• The Odyssey

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
joro410 said:
11-10, on The Odyssey there isn't any weak songs, on DWOT "Witching
Hour" is just awful...

Whoa, are we voting on the albums or the title tracks? Okay, I agree with you about "Witching Hour," after the intro the piece kinda falls back and regresses to the band's debut album in terms of sound.

Okay, whether or not we're talking albums or title-tracks, The Divine Wings of Tragedy will always trump The Odyssey. I admire the effort of The Odyssey, and I especially enjoy Russell Allen's entrance into the song, but it has that pseudo-"through liquid" filter on his voice at times. So, it's not a bad song by any means. Probably a solid B+ in my book.

Now, The Divine Wings of Tragedy is a colossal beast indeed. It didn't hook me on first listen like Odyssey did, but that's because the song won't reveal its complexity on only one hearing, and that's where the song's longevity comes in. Every time I hear it, I usually notice something new or notice how much stronger a certain sequence of notes is than before. I really didn't get something like that from The Odyssey. In my book, it gets an A.

:loco:

Progbass said:
It seems like newer fans will pick the odyssey, cuz they probably bought the odyssey as their first symx record. While we older fans have been listening to DWOT and when we heard the odyssey, we thought, nothing can beat DWOT, heh.

no way man, I'm a 2003 fan and I've heard DWOT plenty of times, it's just a step behind odyssey right now. It was a step above when I first heard the album, but now it's back behind odyssey. Who knows in a few months it might put the odyssey behind it's back.

oh and witching hour rules, gotta love the double bass action going there.

Sabin17 said:
Whoa, are we voting on the albums or the title tracks? Okay, I agree with you about "Witching Hour," after the intro the piece kinda falls back and regresses to the band's debut album in terms of sound.

What don't you like about "The Witching Hour" ? I love that song. That awesome intro, the magic melody!

Sabin17 said:
Now, The Divine Wings of Tragedy is a colossal beast indeed. It didn't hook me on first listen like Odyssey did, but that's because the song won't reveal its complexity on only one hearing, and that's where the song's longevity comes in. Every time I hear it, I usually notice something new or notice how much stronger a certain sequence of notes is than before. I really didn't get something like that from The Odyssey. In my book, it gets an A.

How often did you listen to "The Odyssey"? First I experienced the song in the same way, but after listening to the song really often, I discovered new things and understood the song more and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.