one of the best deals I ever got as this was the last thing I got at Tower records and got it for maybe 7 bucks.

Black Sabbath - Complete Original 1970 - 1978... Sabbath being my second favorite band of all time, I had to have this, regardless of the fact that it really is just the old albums remastered with one additional track. I could listen to this stuff for days.

Black Sabbath - Rules of Hell... Unlike the early Sabbath stuff, I did not have this material before this release. Excellent material.

Judas Priest - Metalogy... My introduction to Priest. As I've mentioned here once before, I had never really heard of Priest until I saw them on Ozzfest years ago and was so blown away, I had to get this. Like Jason said, there aren't many rarities here but it is an excellent collection. However, "Heart of the Lion" is well worth it alone in terms of bonus material, though Halford's studio version of it with his solo band is of much higher quality on the live insurrection cd.

Slayer - Soundtrack to the Apocalypse... No clue why this set gets so much hate. It's got a lot of retrospective, but it also has a lot of extra live stuff. I'm guessing it's because it can be pricey if you got the full version like I got with the big ammo box (which I still find to be badass). Then again, I did get this for dirt cheap used when I worked for FYE.

Megadeth - Warchest... Basically a less impressive looking Soundtrack to the Apocalypse but with better material in my opinion.

Artillery - Through the Years... An excellent collection of Artillery's first four albums with some decent bonus material.

Motorhead - Stone Deaf Forever... It's Motorhead. 'nuff said.

Dimmu Borgier - Death Cult Armageddon limited edition spiral bound steel page book with cd... Okay, this isn't really a set as much as it is an awesome collector's item. Despite what people say, I still love this album and the presentation is really cool, but is unbelievably heavy. No literally, it weighs a fucking ton for how big it is (sizewise) -- hell, it probably ways more than all my box sets. It's a very well done package and the cover of Bathory's "Satan My Master" is cool too.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - The Christmas Trilogy... A good box set of all TSO's Christmas cds plus dvd.

Alice in Chains - Music Bank... Good collection of material throughout their career. A good amount of rarities too.

Non-metal DVDs

ZZ Top - Chrome, Smoke and BBQ... One of the coolest looking box sets out there as it is designed as a Texas ranch house. It is a good compilation with some rare material (but very few), plus at the time of its release, you couldn't find better versions of these songs as this had an excellent remastering job. In fact, they still haven't remastered all of their albums yet.

The Doors - Perception... One of my favorite bands with a good set with all their albums, plus a lot of bonus content to boot.

Aerosmith - Pandora's Box... Good material here.

Aerosmith - Box of Rocks... Like the Slayer box set, this usually is pretty damn pricey but got it for pretty cheap due to an FYE discount. Huge collection of Aerosmith's 70s material, with a couple track bonus disc.

Pearl Jam - Ten Deluxe Edition... If you're a big Pearl Jam fan, this is pretty damn cool. It has three versions of Ten, the original, remastered and on lp. In addition, it has a reproduced journal, a reproduced demo tape and a lp-only early concert during the "Ten" period. Actually, this probably is the heaviest box set I have. Haha.

David Gilmour - Live in Gdansk deluxe... This you could only get at best buy. One of the best live albums with Gilmour playing with an orchestra.

The Doors - Box Set... More rare material.

Jimi Hendrix Experience - More rare material.

Nirvana - With the Lights Out - I know people will hate me for having this one, but I don't care. Lots of random rare material here.

Pink Floyd - Piper Gates at Dawn deluxe - One of my favorite albums with three discs. One is mono, one stereo and a disc of bonus content in a book-style format.

AC/DC - Bonfire... Awesome material here. Let There be Rock the Movie Live in Paris alone is worth it as it is probably one of the best concert cds ever put out. Now if only they could re-release the dvd with the good quality audio on these discs.

Led Zeppelin - Complete Recordings... It is what it is. Great collection of their entire discography with a good booklet as well.

Coheed and Cambria - Neverender deluxe... Great live box set with four shows on disc and dvd.

I have these, plus -

Ac/DC - Bonfire - Classic old AC/DC outtakes, and stuff I only had on vinyl.

I used to have this.
I must have either traded or sold it somewhere through the years.
This was a killer boxset indeed, as it does have a lot of rarities.

It's a shame when labels do box sets which are nothing more than expanded BEST OFS (like that Aerosmith one).

It's certainly good for casual fans who are content with a consolidated view of the bands best work, but not so much for fans who have most of the catalog anyhow.

I suppose certain products will always appeal to different levels of fans.

I used to have this.
I must have either traded or sold it somewhere through the years.
This was a killer boxset indeed, as it does have a lot of rarities.

It's a shame when labels do box sets which are nothing more than expanded BEST OFS (like that Aerosmith one).

It's certainly good for casual fans who are content with a consolidated view of the bands best work, but not so much for fans who have most of the catalog anyhow.

I suppose certain products will always appeal to different levels of fans.

Well...box sets usually are one of three things. Full of a bunch of rare material, entire discography or a compilation of past releases and rarities. I'm definitely not a fan of the extended best ofs, but for some of my favorite bands I like to have them, plus they usually have a good booklet attached.

MISFITS
This is the coffin shaped box set. This bad boy has everything and then some. The only thing missing from the Danzig era of the band is WALK AMONG US. This is one of those box sets that when I hear it, I can just get lost in, with so many different versions of the same song, yet each version is still unique enough to be interesting. Not sure how many Misfits fans are here, but still wanted to bring it up.

Always wanted to pick this up, but for some reason or another haven't.

Simon - Nice collection my friend!!!

Do not ever hesitate getting the Misfits. It's an amazing set.
Some of the material might be overkill, as for some songs, throughout the 6 CDs, you may have over 5 or 6 versions of.

I think what it showcases nicely is how good of a guitarist Bobby Steele is.
Most people are more familiar with the Doyle era and beyond.