Dream Theater and Angra

GuyWhoLikesProg

New Metal Member
Mar 1, 2005
I was just browsing through the Mike Portnoy forum and he posted an update about the start of Dream Theater's 2005/2006 world tour. Many dates were European festivals, but three of the dates (all in Italy) are Dream Theater headlining shows featuring Angra as the opening act. Do you guys think that Angra will end up being a supporting band when this tour finally hits the states? That would be one hell of a show :headbang:

Even if this does happen, I'm still excited about seeing Angra at ProgPower as well, mainly because they'd have an hour and a half long set as opposed to a shorter, 40 minute set (which is more likely considering they'd be opening for Dream Theater).

I think they would gain a lot of new fans opening for DT. They wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but I think there are plenty of DT fans who'd love Angra. At least I know there's one - me. :)

OdinsCourt said:
No, I accidentally posted the same thing twice. Carry on!

Oh, nevermind then. By the way, I liked the song samples on the website (opening for Sonata Arctica is also pretty badass). My band has some crappy recordings posted here http://www.purevolume.com/advent if you're interested in hearing it. The last song is the only one with vocals (it's just our guitarist winging it). A little off topic, but I encourage others who are in bands to post links as well.

I can't really see them opening for DT. both good bands but different styles imo.

I don't think it's really much of an "oddball" tour -- hell, look at some of the tours that have graced the US in the past: Amorphis/Moonspell/The Kovenant with Armored Saint; Death with Hammerfall; Nevermore with Savatage; Devin Townsend with Symohony X... DT and Angra wouldn't be THAT different, that they couldn't tour together and bring a decent crowd.

However, the European tour lineups are almost always different than the US ones.

Actually, with Angra being so technical anymore, I think DT and Angra would be a fantastic bill for the states! I like to think that most DT fans could really dig Angra. I'm living in a world where I don't understand why Tad Morose, Brainstorm, Primal Fear, and Masterplan aren't huge here in the states! I just don't understand that!

YtseJammer said:
Dream Theater is going out with Megadeth in July and August.

Sounds like it from the looks of this post on the Portnoy forum (assuming this guy isn't just making crap up):

"Dave Mustaine recently announced that he wanted to tour with 5 other bands, he also used *'s to hint at their names...one of those bands was ***** *******..."

If they're not going to tour with Angra, Megadeth wouldn't be a bad alternative :cool:

Looks like Megadeth may be touring with Dream Theater and King Diamond. I hope he brings over a European band or two. Maybe Children of Bodom since Mustaine likes them. Also with Glen Drover and Shawn Drover being in the band they may get their buddies Pagan's Mind over here in the States or maybe another European power metal band. Ya never know!

Umm....Megadeth touring with Dream Theater.....?

I hope that doesn't hint and what their new album sounds like.

edgeofthorns said:
Actually, with Angra being so technical anymore, I think DT and Angra would be a fantastic bill for the states! I like to think that most DT fans could really dig Angra. I'm living in a world where I don't understand why Tad Morose, Brainstorm, Primal Fear, and Masterplan aren't huge here in the states! I just don't understand that!

Agreed completely about Angra. I think it would be a terrific bill. Not sure that the others you mention would be the best of openers for DT, but I do agree that they should be bigger in the states....they're not my favorites, but they're better than a lot of the stuff we have over here.