Concerto Moon - Angel of Chaos

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
I am not sure if this has been mentioned on this forum yet or not. If it has, I'm sorry for bringing this up again. All that talk about J-Rock and X-Japan on the other thread made me finally give Concerto Moon's new record, Angel of Chaos a chance. For those who are unfamiliar with the band, they are a Japanese Power Metal band with some neoclassical elements, led by Japanese guitar hero Norifumi Shima.

Now, I'm the first one to admit that I'm not a neoclassical power metal fan. That being said, this thing really sounded fun. Songwriting is over the top, and Takashi Inoue (vocals) has an accent, which makes things almost laughable but in a really good way. A lot of times, I can't tell if he's singing in English or Japanese. In a way, this is so epically bad that it's good!! Fuck it, it's so bad it's awesome!! :lol: Worth it at least for the fun of it.

Here's a promo video of the title track:

Plus, how can you not think a band that in their native country is pronounced KONCHERUTO MUN awesome? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, I'm the first one to admit that I'm not a neoclassical power metal fan. That being said, this thing really sounded fun. Songwriting is over the top, and Takashi Inoue (vocals) has an accent, which makes things almost laughable but in a really good way. A lot of times, I can't tell if he's singing in English or Japanese.

I wasn't a fan of their older stuff, but over the last couple of albums they have gone more and more into a direction I really like. Less "power metal" and more old school hard rock. There's a very clear link to old Alcatrazz albums in the last discs, and music just doesn't get much better than that (Alcatrazz that is ...). Unfortunately the accent is too heavy for my taste, but he has a nice voice though so it kind of evens itself out. I really like this.

c.

I wasn't a fan of their older stuff, but over the last couple of albums they have gone more and more into a direction I really like. Less "power metal" and more old school hard rock. There's a very clear link to old Alcatrazz albums in the last discs, and music just doesn't get much better than that (Alcatrazz that is ...). Unfortunately the accent is too heavy for my taste, but he has a nice voice though so it kind of evens itself out. I really like this.

c.

I was just thinking about how I can hear Alcatrazz in some of their newer material. And yes, the accent is thick, but just picture him singing in Japanese, afterall you can't really tell the difference at times. His voice is really powerful indeed.

As long as you don't take this band 100% serious, this is one of the most fun powerful metal albums of the year. Powerglove and other Power Metal bands who need gimmicks to be fun should take note.

I plan to check this out when I get a chance. I have one of their older CDs. It has a blue cover, but I haven't listened to it in a long time because I didn't like it much back when I got it. But if they've been improving in the past few years I'll revisit.

Why is it that lots of japanese power bands use strats? hahaha it works for them and sounds great so no complaining! \m/! awesome shit!

Why is it that lots of japanese power bands use strats? hahaha it works for them and sounds great so no complaining! m/! awesome shit!

It's simple. Yngwie did it.

Why so many progressive metal bands from Brazil and Europe, for instance, use MusicMan guitars?

Petrucci did it.

Why so many rappers get away with illegal shit?

Diddy did it.

I dig these guys! Heard their stuff on Pandora a few days ago and really enjoyed it. Glad to see they have something new out, I'll have to pick it up!

And here's honestly one of the best things about Concerto Moon, the lyrics to one of their songs:

Would you listen my story little princess?
Why you are so selfish?
Everything that you're watichin' and listenin'
Is there someone to join you?
Why don't you become smart

blah blah blah ...

As someone who doesn't have English as my first language, I don't like making fun of bands just because of their poor lyrics. I don't think it's fair and you shouldn't judge a band on that. (heck, English isn't your first language either, right bro? ;)).
However, once in a while some of the things said are just too friggin' hysterically funny to "overlook", and yes, Concerto Moon definitely would fare much better if they stuck to their own Japanese rather than attempt at English.

c.

As someone who doesn't have English as my first language, I don't like making fun of bands just because of their poor lyrics. I don't think it's fair and you shouldn't judge a band on that. (heck, English isn't your first language either, right bro? ;)).
However, once in a while some of the things said are just too friggin' hysterically funny to "overlook", and yes, Concerto Moon definitely would fare much better if they stuck to their own Japanese rather than attempt at English.

c.

I didn't feel like I was making fun of it. If anything, I actually think that the accent added to the fact that their English grammar isn't necessarily correct adds to the whole package. If anything, it shows that the band is not overly worried about the fact that everything needs to be perfect, which seems to be a problem these days... so many bands make stuff so friggin artificial, to the point of using somebody else outside of the band to write the lyrics. Plus, it's how you said too.. Something are too hysterical and they make the band what they are.

Who hasn't laughed at Sonata Arctica's lyrics to Last Drop Falls?

"You're Always Ready For A Ride
Walking In The Cool Night Air
Without Underwear
You Have Red Light Burning In Your Soul, I See It Glow..."

"Now That I Have Found The Whore In You, Why Can't I Tell You No?"

Come on, now! And it's a sappy little ballad! :lol:

I have pretty much only said real good things about this band in the thread, by no means I am bashing them. I do think it's fun though. So many times, Japanese culture (music, videogames, film) have a hard time translating their media to English (remember the videogames in the late 80s and early 90s?) that it's almost expected.

I can see your point though, and because of that I will go ahead and erase the post with the lyrics, just so you (or anyone else) feels offended anymore. :)

Edit: Done. :)

I admit this does sound fun, but unfortunately much like other Japanese bands I just can't get past the vocals. It has nothing to do with the lyrics or even if they would sing in their native language, I just don't like the sound of the vocals.

I've always liked those Sonata lyrics, as well as Tony's awkward English moments on the early Sonata albums in general. I don't necessarily like it when lyricists obscure meaning behind vocabulary or foregrounded wordplays (Dani Filth notwithstanding). To me lines like those were Tony expressing what he wanted to say using the words that were available to him at the time, that he knew how to use. They may be corny by poet standards, but to me they show an honesty.

I've always liked those Sonata lyrics, as well as Tony's awkward English moments on the early Sonata albums in general. I don't necessarily like it when lyricists obscure meaning behind vocabulary or foregrounded wordplays (Dani Filth notwithstanding). To me lines like those were Tony expressing what he wanted to say using the words that were available to him at the time, that he knew how to use. They may be corny by poet standards, but to me they show an honesty.

Agreed completely. However it doesn't make me an asshole to find it entertaining, amusing and funny.

I'm loving this a lot. To me it sounds like Graham Bonnet era Impellitteri only with a Japanese version of Graham. The guitar riffs are very fiery and have the Impellitteri feel rather than the Yngwie feel for me. Either way this is very good and like Claus I am glad they went more old school shredding hard rock rather neo-classical power metal which gets boring after a while. Also the japanese lyrics and vocals all adds to the charm for me. That's why I love bands like Galneryus and Versailles so much.

I'm loving this a lot. To me it sounds like Graham Bonnet era Impellitteri only with a Japanese version of Graham. The guitar riffs are very fiery and have the Impellitteri feel rather than the Yngwie feel for me. Either way this is very good and like Claus I am glad they went more old school shredding hard rock rather neo-classical power metal which gets boring after a while. Also the japanese lyrics and vocals all adds to the charm for me. That's why I love bands like Galneryus and Versailles so much.

I do agree with your post, except for the Galneryus and Versailles part...:devil: