Collections, rarities, and questions about.

Savage Pumpkin

AKA Mr. Future World
Sep 6, 2008
Skokie, IL
I thought it would be fun to have a thread dedicated to this as I have not seen one. So heres what I envision it to be about.

a) Primarily things you have in your collection that are the rarest of the rare (to either you or to the world)

b) Questions on rare objects you have or are looking for. Or just questions on "are these for real"?

So I will start things off by listing a few items below. My questions are

1) Does anyone own these items?
2) Does anyone have any idea the value?

Item #1: Metallica- "Creeping Death/ Jump In The Fire" EP. Format CD

a)Creeping Death
b) Am I Evil?
c) Blitzkrieg
d) Jump In The Fire
e) Seek And Destroy
f) Phantom Lord

Label: Phonogram
Year : 1983

Item #2: Helloween- "Treasure Chest" Box with Third rare disc of B-Sides

Item #3: Kai Hansen- Heading For Tomorrow 12" Vinyl signed by Kai Hansen and Dirk Schlacter. This was pressed before the band was to be called Gamma Ray. It was to be called Kai Hansen. Comes in a Light blue cover with Kai Hansen printed on front. When you pull out the record its the actual Gamma Ray "Heading For Tomorrow" album.

I've got that 'Tallica, but have no idea about the value. I looked on eBay, but didn't see the EP...there were a lot of vinyl offerings, though.

I suppose that could be very good news -- or not. :)

I have both 1 & 2, have no idea of their value.

I have a signed Maiden Japan live EP signed by the 82 version of the band, minus Steve Harris, but including Clive Burr....No idea of the vakue....

Some people may consider these to be pure garbage, but I think some of the coolest "rare" things I have in my collection are Rhapsody's demo tape "Eternal Glory" and Angra's demo tape "Reaching Horizons". They're both in the original format they were when released close to 20 years ago.

I have the 3 disc version of TREASURE CHEST.
Not really rare at all. There are probably at least 5 copies of that on eBay at any given time.
I got mine for like 10 bux at the Hillside Record convention.

I have a good amount of rare stuff.
Main bands I have rarities of are Gates of Slumber, Manilla Road, Maiden, Trouble, Novembers Doom, etc.

With eBay, and the web in general, non-US pressings aren't a rarity anymore.

It really takes something that was indeed limited, or self released by the band, to be a true rarity, in my opinion.

Some people may consider these to be pure garbage, but I think some of the coolest "rare" things I have in my collection are Rhapsody's demo tape "Eternal Glory" and Angra's demo tape "Reaching Horizons". They're both in the original format they were when released close to 20 years ago.

No way! Even though you know my toughts on ANGRA, any self released demo is an EXTREME rarity.

To address the first question, that Kai Hansen, pre Gamma Ray, titled EP isn't ALL that rare, I have seen them, but have yet to pick one up. Granted, you aren't going to find them every day, but I have probably seen 10 or so of them over time. As for my rare stuff:

Annihilator original Phantasmagoria '86 demo signed by Jeff and John, got it from Jeff so I know it's legit.

Annihilator hoodie from the Carnival Diablos tour that is rumored to have come from Joe Comeau, I don't know that for certain though.

Judas Priest - Nostradamus LP box set with the inside poster signed by the band.

F.B.I. - Hell On Wheels EP (special project that Ralf Scheepers was hired to do vox on. I have this on cd, signed by Ralf)

Therion - Vovin vinyl picture disc, signed by Ralf Scheepers

Tyran Pace - Watching You on vinyl, signed by Ralf Scheepers

Helloween - Rabbit Don't Come Easy in a giant plastic top hat, including: digipack cd, pumpkin seeds in a pouch, Helloween yoyo, stuffed toy rabbit, and a XL Just A Little Sign tshirt. Signed by Mickey D.

A set of used guitar strings from Kai Hansen, his guitar tech took them off of his pink V as we were chatting at their MN show here back in '06, and asked me if I wanted them rather than him throwing them away. Of course I took them, haha.

A pair of drumsticks signed and drawn on by Dr. Killdrums, from the Weapons of Mass Destruction set at PPUSA. He had thrown some in the crowd and promised that he would throw me one or two if he saw me because before they had gone on, he was frantically trying to find someone who had Streets that he could listen to. I just so happened to have my Ipod and let him borrow it for a couple of hours for him to get some last minute practice time in. He didn't see me in the crowd so I caught up with him the next day and he had them saved for me in the hotel room, but I didn't see him anymore at the festival. He had previously given me his card (he has a business making homemade knives) so I called him up and he mailed them to me that week.

Iced Earth 2008 tour jacket signed by the band.

I have some other things too, to be sure, but this is all that I can think of off of the top of my head, at the moment.

It really takes something that was indeed limited, or self released by the band, to be a true rarity, in my opinion.

I tend to agree.....things like radio-only promos that were released in limited quantities from the get-go. Sadly, my copy of Not So Vulgar Display Of Power has been well-used. :) (We've probably used it to play 'clean' Pantera songs on WREKage during every other broadcast or so.)

I would have loved to get 15 Pieces of Live Shit (which was the censored 'store' release for 'Tallica's Binge and Purge box-set), but even at record-shows it was selling for $40+.

Hmmm. "Self-released by the band...."
I have a cassette tape of old Hawkwind and Michael Moorcock & the Deep Fix rarities, home-recorded by the artist himself, with a lovingly hand-copied cassette 'liner' sleeve, and it's also autographed. Limited edition of four -- one to each founding member of his fan-club. That's probably the "rarest" thing I have. :)