Eddie Jobson - The Ultimate Zero Tour Live

Feb 12, 2009
I'm on the fence on this one. I heard the sound wasn't great, and it is pretty expensive for a "greatest hits" compilation. For those that bought it, convince me one way or the other.

I was 50/50 on getting this?????:confused::confused::erk::erk:

I was thinking of getting the "" Mean Deviation "" book.......?? anyone get this yet....?

...NOT a professional recording. This was most likely recorded with DAT recorder on stage, behind the stage or somewhere in the vicinity.

It is a live CD by the way, not a studio best of. The best of moniker comes in because Eddie took the "best of" the live tour, which is not unlike most bands that put out live albums.

Nevertheless, it is pricey for a bootleg. And that is where the deception comes in. They (not you Ken) but the record label or Eddie himself should have billed this as an official bootleg. There is nothing in the notes regarding how it was recorded.

I will say this though...I did get accustomed to the sound after having it play a few songs in...my ears adjusted and it was "ok." It is definitely better the louder it gets. At a higher volume you actually feel like you are at the concert...there is A LOT of ambiance...too much? Perhaps. This recording, even in it's current state would have been better with a better drum sound. I'm assuming the drums were the farthest from the recording device.

This is NOT an annoying audience recording from the crowd, where you have yellers and such. But it was NOT taken from a SB source and is not a multitrack recording. Shame because as I stated, the performances are awesome and the track list it great.

Bottom line: I love the setlist and the performances; but the sound is that of a good bootleg DAT recording from the stage. It's raw and no doubt, it's live!

...NOT a professional recording. This was most likely recorded with DAT recorder on stage, behind the stage or somewhere in the vicinity.

It is a live CD by the way, not a studio best of. The best of moniker comes in because Eddie took the "best of" the live tour, which is not unlike most bands that put out live albums.

Nevertheless, it is pricey for a bootleg. And that is where the deception comes in. They (not you Ken) but the record label or Eddie himself should have billed this as an official bootleg. There is nothing in the notes regarding how it was recorded.

I will say this though...I did get accustomed to the sound after having it play a few songs in...my ears adjusted and it was "ok." It is definitely better the louder it gets. At a higher volume you actually feel like you are at the concert...there is A LOT of ambiance...too much? Perhaps. This recording, even in it's current state would have been better with a better drum sound. I'm assuming the drums were the farthest from the recording device.

This is NOT an annoying audience recording from the crowd, where you have yellers and such. But it was NOT taken from a SB source and is not a multitrack recording. Shame because as I stated, the performances are awesome and the track list it great.

Bottom line: I love the setlist and the performances; but the sound is that of a good bootleg DAT recording from the stage. It's raw and no doubt, it's live!

Wow, that explains a lot.... now im 60/40:eek:

Bob - you might have a problem with the Mean Deviation book. Jeff uses some big words. :heh:

Ill be reading the book not writing it.............:rolleyes::D
Does it come in a large print addition, Im old.... like my Readers digest subscription....

I agree, great setlist! Now buy it Bob!!! (I did) :headbang:

I was 50/50 on getting this?????:confused::confused::erk::erk:

I was thinking of getting the "" Mean Deviation "" book.......?? anyone get this yet....?

I will leave you to decide on the Jobson, but I HIGHLY recommend Jeff's book.Anyone who even has a passing interest in progressive metal should read it. It covers how the bands were influenced by the likes of Crimson and Rush and also covers some of the more popular and more obscure bands in the genre. I could go on and on but I want to keep it short.

DJ's locker will back me up on this I'm sure...since he has discovered a lot of great "new" bands thanks to the book.

The only downside would be the frequent mentions of Ken...like his ego needed to get any bigger. :loco:

Seriously though...to quote the self proclaimed guru...it is a buy or die. :lol:

I 100% agree with this comments. I was a bit disappointed when I heard it for the first time. I felt ripped off. Got it through EJ's website some 3 weeks ago or more I think. But the songs are good though.

[QUOTE=DJ's locker will back me up on this I'm sure...since he has discovered a lot of great "new" bands thanks to the book.

I back you 100%!...A fantastic read and a plethora of bands....Buy it....:devil: