...curious about album artwork...

From what I know...most are commissioned by the label (or by the band). The art can be hand-done or digitally "assembled."

Also, a lot of times, labels have a bunch of miscellaneous artwork already gathered and they roll it out to bands at different times when trying to come up with appropriate album art.

Kinda takes the mojo out of it, don't it? But, I suppose it's part of the music "business."

For what it's worth...check out Ioannis' website at www.dangerousage.com. I've decorated my office with quite a few of his prints that were used for Fates Warning, but he's done many other types of art (various media) for other bands/projects as well.

Rock on!

It varies. If an llustration is used, it's more often than not, still placed into a computer file that is processed by the printer. Far and wide, though, most art is done by an artist on a computer (remember the software Photoshop) even if illustrations/paintings are used.

Likewise bands have a variety of options, depending on their contract and relationship with their label. They can often bring in a friend to do the work, or maybe a band member (or their great aunt) is an artist, the label itself can comission the work of a specific artist, etc. Ashaman is right, often, an artist has extra pieces that will be used on consignment basis.

By and large, in the metal scene, digital artists are employed... myself being one of them. The metal genre (and all it's variants hereafter) is an interesting one... some of the best digital artists and artwork is prominent in scene, and outside perhaps the techno scene.

All depends. Like many have said before me.

Some artists use a combination of hand work and digital.

I'm a graphic designer myself and enjoy using a combination of digital and hand done art.

At this point though, everything layout wise is done with computers.

Drop a scan of whatever the art may be into the program of your choice ( Illustrator, Quark, Indesign etc. ) move the text around, resize.

While we are at it, I'm going to whore out some of my own stuff.

http://dreamneonblack.deviantart.com/

Click on the gallery. and feel free to leave some comments.