Comics Thread #2

Co-Creator Corey Walker drew the first seven issues. Ottley took over after that.

Invincible_poster_by_WyA.jpg

Invincible_75_cover_PENCILS_by_WyA.jpg

Just a taste of his greatness. :p

Love Haunt. I've only read the first 12 issues though, so I'm a bit behind.

Got Batman and Robin #1 today, looks awesome from skimming through it. Read Fear Itself #6 first thing though. Epic event is epic!

The skinny paperbacks.
I'm currently looking for some post-apocalyptic comics/graphic novels, any suggestions? I only know of The Walking Dead, but I'm looking for post nuclear war or something like that.

http://www.onipress.com/thebigwet/

Book called Wasteland. That's the official website. Fucking amazing. The writer even pulled some strings and created a soundtrack for the book as well. I'm on like issue #9 so far. Seriously impressed.

No problem dude! I learned of this book (and a few more I plan to check out) from www.thesindiecate.com. It's a comic artists blog where Ryan Ottley (the reason I checked it out :lol: ), David Lafluente, Mike Choi and a few others pick an independent book a week and do sketches of a character or moment. Really great stuff.

As for Wasteland, I'm almost done with the first hardcover and I plan on buying volume two tomorrow for damn sure. Micheal is a fantastic main character. Love the cover for issue #1 too.

wlwallpaperiphone2.jpg

Gorgeous! Sets the mood perfectly.

Just finished reading the first issue, seems interesting. Sucks that there are no comicstores anywhere near here, so I have to order stuff, which means I'll usually read it on the computer before ordering, since I can't browse through it in a store. It takes away alot of the comicbook feel having to read it on a screen.

Agreed. The giant oversized harcovers are my favorite. The ones for Y, The Last Man, Wasteland, The Walking Dead and the Spawn Origins ones are really really well done. I'm sure I'll add Sandman to that list too. I ordered the Absolute Vol. 1 and saw pictures of it online and it looks gorgeous.

As for other things....

CHEW. Holy shit, this book is fucking weird. Main character is a cop who gets psychic visions of whatever he eats. So, he eats an apple, he gets a vision of people picking it, he knows what pesticides were used on it, where it grew, etc. He eats a hamburger.... Well.... He doesn't eat meat much. :lol: This also means he's one hell of a detective, if he doesn't mind gnawing on the bodies of the dearly departed that is. The first paperback is fairly cheap, and I'm sure you could read the first issue online somewhere too. Highly recommended.

SECRET WARRIORS. This book needs a little bit of previous knowledge to fully enjoy, but it's not necessary. Nick Fury is no longer the head of SHIELD. At the end of Secret Invasion, Norman Osborn took the kill-shot on the Skrull queen, and was named head of the newly created HAMMER (the remnants of SHIELD). Nick and his team of secret warriors, and Dum Dum Dugan and a bunch of Howling Commandoes go to war not against them surprisingly, but against longtime enemies HYDRA for reasons I wouldn't dare spoil here. :p
Almost done with the first volume, also highly recommended.

Hopefully I'll recieve my Batman Arkham City comicbook tomorrow. They sent it today, so it should be here tomorrow.

Has anyone in here ever read the comic "H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu?" If so, what do you think of it?

I think it's actually pretty cool, the way it takes characters like Herbert West and Randolph Carter and turns them into part of a "Lovecraftian Justice League" or whatever.

Not heard of it, but lately I've been getting into alot of genres other than Marvel, so I may check it out. :lol:

Latest things I'm reading, Morning Glories Vol. 2, which was damn good, and The Unwritten Vol. 1, also damn good. Oh, and Chew Vol. 1 too. Strange ass book that one, but fantastic nontheless.

As for single issues, Aquaman was the newest thing to really surprise me. I honestly didn't think I would read more than the first issue, but I was soooo wrong. X-Men : Schism #5 was great too, but Marvel's solicitations ruin most all the plot twists. :(

Can't wait to get The Unwritten Vol. 2, Northlanders Vol. 1, Y, the Last Man HC Vol. 3 and Wasteland HC Vol. 2. All enroute via Amazon.

Been wanting to get into Sandman, but the Absolutes are like $60+ on Amazon. The story seems amazing and I'm sure I'll love it, but $60 is alot for a book....

Got my Arkham City book today. There are 5 more chapters/issues than the ones that got released in digital form, unless they've been released long after the first 5 ones. Great read, and I can't fucking wait til I get to play the game. Sucks that it doesn't come out for PC until November 11th.

Same day as Skyrim....

I highly recommend Y, The Last Man. This series is just so god damn awesome! Being the last man on Earth isn't really what Yorick imagined himself being, until a strange plague, or SOMETHING killed all living men on the planet. All sperm, fetus and full grown male human, dog, lion, elephant, ANYTHING just died in an instant, save for Yorick and his pet monkey Ampersand. Honestly one of the best things I've ever read. I'm up to issue #27, and I have no clue where this series will end up.

Hardcover Vol. 1 - Issues 1-10
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Last-Man-Vol-Deluxe/dp/1401219217/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1318972975&sr=8-7[/ame]

Paperback Vol. 1 - Issues 1-5
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Last-Man-Vol-Unmanned/dp/1563899809/ref=cm_lmf_tit_6_rsrsrs0[/ame]

Personally, I'd say hardcover all the way.

Just read the second issue of The new 52 Batman. It was great, had alot of mystery to it, something that really leaves you wanting more. Sucks that I have to wait another month for the next one.

I don't have mine yet; it's on the way though.

Started Northlanders a few days ago. Pretty cool stuff. It's kinda strange with modern dialect though..... Vikings saying this like "You piece of shit!" and " Oh fuck!" seem kinda out of place. :lol:
Recommended nontheless.

Thinking about re-reading V for vendetta since 5th of November is coming up in a few weeks. Best graphic novel I've ever read.

so how does everyone feel about this whole DC getting re-vamped thing???
you guys love or hate this brand-new superhero universe???

The New 52 is how I got into DC Comics. However, I did read an article that said that only 5% of readers were new. Lotta good renumbering everything did, huh? :bah:

Anyway, what I read, I enjoy. Batman being the best. Greg Capullo is one of my favorite artists, and he just fits Batman perfectly. I'd say Justice League, Green Lantern, Detective Comics and Teen Titans round out my top five.