Dickinson or Di'Anno

The band Blaze is soooo overrated. Silicon Messiah just 'seemed' plausible since X Factor and Virtual XI were shit in comparison and the fucker couldn't sink any further.

Wolfsbane was good though.

DICKINSON!

No contest. By farrrrrrrrrrr a better singer. And better for Maiden too as they had a slight punk rock edge when Di'Anno was in the band. Dickinson's influence took them into the arena heavy metal realm. Much much better.

Originally posted by maestro_al
The band Blaze is soooo overrated. Silicon Messiah just 'seemed' plausible since X Factor and Virtual XI were shit in comparison and the fucker couldn't sink any further.

Wolfsbane was good though.

yeah wolfsbane rocked.
dont reall like TXF either but VXI is one fuckin great album imo, even if it aint maiden style. Silicon Messiah was great, but their 2nd album Tenth Dimension isnt really good in my eyes. 2 concept albums in a row is quite strenous...

Originally posted by The Trooper
...And better for Maiden too as they had a slight punk rock edge when Di'Anno was in the band.

But isn't that the whole debate? Some people prefer the punk edge that Iron Maiden and Killers brought to the table.

I'm not disputing that Dickinson is a better vocalist/song writer, but those first two albums put Maiden on the map, and it just would not have been the same without Paul.

Put it this way - compare the first two Maiden albums to Dickinson in Samson. IM win hands down, which also proved the songs themselves bring out the best in the vocalists.

So at the end of the day, we all must bow down to Steve Harris. :D

They should have called up Dianno when Bruce split instead of Blaze. That was crazy! Furthermore, Bruce's singing in Samson is much less irritating than it has become with Maiden. There's a moment on POM where he gets into Samson mode, but they are few are far between. Most of the time he feels he has to be balls out shouting. A good singer, but not one of the best metal singers of all.

Originally posted by MonsterRecords
They should have called up Dianno when Bruce split instead of Blaze. That was crazy! Furthermore, Bruce's singing in Samson is much less irritating than it has become with Maiden. There's a moment on POM where he gets into Samson mode, but they are few are far between. Most of the time he feels he has to be balls out shouting. A good singer, but not one of the best metal singers of all.

Bruce not one of the best of all time? Bite your tongue!

Or better yet, open your mouth and tell us who IS better IYO...

i agree with monster records.

bruce is a good vocalist, but a crap singer (note the difference?). get the maiden hammersmith 83 bootleg - bruce sucks so hard even i could have sung better some songs...

and i cant listen to live in donnington really as i get seriously annoyed by dickinsons voice there (crap recording?).

excellent singers are gillian or dio for example. bayley is a very good singer too imo.

Have you ever seen Bruce live? He is awesome - you gotta go beyond the Hammersmith 83 bootleg sessions.

Live in Donnington is crap - that was when Bruce was bored out of his head singing Maiden songs. Get Live After Death!

I agree about Gillian and Dio - they are good. Blaze Bayley is a good singer - he's just not very good at singing songs that Steve Harris writes. The octave is way out of his reach. If you listen to almost each intro on the X Factor, he really struggles to hit those low notes. Look at the intro to The Clansman too - Blaze's singing is pretty bad. Bruce does a better job when they do that song live.

I saw Maiden with Bruce on the Number of the Beast tour and it was great! That's a great album, but it just seems like album after album Bruce's wailing wears on your nerves a bit. It's as if he sings each song with the same emotion never waivering much.

Halford, Gillan, Dio, Mogg, Bonnet, Shelton, Lynott...all good singers too.

Originally posted by MonsterRecords
I saw Maiden with Bruce on the Number of the Beast tour and it was great! That's a great album, but it just seems like album after album Bruce's wailing wears on your nerves a bit. It's as if he sings each song with the same emotion never waivering much.

I think I can see your point, but I disagree. :D Actually you are right to a degree - Bruce was on top form up until Seventh Son.

No Prayer and Fear of the Dark are Bruce at his worst - he started to 'screech' a little.

His solo stuff is superb - rejuvinated and inspired, Chemical Wedding is just magic and stands as a classic in its own right. So when he came back for Brave New World, he actually sounded really good again for Maiden. The problem though was that Brave New World was a 'hit and miss' album - some songs rule, some suck.

Also kudos to Bruce/Maiden for influencing Power Metal - Helloween, Edguy, Hammerfall etc all owe a huge debt to Bruce.