Capitol One Dragonforce commercial

Not a huge fan of Dragonforce, but I'll give it to them, the commercial doesn't make me want to kill myself like commercials usually do. :p Or to put it more seriously, that's pretty clever, relative to most commercials.

I guess it's official now, Dragonforce have gone "commercial" :)

P.S. I've never heard much of Dragonforce before so forgive my ignorance , but did they speed up this song? because those fingers seem ungodly quick on that fretboard..????
I've seen fast solos before, but jesus christ!!.... But perhaps it's a trick and the song is just sped up....

haha I saw this going around on Facebook and laughed really hard. Someone at Capital One's marketing and PR has a really adorable sense of humor. :)

I guess it's official now, Dragonforce have gone "commercial" :)

P.S. I've never heard much of Dragonforce before so forgive my ignorance , but did they speed up this song? because those fingers seem ungodly quick on that fretboard..????
I've seen fast solos before, but jesus christ!!.... But perhaps it's a trick and the song is just sped up....

Yeah they probably do speed up their solos in the studio. They can't play all that stuff live very well, most of it is backtracked nowadays so you can't hear the mistakes. I don't care. Band is fun as hell, and the vast majority of bands these days use studio trickery in some form or another and can't actually play their own songs anyways.

Not a Dragonforce fan by any stretch, but I did lol at the commercial. Good work to whomever put that one together.

No, they are that damn good. If anything, that's the main criticism of them, speed is their gimmick.
I guess they're pretty good. I'm not huge on autotuning a guitar solo, and there's more to playing than speed, but yeah, they do have chops.
It is their gimmick. Speed has its place, but to do it like that in every song, it gets tired to me after a while.

Yeah they probably do speed up their solos in the studio. They can't play all that stuff live very well, most of it is backtracked nowadays so you can't hear the mistakes. I don't care. Band is fun as hell, and the vast majority of bands these days use studio trickery in some form or another and can't actually play their own songs anyways.

Studio trickery is all fun and well until you do it for every instrument on every song on every album. Then, to me, it's like "Dude, are you serious? You can't play your own material?"
Being a true Prog-Nerd at heart (original prog; Genesis, King Crimson, Rush, YES, ELP, etc.), I have a big thing about people being able to play their own material and pulling it off perfectly live. And in the days of the old school Prog, there was no autotune, not nearly as much studio trickery, every note had to be hit dead on. Every take had to be perfect. There was very little 'fixing in Post-Production".
My point is that I'm far more impressed with a band that actually plays their instruments for reals. Yeah it might sound cool and fun with backing tracks, but it feels less organic.
A show, to me, is more than just "WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" and loud thundering instruments. The stage is a place for a band to prove themselves as musicians and performers. Performing is about more than just putting on a fun show. It's about putting on a good show.

Then again, I'm a critic... and a dick.

Haven't seen this on TV yet..

It may not be a TV commercial...could just be an internet ad. I actually close caption all the Capital One commercials and I havent seen this one come through yet. This can also be released ahead of time by the agency before airing on tv...that happens too. I will keep an eye out now at work.

A show, to me, is more than just "WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" and loud thundering instruments. The stage is a place for a band to prove themselves as musicians and performers. Performing is about more than just putting on a fun show. It's about putting on a good show.

Hence why PP is such a value. I can't really think of any sets I've seen there that I would consider not worth the price of admission. Everyone brings their 'S' game.

I think the issue with Dragonforce live isn't so much that they can't individually pull off their material at full speed, it's that they can't do it in harmony. The band just isn't tight live. They are also known to be kinda smashed when they take the stage.

They do put on a fun live show, at the very least. I've never been able to get into the studio stuff, but when I saw them live it was a good time. I don't know if the accusations of studio forgery are true, I don't know their material well enough to catch any alterations live. But even if they can't play it perfectly on stage, at least they manage to make it enjoyable even to somebody like me who isn't a fan of their studio output. Power metal, to me, is about passion. Big sweeping epics, tragedies, heroism, glory, all that nerd stuff. When you make it all about the speed you can play at, it really loses its appeal. "Through the Fire and Flames" kind of got there, but despite repeated listens studio DF just sounds sterile and flat to me.

That said, their popularity in the US encourages me. Even if I wouldn't have picked them to be ambassadors for Euro-style metal in the states, it's encouraging to see people getting exposed to them who might not ever hear Blind Guardian or Kamelot. It's a gateway drug, and if even 10% of their fanbase reaches out and looks for more stuff like Dragonforce, it's good for the rest of us.