Device (aka Disturbed Jr.)

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Other than replacing the underlying beats with an industrial edge, it's not really that different from Disturbed to me. That's probably because David uses the same vocal delivery and that was always my focus with Disturbed.

And for the record, I love Disturbed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too love Disturbed. And I would agree, there's little that separates this from Disturbed. That said, the song leaves me flat. In part, because if just feels like recycled Disturbed. And in part, because his voice sounds worn out.

That's probably because David uses the same vocal delivery

I really don't think he's capable of doing anything else. Disturbed is pretty much the range and his limits.

I also love Disturbed, been a fan since they popped into the scene. And David. He's a really awesome guy who has responded to every tweet I've ever sent him, critical and not. And his voice is phenominal for what it is. There's nothing wrong with anything, and I like this new song, if it's not a bit boring/repetitive overall. I can't wait to see him perform refreshed with a new band and new music.

It reminds me a lot of a modernized Nine Inch Nails. I'd love to see David work with Reznor and see what could come of it.

My thoughts exactly. It sounds a little bit stronger to my ears than the last couple of Disturbed outings, maybe because that industrial tint makes it sound heavier, but if I didn't know that this was a new band, you could have told me this was the new Disturbed single and I'd have believed you.

Other than replacing the underlying beats with an industrial edge, it's not really that different from Disturbed to me. That's probably because David uses the same vocal delivery and that was always my focus with Disturbed.

And for the record, I love Disturbed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K1q1pw04Bs

I'm so bummed at how crappy this turned out to me imo. It just sounds like the last few Disturbed albums with some industrial elements, but I was really hoping this would be a full on industrial/goth whatever album in the vain of the debut album. There's something about this song that's just not dark enough, which bums me out. Maybe the rest of the record is better.

Basically - I was expecting it to sound like this:

Last edited by a moderator:
Only thing different to me from Disturbed is its lighter and there are keys or keys tracking...Its not bad but definitely rehashed Disturbed

Bear

They really peaked around 10,000 Fists. Everything since is rehashed and recycled.

Now, I think Dave has a lot more to his voice than has been shown. If anyone remembers the acoustic tune Darkness from their second album Believe, you heard what is possible from him. He may not want to go that direction again, but I don't see any other option if he wants to avoid stagnation.

Darkness shows more of a softer side of his voice, but if you increased the volume and intensity of it, and then the intensity of the music, is it anything different than the clean vox on a normal disturbed song? really?

is it anything different than the clean vox on a normal disturbed song? really?

Absolutely.

His vocal tone may remain the same, but the repetitive, rhythmic delivery changes immensely and really opens up his ability to hold a note or emote on different phrasing.

That said, I'm all about bringing back the monkey fuck screeches from the debut.

^^^ I truly believe he has yet to reach his vocal potential. His clean tone is fantastic but rarely does he get to showcase that talent. I thought a side project would have brought that out but apparently not.

I only like DISTURBED from Ten Thousand Fists on up because I like the more old school sound with guitar solos and such and the anthemic choruses. Actually, I hate the monkey fuck sounds. Sorry, Glenn. I'm digging DEVICE, though.

I agree that it sounds like an industrial version of Disturbed. I'm not really a big Disturbed fan because there are too many of their songs sound too similar to each other. So, as something that sounds slightly different, i kind of like it. Now I just need to see if the album is a collection of songs or the same song over and over.

I saw this thread and was expecting a negative reaction, haha. I've been a fan of Disturbed since they began, and they are the band that got me started with music pretty much. That said, I do like the new Device song, but I think David needs to give the song(s), as well as in Disturbed, more time to breathe. It's like during every moment of every song, he has to have vocals. I would like for there to be more atmosphere in more of the songs. And I definitely agree a few posts up on the song Darkness. That really showcases more of what David can do. It would be better if he used more of his range and not limit himself as much. I feel like Disturbed peaked around the Believe/TTF era. One review of the new Device album I've read seemed to imply there was more experimentation on the other tracks which I hope is the case.

The tracks 'Penance' and 'You Think You Know' below:

Device has announced a series of US tour dates. They will be kicking off a string of headline shows on April 10th in Mobile, AL and will be performing at several spring festivals. GEMINI SYNDROME and NONPOINT will support on select headline dates.

Device tour dates are as follows:

April
10 - Mobile, AL - Soul Kitchen *
12 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL - Culture Room *
13 - Orlando, FL - Tinker Field - WJRR Earth Day Birth Day
14 - Ft. Myers, FL - Fort Rock Festival
16 - Destin, FL - Club LA **
17 - Huntsville, AL -Sammy T's **
20 - Tyler, TX - Click's **
21 - Lubbock, TX - Lonestar Amphitheatre - KFMX Show
23 - Dallas, TX - Trees **
25 - Houston, TX - Scout Bar **