camera's

St Enigma said:
That would be a pity, because many people love to shoot stills at gigs as a hobby and they would think twice about attending if all cameras were banned. I know I will if that ever happens here, but I'm lucky we don't have this issue to bother us yet here in Europe.

The show exists for both the fan's and band's love of the music, not so you can further your hobby.

St Enigma said:
That would be a pity, because many people love to shoot stills at gigs as a hobby and they would think twice about attending if all cameras were banned. I know I will if that ever happens here, but I'm lucky we don't have this issue to bother us yet here in Europe.

I'm just curious, but why is bootlegging an issue in the US? I seems to me that overall putting up a festival over there is fighting the windmills and I really appreciate your work, even I have never attended PP. Maybe comes a day...:headbang:

In Europe it is simple, because there is no significant market for self-made video bootlegs, every clip goes to web in minutes and nobody makes money of it. Hence the bands accept the status quo and stay more concerned about the real problem: illegal up- and downloading and actual pirated hard copy CDs flooding from former east european countries, China and Russia. That really hurt the bands' income, but what can be done, there is no real means to enforce the russkies *sigh*

uhmmmm.... no.. There are many shows in my area that don't allow cameras period (even if I was shooting the local opener) that doesn't deter me from going to the show. I simply walk back to my car and put the camera in the trunk.

If Glenn decides at some point to ban cameras, that's his choice. It's not gonna stop me from coming... because there are SO many other reasons to come. The bands(duh), the parties, Atlanta is a beautiful city, not to mention there are alot of people that I consider to be friends that I only get to see at these events.

So the outright banning of cameras would have little or no effect on attendance

scooterSST said:
uhmmmm.... no.. There are many shows in my area that don't allow cameras period (even if I was shooting the local opener) that doesn't deter me from going to the show. I simply walk back to my car and put the camera in the trunk.

If Glenn decides at some point to ban cameras, that's his choice. It's not gonna stop me from coming... because there are SO many other reasons to come. The bands(duh), the parties, Atlanta is a beautiful city, not to mention there are alot of people that I consider to be friends that I only get to see at these events.

So the outright banning of cameras would have little or no effect on attendance

Now we know where your camera is ;)

and Atlanta is a shithole. To god damn hot with nothing to do except progpower. Not that Progpower is a bad thing. Its the only reason I got to ATL except unless I'm flying on Delta.

Fuck ATL.

Dutch said:
Now we know where your camera is ;)

and Atlanta is a shithole. To god damn hot with nothing to do except progpower. Not that Progpower is a bad thing. Its the only reason I got to ATL except unless I'm flying on Delta.

Fuck ATL.

Ohhhh Come on now!! There's the COCA COLA MUSEUM!!!!! :lol:

Harvester said:
You are right. There is no way I can stop all of the professionals that want to boot a high copy. However, I will do what I can within my means to stop any recodings of my show. If it gets to the point where I cannot stop the leak in the damn with the assistance of my patrons, then I will simply ban all cameras.

As for the who sets the rule, that would be *me.* I chose to come down harsh because I saw specific performances being sold on ebay. I will not allow others to profit off of my work.

These performances you saw on ebay...could you tell if they were the shitty recordings made by a person with a digital camera or were they good quality shots made by someone with a high quality spycam hidden in the crack of his ass?

If it was of the crappy variety, the case can be made for banning cameras. If it was a high quality, well shot bootleg...banning cameras will not help at all, will it?

...and one other thought...What would the cost be to have someone patrol ebay for this crap and turn in the bootleggers? I bet the people here would do it for free. If the people cannot sell the stuff on ebay, the financial incentive may be low.

Patrick M said:
I'll assume the flame was meant for me. I had no intention of carrying this any further. Just wanted to express my opinion.

Thanks everyone:headbang:
Yep - we got it - you're not happy about the camera ruling, you are mad at greykiller cause you think she told you how to spend your $$ ( I did not get that from reading her post)......
Enjoy the show anyway, and lighten up... :kickass:

Harvester said:
I chose to come down harsh because I saw specific performances being sold on ebay. I will not allow others to profit off of my work.

Amen Brother! I never cease to be amazed by those who don't understand or accept this concept/principle held by individuals who work their ass off and spend big money (or live in poverty) to create something. Those who did nothing to contribute to the effort, but think they are entitled to profit from it (at no expense to themselves) are just not living in reality.

Cool, It's good to know I'll have the freedom to practice my concert photography, enjoy myself and document the whole experience with my new camera. I think even having the option to bring cameras in is very unique to ProgPower and one of the things that makes the event so awesome. I, for one, am a practicing photographer and I don't the chance to 'practice' my concert photography very often, if at all. At the same time, I don't want to be distracted with the photography efforts and not be able to enjoy the perforomances. That is my main goal.

Addendum: I havn't seen anything mentioned about phones. Many phones with built in cameras are capable of the aforementioned banned feature.

What is the stance on multi-media phones??

The difference in quality on phones and cameras is night & day at the moment. I can't check every phone at the moment at the door. It's going to be a play it as it goes situation.

Glenn

Rest assured that I have no interest in 'bootleggin' activities. For me, it's just about the memories and the experience and it's nice to capture some visuals from that experience. I'm grateful for the opportunity to do so. And I am SO stoked about attending my 4th PP event!!!

I am so happy that we even get to take camera's inside the venue. Most places ban them completely. My first Prog Power captured on film.
Thank you so much for this privilege.

The camera rules are more than fair. I can't bring my Kodak Easyshare as it's far above the top one on the list. But I already figured that, since it could take up to 80 minutes of video with the proper card. The most I've taken is about 5 mins - at Lanier Speedway until my cousin's car got tagged by another. :erk:

Keep up the great work Glenn and crew! I'll be shopping for a camera that's on the list or else bringing a film camera.

Thanks Again! :)

I decided after the first three PP's I was at that it just is not worth the time and effort it takes to dick around with taking pictures. In my estimation, it takes away from the performance because you are too busy f'ing around with the camera and waiting for the perfect shot. Well, I have since abandoned the idea of even taking my camera this year - I would rather focus on the music and the performance and remember it clearly in my mind. At least I can say all this bullshit camera whining does not affect me in the least anymore, which is nice. Maybe this perspective will help others to decide that it's really not worth it.

steelreign said:
I decided after the first three PP's I was at that it just is not worth the time and effort it takes to dick around with taking pictures. In my estimation, it takes away from the performance because you are too busy f'ing around with the camera and waiting for the perfect shot.

So true. I think that with Glenn offering very high-end video and audio to the bands this year and likely for years to come, you are going to see more and more bands releasing full-length videos from ProgPower that you can watch over and over. At minimum, a few songs will get placed on bonus DVDs with studio releases. And hopefully Glenn can work something out to produce his own video for sale, not to mention continuing to add certain band videos to the video archive section of this website. Snapshots are nice for the scrapbook, but nothing beats reliving an experience by wathcing it on video, and there should be a lot more videos coming from ProgPower USA with the new video production company available to the bands. A big thumbs up to Glenn for making that move.