Chill Music

Satanstoenail

My Larpstyle determines my Derpstyle
Sep 6, 2006
Arse End
What chill out music do people here like? Name your favorite artists and provide links where possible if you can be bothered. I haven't bought any new chill stuff for ages and would love some tips.

Some stuff I like:

High Pass Filter - Live hip-hop/trip-hop/dub from Melbourne.

Bohren & der Club of Gore - Ambient Jazz from Germany, very David Lynch-esque.

The Herbaliser - Jazz/funk hip-hop on the Ninja Tune label.

Portishead - legendary trip-hop outfit from Bristol UK.

Massive Attack - another popular trip-hop artist from UK.

Unkle - Brainchild of James Lavelle, head of the legendary MoWax Recordings label.

My fave chill album is Headz 2a, released on MoWax in 1996. It features two 80 min cds full of remixes & rare tracks. It's one of my desert island albums for sure. It's quite hard to find in stores but you can find the odd copy floating around on eBay. It looks like this:

head2a.jpg

Boards of Canada, Helios, Massive Attack, Datach'i, Atrium Carceri, Slowdive, GSY!BE, God Is An Astronaut.

Yeah, keep promoting that INLAND EMPIRE movie....

Anyway, my chill music consists of classical and ambient style stuff like Eluvium and Dark Sanctuary

Mathiäs;6846612 said:
Yeah, keep promoting that INLAND EMPIRE movie....

Anyway, my chill music consists of classical and ambient style stuff like Eluvium and Dark Sanctuary

How is Eluvium.

INLAND EMPIRE also has a good soundtrack. So why not talk about it?

I dont know if chill out is some specific form of music but what I listen to for relaxation is XM's Watercolors or various stuff by DiMeola, Ponty, Metheny, Pass, Rite of Strings

Might not be considered "chill" music, but when I ease on out it's Ulver-"Perdition City.", Arvo Part-"Tabula Rasa", Miles Davis-"Kind of Blue." To that effect.

Biosphere - Substrata

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works '85-'92

Brian Eno - Anything from Ambient 1: Music for Airports up to Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks is great ambient music. Can't say about the stuff after that. The stuff before is also nice but not as suitable as chillout music. The albums he did together with Harold Budd (specifically The Pearl) are also great.

Cocteau Twins

Dead Can Dance

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Delerium - I really don't care for their latest three or so releases but Karma is a pretty good new-agey chill album and the older stuff is amazing spacey ambient.

Synaesthesia

A Small, Good Thing - Slim Westerns

O Yuki Conjugate

Love Spirals Downward - Flux

Robert Rich - Calling Down the Sky and also his collaboration albums with Lustmord and Steve Roach are great.

Hope Sandoval & the Warm Inventions / Mazzy Star

Phil Western - Worlds End ("Where" is the only good track on his myspace, the rest seems to be random unreleased junk not anything like the album I just recommended)

You can't really go wrong with any of the major 4AD artists/releases really (mainly shoegaze/dreampop) if you're into that style. Also if you like Portishead you could look into Beth Gibbons' solo album called Out of Season.

Oh yeah! Forgot Cocteau Twins...and Steve Roach, Vangelis, and of course, Tangerine Dream.