Bringing back Royal Carnage memories

Papa Josh

Minister of Propaganda
This was an exchange on the code666 board here on Ultimate Metal and was a discussion between the singer of Atrox and a few others... :lol: :lol:

Original thread: http://ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2405279#post2405279

Black Winter Day said:
oh ok hehehe. no hard feelings at all...

good! :D

{atrox}the thing is this: one day I searched the forum for stuff about Atrox, it came up a thread on the Royal Carnage forum where Papa Josh said something negative about me and I just had a bit of fun bashing myself there... uhhh, maybe you wrote something in that thread too? Don't remember... At least I expected someone from Royal Carnage to find this thread based on a search for topics about Royal Carnage and I was right hehehe

actually, i check this forum every now and then (seeing as code666 is probably the top metal label around now) and i stumbled across it (and i knew about papa's review... heh heh). about that thread... i remember it well: you getting bashed and suddenly appearing in the conversation! :lol: that was pretty damn funny...

{Atrox}I thought most of you were only into death metal... I was wrong then... :Spin:

heh... 'sall good

{Atrox}What makes me think Papa Josh can't appreciate melodies and singing is that he says I have a "godawful voice". Now I can understand that I sound terrible when I mean to sound terrible (which is 5 % of the time) but to say that about a singer who has a completely normal and feminine voice is just beyond my comprehension. I'm not offended - we have had reviews that were ten times worse than that one - I'm just laughing and shaking my head, wondering if Papa Josh is stupid or if he just doesn't understand music...

okay... that's a bit pretencious (if he doesn't like your singing, then he is "stupid")... even though i find myself thinking the same thing at times (about some opinions), but it's a rather dumb assumption. papa josh is known for voicing his opinion fully (what he actually thinks, instead of qualifying everything, which only dampens the effect of a review) and vehemently. if he doesn't like something, he will say it's shit. that's just him and the way he does things. will some dislike him for it? probably, although they shouldn't. even if i had a discrepancy with one of his reviews, i would at least be aware of the fact that this is one guy speaking his mind (which is what reviewing is all about - generating feedback and giving the readers advice on what bands to explore... and which ones to ignore). he doesn't like your singing. so what? it doesn't mean he "doesn't understand music"... he, for whatever reason, is not a fan of your vocalizations. big whoop. it happens.

{Atrox}But that's just my opinion, and his review is just his opinion, sorry that I thought all of you were like that. BTW, wouldn't it be smarter to let someone who actually understands and perhaps likes a bit avantgardist music review albums like that? I hate rap, so I can't review rap albums - I'd only say "This is crap" to all of them....

this could be very much possible. if you browse our site, you will see there are two reviews for goatsblood's "drull". why is that? simply: one person hated it (papa, ironically), another loved it. thus, two dissenting opinions. i will check with the rest of the guys at RC and see if we can find another perspective on the album. cool?