Dream Theater News

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
(Try not to make this a thread full of "Eh, that doesn't mean shit these days... - you guys get old quick doing that every single time this comes up...)

Dream Theater was nominated for a Grammy last night for the first time in their careers in the "Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance."

Nominees for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance include:

On The Backs Of Angels - DREAM THEATER
White Limo - FOO FIGHTERS
Curl Of The Burl - MASTODON
Public Enemy No. 1 - MEGADETH
Blood In My Eyes - SUM 41

So while the Grammy's for most people don't really have any more significance these days, nobody can deny that it's extremely cool that Dream Theater achieved that. Personally, I think Foo Fighters will take it (not because it's a better album, but it's the most popular of all), but it's nice to see Dream Theater getting a bit of mainstream attention again!

(Try not to make this a thread full of "Eh, that doesn't mean shit these days... - you guys get old quick doing that every single time this comes up...)

Dream Theater was nominated for a Grammy last night for the first time in their careers in the "Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance."

Nominees for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance include:

On The Backs Of Angels - DREAM THEATER
White Limo - FOO FIGHTERS
Curl Of The Burl - MASTODON
Public Enemy No. 1 - MEGADETH
Blood In My Eyes - SUM 41

So while the Grammy's for most people don't really have any more significance these days, nobody can deny that it's extremely cool that Dream Theater achieved that. Personally, I think Foo Fighters will take it (not because it's a better album, but it's the most popular of all), but it's nice to see Dream Theater getting a bit of mainstream attention again!

that is very awesome! I just don't see how the foo fighters get grouped into the whole category.... even if they are considered hard rock, i mean they seem to be the odd ones out of the bunch from the 5 bands that were nominated. even sum 41 is more "hard rock / metal" than them in my opinion.

It would be really nice if the grammys started splitting that category into Hard rock and THEN metal, separately.

that is very awesome! I just don't see how the foo fighters get grouped into the whole category.... even if they are considered hard rock, i mean they seem to be the odd ones out of the bunch from the 5 bands that were nominated. even sum 41 is more "hard rock / metal" than them in my opinion.

It would be really nice if the grammys started splitting that category into Hard rock and THEN metal, separately.

Foo Fighters is hard rock. In fact, they're one of the most awesome mainstream rock bands out there. Awesome stuff (and with a great new record too)!

I thought Sum41 was the odd one in the list. I don't agree with it, and yes, I find it ridiculous, but at this point it makes no sense to complain about the Grammy choices. I just try to focus on the nominations that I actually find to be real cool, such as DT...

Cool to see DT on here, but I hope Foo Fighters wins. Their new record is AMAZING.

also Sum 41 is srsly still around?

In the associated Blabbermouth article, it states "In an effort to continuously evolve its Grammy Awards process, The Recording Academy announced in April that it had restructured the Grammy categories across all genres and fields, bringing the total number of categories to be recognized at the 54th Grammy Awards in 2012, to 78 from 109. As a result, instead of separate "Best Metal" and "Best Hard Rock" performance prizes, there is now a single "Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance" award. "

That might explain the variety of acts within the category.

While I am thrilled with the recognition this gives to DT, it is a shame that it comes after Portnoy is gone from the band. I can't imagine how lame that will be for him if they win...

Another interesting thing is that this is Mastodon's second Grammy nomination. I guess I really underestimated their relevance...

While I am thrilled with the recognition this gives to DT, it is a shame that it comes after Portnoy is gone from the band. I can't imagine how lame that will be for him if they win...

:lol: It must sting pretty bad right now...

I can't help but find ironic that after he leaves, all of these amazing things start happening for the band... #6 on the Billboard Albums Chart, Grammy nomination, very successful (revenue-wise) tour, the best record the band has released in many years, etc...

He really must hate his life right now...

:lol: It must sting pretty bad right now...

I can't help but find ironic that after he leaves, all of these amazing things start happening for the band... #6 on the Billboard Albums Chart, Grammy nomination, very successful (revenue-wise) tour, the best record the band has released in many years, etc...

He really must hate his life right now...

In interviews, he's always going on about how happy he is without Dream Theater...I know it's all a lie.

Wasn't blown away by that song or the album, but I hope Dream Theater wins it anyway. That is a big deal for prog metal.

Dream Theater likely won't win. It'll probably go to one of the more mainstream bands.

Also, I wasn't aware the Sum41 was hard rock or metal. I thought they were more rock/punk? Seriously. Someone explain to me (using bright colors and pictures of animals) why they are in this category, because I'm confused.

Dream Theater likely won't win. It'll probably go to one of the more mainstream bands.

Also, I wasn't aware the Sum41 was hard rock or metal. I thought they were more rock/punk? Seriously. Someone explain to me (using bright colors and pictures of animals) why they are in this category, because I'm confused.

Your guess is as good as mine. I know that their lead guitarist was into metal and he quit to form a metal band, but not sure what happened. Was always into Blink over Sum 41 by a longshot.