children of bodom

neovenom

Apr 30, 2003
Marietta, GA
Visit site
i was downloading some rare nightwish tracks, and i came across a song called "red light in my eyes: part II." it was obviously misnamed, because it didn't sound much like nightwish. i search again with the song title, and i get results for a band named children of bodom. i also got another song called "everytime i die" by them. both tracks kick very much ass in my opinion. so if anyone knows about this band (i figure this would be the place to ask), please give your thoughts, suggestions for other songs/albums. thanks.

Children of Bodom fucking rules!!! All their albums slay! Follow the Reaper is their most melodic one (Everytime I Die is from that one), Hate Crew Deathroll is their latest, it is heavier but kicks serious ass, Hatebreed is also great (their second album) and Something WIld is their first (Red Light in my Eyes is from that one...they were 16-17 years old when they recorded that album!!!). Their live album "Tokyo Warhearts" is one of the best live metal albums ever. If you like this kind of music, get ALL the albums. They all kick ass!!!

COB kicks!

I was never into Death Metal but this band and their melodic approach to it started to get me to open up my mind to some other bands in this genre.

One of the funniest things we do to get a chuckle on Seismic Radio, myself and some other chat members and DJ's always recite the infamous Tokyo Warhearts chant (that is the live COB album) "We are Children of Bodom and we come from fucken Finland" :)

It's crazy how fans of different metal scenes see things so differently. Actual death metal fans would never call COB death metal. People at PP4 were actually calling mercenary death metal! that's crazy. I am a fan of too many genres I think, as I am always having to change my approach to how I talk about things since the different kinds of fans won't understand what I'm talking about unless I do this.

I think they're fairly genreless, but their vocals are somewhere between death and black. I just know some people would kill someone for calling them death metal, but I wouldn't. It's just like how we don't know the different kinds of rap (if there are any) or how a pop fan would hardly know the difference between prog and power.

Label or not...bottom line I always tell people is if you like the music who gives a fuck what they call it. I listen to so many genres of music that I hate describing it but I can see for the purpose like this board or talking to someone you kind of want to form an image of what they might sound like...usually I just say, here is the damn song (or album) listen to it and form your own opinion. If you like it buy it, if not play Britany Spears! ;)

Hey, I see that you live in Macon, neovenom. if you don't mind the drive to Atlanta to check them out, Children Of Bodom are going to be here on November 18th with Hypocrisy, Nevermore, and Dimmu Borgir at the Masquerade. should be a good show. (though if Dimmu hides their drummer off to the side of the stage behind a post again I'm writing them off completely) COB seem to be playign third, so they should have a decent set length. Nevermore, for some unfathomable reason, seem to be playing second, but I'm not going to get started on my opinion of this.

Ryan

Se7enChurches said:
Hey, I see that you live in Macon, neovenom. if you don't mind the drive to Atlanta to check them out, Children Of Bodom are going to be here on November 18th with Hypocrisy, Nevermore, and Dimmu Borgir at the Masquerade. should be a good show. (though if Dimmu hides their drummer off to the side of the stage behind a post again I'm writing them off completely) COB seem to be playign third, so they should have a decent set length. Nevermore, for some unfathomable reason, seem to be playing second, but I'm not going to get started on my opinion of this.

Ryan

yeah, i just heard about the tour. i'm not certain if i'll be able to go, but i've got an early class the next morning, but i'd definitely like to check them out in person. maybe cheap ticket prices will be a motivating factor :)

neovenom said:
yeah, i just heard about the tour. i'm not certain if i'll be able to go, but i've got an early class the next morning, but i'd definitely like to check them out in person. maybe cheap ticket prices will be a motivating factor :)

$18 advance

Ryan

Children Of Bodom you say...

That is just a band that passes by, nothing special.

It´s like thry can´t decide wether they should play death or power, same thing with the singer, he can´t decide wether to growl or to sing normally.

I can't wait to see them live in Chicago this year!!! Nevermore is also great live band, and it should be interesting to see Dimmu Borgir (their new album is pretty cool)

I *love* Bodom. I can't wait to see them with Dimmu (goin to the NJ metal fest and the Lamour show). As far as their genre goes...I call it neoclassical thrash metal. Seems to work for me, I definately wouldn't call them death metal or black metal...musically it doesnt sound like that, and I think they're too heavy to be call power.

DrBell said:
People at PP4 were actually calling mercenary death metal! that's crazy.

Lots of heavy guitar work, not speedy-wheedly, and some deep growled vocals... calling them death metal isn't exactly wrong... but certainly live, they are a lot less death than they sound on CD since the clean singer takes such an upfront role...

DrBell said:
I am a fan of too many genres I think, as I am always having to change my approach to how I talk about things since the different kinds of fans won't understand what I'm talking about unless I do this.

I should make it a point to meet you at next year's Progpower; it seems like you and I are pretty similar, taste-wise.

Ryan