Devious - Domain

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Devious – Domain
Deity Down Records – 2007
By Adam McAuley

Devious-Domain-Cover.jpg

Domain is death metal that has some melody and thrash tendencies present in it. It carves images of balance between ferocity, harmony and aggression. There are some similarities towards bands like Decapitated with the jagged rhythms, but then there’s a more harmonious aspect that brings to mind outfits like At the Gates. The inability to completely pin down their sound allows the band room to breathe with their songs. They put together a display that has some depth as well, with a lot of uncharacteristic twists and turns to be found throughout.

Look at the track “The Repentence” for an example of the nuances the band is able to portray through their music. The main guitar riffs are chunky and appealing. Devious manage to maintain their focus very well throughout the length of the release. Still, I think there is a bit of wow factor lacking here that could make them even more promising. Maybe I wish the band would display their progressive tendencies more. They certainly have the knack to play punishing or melodic tracks. I would simply like to see them attempt to bring everything to the next level.

Regardless, there is a lot to become attached to here. The style of the band has enough variety to maintain momentum. They always throw in a hook at just the right time to keep things compelling enough. Despite this, I can’t help the feeling that the material is a bit pedestrian. It seems like Devious could have pushed the envelope more. They have all the ingredients here to make something really amazing and instead they end up being just very solid. Domain is still a release that is worthy of multiple listens.

Official Devious Band Website
Official Devious My Space
Official Deity Down Records Website