Doug Pinnick from King's X needs help

mattbrood

PPUSA Facebook *****
Nov 8, 2008
www.facebook.com
I thought this would be a more appropriate post for the lounge

The friends and fans of Kings X front man dUg Pinnick are uniting to raise money for a much needed hernia surgery. Please give what you can!
King's X singer and bass player dUg Pinnick has been avoiding having a much needed hernia surgery due to the fact that he doesn't have health insurance. He has toured, recorded and rehearsed regardless of his painful condition. He is such a dedicated musician, and all of the King's X fans can attest to this. We are starting this fundraiser to help raise between $15, 000 - $25,000 for dUg to have his surgery and be able to do what he does best without enduring the pain from his hernia. dUg is not only one of rock's greatest musicians of all time, he is also the kindest soul who takes his time to talk to everyone he encounters. He has been labeled the "sweetest guy in the industry". He goes out of his way for everyone, so we felt it was time to rally up and give back. Please know that the gift you can give will be treated as a gift, and is not tax deductible. Your generosity is appreciated, more than we can say!

https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/2082/letsgivebacktodug

That's cool that folks are helping to raise funds.
I had a hernia repair surgery last year.
The recovery sucks!!!!
As a fellow bass player, he will be looking forward to a VERY painful period of "standing" and playing for at least 2 to 3 months.

Only thing that concerns me is the amount being asked........

I will have to go back and check, but when I got the bill (Luckily I do have insurance), I do not recall the procedure costing anywhere NEAR $15 to $25K.

I would say the amount is probably accurate. Having worked in health insurance for 10 years, I can tell you that healthcare providers have a certain amount that they charge and if you have insurance there is an "allowed amount" that the insurance company will pay for a certain surgery which is considerably less than the providers charge. If someone like Dug doesn't have insurance then the provider can bill for the total amount of the surgery

Well, I am basing this solely on the bill which I saw from my health insurance provider.
It showed the total amount of the procedure, as well as what was covered and what wasn't.
For me, it was just the copay..........

So are you saying then that health care providers will charge MORE if you DON'T have insurance?
I am not doubting you. I just didn't know that there could be a discrepancy depending on whether or not the patient has insurance.

A touring bassist definitely could NOT live comfortably with a hernia!
They are about to go on tour soon this year, so I assume he either has to get this done like TODAY, or probably wait a while.

Best of luck to him.

So are you saying then that health care providers will charge MORE if you DON'T have insurance?

More like, health insurance companies negotiate cheaper rates with health care providers. Insurance companies almost never pay full price for services.

So yeah, those who don't have insurance basically get screwed by the system.

More like, health insurance companies negotiate cheaper rates with health care providers. Insurance companies almost never pay full price for services.

So yeah, those who don't have insurance basically get screwed by the system.

Exactly!

The actual fee for a hernia surgery may be $15,000 in Dug's area, and since he has no insurance he would be expected to pay the full amount, whereas if the patient has insurance and the provider is contracted with that insurance company, they have to agree to the allowance which is usually a LOT less than the actual charge

When I was running a few years without insurance, I went to Mexico for dental, and would have go there if I had needed something medical related. Or India, or a number of places outside the US where care is a small fraction of what it is here. You're looking at maybe a third the cost of having something done here, and that would include an apartment to chill at down the road from the hospital and a maid to do the things you needed so you can recover. There is a huge medical tourism industry out there catering to those without insurance. Luckily, hernia surgery is relatively minor surgery (I've watched a few done) and hopefully he'll get through it relatively easy.

A message from Doug Pinnick:

"I am overwhelmed with the amount of love that people have shown by contributing to help me afford my hernia surgery. I have avoided this for way too long and I know that after my shows are lined up, I have to fix this immediately. I wish I could say that all the wonderful years of playing in King's X were financially rewarded, but it's not the reality. I'm not complaining. I am thankful that I get to make music for people who want to hear it. We will never stop working hard though, and will continue making music in good times and bad. It's a tough business, but it's what we were born to do and our fans have stood by us through it all. Without them we would not be here making music or doing shows. This I am thankful for everyday and it's because of our family, friends and fans that we were able to do it for this long. I can't thank you all enough for helping me when I needed it the most. Thanks to the people who have never heard of me or King's X and donated out of love. I hope I can repay you all someday with a huge hug and continue to make music that makes you think and groove...."