Ensiferum - From Afar

Iced Dog

The Stormrider's Pooch
Sep 29, 2003
Grand Rapids, MI
www.facebook.com
OK Ensiferum fans, give me your thoughts on the new release. For me, From Afar is by far the best Petri Lindroos era release, and 2nd overall only to Iron...damn I love this album. More symphonic touches, which makes for a more epic sound, better vocals and choirs, and great melodies. Also, the cool breakdowns, such as the female vocal part in Twilight Tavern, and the spaghetti western-esque middle section in Stone Cold Metal (they actually thanked Ennio Morricone in the booklet :)), even a banjo solo that rips right into an electric solo. Here's the video for the title cut...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really liking it. Stone Cold Metal is the weirdest song they have done, but in a good way. The piano, whistling and banjo parts are out there, but now that I have heard it 7 or 8 times, it works. It took me a few listens to the entire album to get it, but I finally did. I agree that From Afar is the best Petri release, and yeah, probably second overall to Iron. They have taken a step forward with this album.

Great record! I've been listening to it off and on since the fest. The last track is just amazing - the first time I heard the ending, I had to re-play the whole song another 3 or 4 times.

Wow! You guys like it more than Victory Songs? Victory may be my second favorite only behind the S/T debut.

Can't wait to hear this... but I had to get the Euro version. :p

I don't think I like it as much as Victory Songs, but I'll let it grow on me. There are moments of greatness to be found here and there, for sure.

I think its fantastic release! I only have the *cough* downloaded version right now, but am waiting on the t-shirt/album combo to show up.

It doesn't hit me as hard as Victory songs did, but it isn't far off. The title track, Twilight Tavern, and Stone Cold Metal were instant standouts, and i'm convinced that it gets better with every play. I know that the band got some flak after Jari's departure, but as far as i'm concerned, we got another Metallica/Megadeth scenario here where we now have 2 amazing bands both doing great and different things.

Good work chaps! (haha, as if they'll ever read this right? :) )