District 97 - Weird chick fronted prog rock

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
Wow some totallly nerdy looking prog rock guys managed to somehow get this hot chick to sing for them. The results are actually pretty cool in a weird way. They can play odd time and muso till the cow come home and she can sing and pout at the front for the same amount of time. Somehow it's quite interesting and it works. The video animation effects looks nice too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was waiting to hear something about them after the last thread...I'm digging it. However, I have the feeling I will get tired of it very very quickly. I guess we'll see.

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that our entire set from CalProg 2010 is up for download at www.district97.bandcamp.com. There's no minimum price to download, but those who donate are entitled to some very cool gifts from us (credit on the next CD, signed merch, even play on the next album!). All proceeds will go directly towards recording our next CD. Think of it as a holiday gift to the future of creative music!

Some pertinent links:
http://district97.bandcamp.com/track/presto-vivace-back-in-nyc (our medley of Presto Vivace/Back in NYC)
(live video from CalProg)
(Our singer Leslie Hunt talks about "Live at CalProg")

The download and gift specifics are at www.district97.bandcamp.com. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
This band has been added to the Chicago Gamma Ray show @ Reggies on Feb 3rd.

Yeah, seems like on odd pairing. When I was at D97's show at Reggie's a couple nights ago I was wondering how Leslie's awesome prog-dancing goes over with a crowd of serious prog-rock/metal tuckers. I figure probably about as well as it will go over with German power metal barbarians.

And hey guys, enough with that Tom Sawyer, next time I wanna see a Meshuggah cover, alright? :D

Neil

This band is brilliant! No nerds and no weird chicks. Just great music.

LMAO win! Then again, the prog-heads are pretty nerdy usually.

It is for sure one of the best up and coming female fronted bands there are right now, along with Clandestine.

Speaking of Clandestine, how come you guys are not listening to them yet?!?!?!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8TgQAwjyWc&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbhailyWyF8&feature=related[/ame]

It is for sure one of the best up and coming female fronted bands there are right now, along with Clandestine.

Speaking of Clandestine, how come you guys are not listening to them yet?!?!?!

I am and love Clandestine! I picked up their debut "The Invalid" a while back and it instantly became a regular play for me. I call them To-Mera lite...they have a similar vibe but more accessible to the casual user...and that is coming from someone who is an enormous To-Mera fan!!! Not sure why they are not more popular but I hope their day will come.

As for District 97, I am looking forward to seeing them in Chicago at Reggie's with Gamma Ray. I am so stoked for this show as I have VIP tix for a meet and greet with Gamma. I am not the adoring starstruck type, but to have the opportunity to shake fuckin' Kai's hand and thank him for his musical genius will be worth the upcharge. :worship: