Epica + Kamelot: Detroit Report

Bryan316

METAL... nuff said!
Yeah.

Hell yeah.

CRAZYSHITFUCK YEAH!!

What a satisfying concert. People, catch this tour. Too damned good to miss. I wish I could join all you Chi-town hooligans tonight cuz it'd be worth it in every way. DO NOT SECOND-GUESS AND CHICKEN OUT! If you're in Chicago, fuckin GO to this show. If you don't go, you're banned from metal!

Of course, terrible brutal amateur "hardcore" bands opening, cuz Harpo's doesn't give a rat's ass about what bands they match up with what national acts. They turned the house lights on at the "Okay that's enough" point of the last opener's set. They... they SOUNDED like they were done.. shoulda been done, but no, we were wrong. Then they turned off the speakers, then the monitors, then the stage hand came out to turn off their shit.

Lesson learned: DO NOT exceed your allotted stage time.

logo_epica.jpg

They came out and we had a pretty good spot on the rail to watch them. We gave up that spot after only two songs and ran down to the front row! AWWW DAMN is Simone too hot up close. I can't get that close to her again, I'll end up in prison for kidnapping! Steal her away like Elian Gonzales. The guys put on pretty much the same setlist as at Prog Power 7 and just unhinged themselves. Which is suprising, cuz Harpo's was NOT packed. It was maybe 300-400 people. But they were a VERY DEDICATED 300-400 FANS! Everyone was going crazy and just going wild. Excellent kinda crowd. A few of the warmup bands started a pretty wimpy mosh pit behind us. Now, I know that Simone is hot. You all know that Simone is hot. But the robotic spotlights were shining right in our faces and she was captured in a burning halo like a solar eclipse! FIRE WOMAN!!! I think I finally figured out how she does that figure-8 headbanging. I'ma see if I can get that down. At home. In the basement. With the lights off. So I can't embarrass myself. HAH! Of course they played Crystal Mountain and one dude at the very front pretty much unhinged his neck. That poor guy must be so damned sore today. I know I am! I enjoyed their performance in Atlanta. But now I think I'm definitely 100% converted to the cause. Time to spend money!

And in case anyone's interested, I found these interviews:

Video Interviews with Mark and Simone on Face Culture

kamelot%20logo.jpg

Never really thought I'd get to see the likes of Kamelot in Detroit. Hell, they don't even play shows in Florida. And after seeing them at PP5 and Conception last year at PP6, I am still totally floored by Khan's vocal ability. The most passionate and emotional singer out there. He had one woman in tears. IN TEARS! She couldn't help it! She told him so after the show by the bus! He was a little suprised by that in a good way. That means he's doing his job right! I thought about how they got the bill at a huge venue like Harpo's, when the crowd really was a size suitable for the I-Rock down the road. And I thought about the difference in the stage sizes. It woulda been a travesty to squeeze them onto that small a stage! Thomas Youngblood was running around like crazy. Wild horses need wide green pastures to roam free! Totally energized band, crowd, performance and interaction. Casey Grillo had his drum solo of course, and I still think that boy is one of the most well-rounded, consistent, perfectly balanced power metal drummers. Everything he does fits the song perfectly. But that drum solo was NUTZ. Very original things in there and some unexpected sounds. Good to hear a challenging drum solo, not a standardized rock n roll boring average whooptydoo whatever drum solo. But what happened to Glenn Barry? When the hell did they lose him on bass? I didn't have any idea he was gone! WTF!!! I wanted to talk to his wife again cuz she's from the Detroit area and we talked about it at PP5. Damned shame. But I was pleasantly suprised by their new bass player, cuz he was as juiced up and wild on stage at Thomas was. I'll have to do some research now. No night can be truly perfect, because they didn't play a single song from before Karma, which means my favorite album got snubbed. I was blowing my voice out yelling "FOURTH FUCKIN LEGACY!!!" at them, to no avail. But they certainly played all the great stuff from Karma Epica and Black Halo... as if there's any less-than-great stuff on those albums! What was I thinking? But then I totally forgot anything about th 4th Legacy cuz SIMONE CAME OUT TO SING WITH KHAN! HAWT!! I think those two should do a whole damned album together. A side project all their own, with equal importance put on both their vocal parts. It would be devastating and heartbreaking. It would end war and poverty. It would make Glenn dedicate one whole night of ProgPower for them. HINT HINT!!!

Hung out at the bus, thanked Khan for braving the trek to Detroit's most notorious stage, got a dark crappy cellphone picture with him, met two really cool kids in the parking lot who gave us each a slice of fresh pizza, yakked about metal with them for a long while, and went home 100% satisfied. I just saw Dragonforce in the same venue a week ago, and that show was shadowed in comparison. This was as perfect a power metal show as I coulda hoped for here in my home town. Only the likes of Blind Guardian could get me more geeked. Oh, well would ya look at that? Why... they'll be on that very same stage in November!

METAL GODS BE PRAISED!!!

Sounds pretty much the same as the Poughkeepsie show - they kicked ass and were very cool and cordial afterwards! :)
Glenn (as stated on their site) is only playing maybe some shows, since he has the upcoming birth of his child...

also relieved. But that show was orgasmic. I couldn't believe how good it was - I liked it more than them at PPV. My neck has been hurting all day from the headbanging. The performance was double what my expectations were. Unbelievable.

We were at the show last night, and it was TOTALLY awesome! We got there about 5 minutes before Epica came on. Nice of the venue to tell us over the phone (on 2 separate phone calls) that they would be starting at 9 and then they actually started at 8:45. They are just lucky we didn't miss anything or they would have heard about it!

Anyway, the turnout was very dissapointing, but most of the people there seemed to be into it pretty good. Epica was simply awesome. Got the setlist posted below and a few autographs, including Kahn's! We talked with Mark at the merch table for about 10 minutes before Kamelot started.

Kamelot was SO good - the sound was good, and Kahn really knows how to perform up there! Talked to Kahn for a minute out by the tourbus afterwards (I am the one mentioned above who told Kahn I was in tears - I really was, like 4 times, cuz it was just so moving the way he sings with so much emotion!). This may have been the best concert ever for me. I just can't understand why there aren't more people showing up to these shows. We drove 1 1/2 hours to get there.

Bryan316 - you shoulda wore you ProgPower shirt and we coulda talked!

2006EpicaHarposSetlist.jpg

My only experience with Harpos was the worst you could get but I keep hearing a million good things about the place. What I remember the most that night we were there was the White Castle and its fifteen hundred square feet of bullet proof glass. Actually haha its been a year exactly since I've been there. It IS a nice looking place though bet its cool when packed.

Harpos sold out is the last place I want to be. The place blows, really. It's just that you have to go there because that's where all the metal tours go. It's also very close to where I live (I got there and back home on half of a Conception CD last night).

Although I wouldn't like a sold out Harpos, I DO like a sizeable crowd. Sadly, this was one of the emptiest I have ever seen Harpos for a show. The deadest it ever was that I've seen was Symphony X in 2003, when Harpos actually made the band cut it short because nobody was there. Satyricon in 2004 and Therion last year were pretty sparse too. Also pretty empty was Lacuna Coil in late 2003. I was happy to see Sonata Arctica bring out a big crowd this year.

Leather jacket/Nightwish shirt guy hasn't been to a show there in a while. I never talked to him, but I used to see him all the time and he was always wearing a Wishmaster Tshirt and and a leather jacket over it. Wonder if he moved out of state or something. Heh, I decided that "you know you're a regular show-goer when you start recognizing people at shows that you don't actually know otherwise."

ConnieOH said:
We were at the show last night, and it was TOTALLY awesome! We got there about 5 minutes before Epica came on. Nice of the venue to tell us over the phone (on 2 separate phone calls) that they would be starting at 9 and then they actually started at 8:45. They are just lucky we didn't miss anything or they would have heard about it!

Anyway, the turnout was very dissapointing, but most of the people there seemed to be into it pretty good. Epica was simply awesome. Got the setlist posted below and a few autographs, including Kahn's! We talked with Mark at the merch table for about 10 minutes before Kamelot started.

Kamelot was SO good - the sound was good, and Kahn really knows how to perform up there! Talked to Kahn for a minute out by the tourbus afterwards (I am the one mentioned above who told Kahn I was in tears - I really was, like 4 times, cuz it was just so moving the way he sings with so much emotion!). This may have been the best concert ever for me. I just can't understand why there aren't more people showing up to these shows. We drove 1 1/2 hours to get there.

Bryan316 - you shoulda wore you ProgPower shirt and we coulda talked!

WELL DAMNIT! Jeremy was wearing his PP5 shirt! I was wearing my Avantasia shirt cuz it's longsleeved and that was a chilly night. SHIT. From now on, I'm just wearing my SLAYER GUY shirt so everyone can recognise me!

And girl, you were ready to just jump on Kahn and manhandle him! I saw that gleam in yer eye! :lol:

A comment about the Death cover... those guys are HUGE Death fans. And they wanna get the whole crowd into their show, not just the chicks who wanna see Simone and the guys drooling over her. They wanna get the guys who know their metal, and entertain them too. It's a chance to let Mark get evil as hell, pay their homage, and let the old school metalheads have a treat. I'm totally cool with it. Plus, it lets Simone get a drink, dry off the sweat, and get ready for a 10 minute closing song. So even though it seems weird for a band as powerful as Epica to do a cover song, it's just as METAL as seeing Mercenary bust out a little Dimebag love!!!

Daybreaker said:
My only experience with Harpos was the worst you could get but I keep hearing a million good things about the place. What I remember the most that night we were there was the White Castle and its fifteen hundred square feet of bullet proof glass. Actually haha its been a year exactly since I've been there. It IS a nice looking place though bet its cool when packed.

Here's the thing about Harpo's. It's still the same filthy nasty shithole, with the same flooding bathrooms. It's still the same crazy pit floor and the same PA system that never sounds good until the last band. It's still got the worst view ever no matter where you stand, except on the bottom floor with your back against the wall so you actually have an angle to see the drummers.

But you will ALWAYS get the most dedicated, most FUCKIN METAL audience there. And they've got seven full-time security guys walking the parking lots and watching the line. And they've got a metal detector at the door and they make you empty your pockets into the tubs where they look at what you're bringing in. Yes, Harpo's still screws the opening bands and let any shitty band with enough money and/or friends play there instead of bands who don't suck and fit the style of music each night... but they've improved a lot from the concert-goer's point of view. It's a ot safer now.

Bathrooms are still disease-stricken cesspools, though... don't fuck any drunken whores in there.

TychoCelchu said:
Harpos sold out is the last place I want to be. The place blows, really. It's just that you have to go there because that's where all the metal tours go. It's also very close to where I live (I got there and back home on half of a Conception CD last night).

Although I wouldn't like a sold out Harpos, I DO like a sizeable crowd. Sadly, this was one of the emptiest I have ever seen Harpos for a show. The deadest it ever was that I've seen was Symphony X in 2003, when Harpos actually made the band cut it short because nobody was there. Satyricon in 2004 and Therion last year were pretty sparse too. Also pretty empty was Lacuna Coil in late 2003. I was happy to see Sonata Arctica bring out a big crowd this year.

Leather jacket/Nightwish shirt guy hasn't been to a show there in a while. I never talked to him, but I used to see him all the time and he was always wearing a Wishmaster Tshirt and and a leather jacket over it. Wonder if he moved out of state or something. Heh, I decided that "you know you're a regular show-goer when you start recognizing people at shows that you don't actually know otherwise."

That SymX show was SAD. It was great to see them and I was thrashing out like crazy, but it felt really weird to not have anyone even within ten feet of me. But as Russell told me, they had two weeks preparation and hardly any promotional help before that tour started. It was dry for them at every stop. Oh well. At least they came here! I missed out on the Therion show, cuz we were playing the I-Rock that night. We didn't even fuckin know!!!

Bryan316 said:
That SymX show was SAD. It was great to see them and I was thrashing out like crazy, but it felt really weird to not have anyone even within ten feet of me. But as Russell told me, they had two weeks preparation and hardly any promotional help before that tour started. It was dry for them at every stop. Oh well. At least they came here! I missed out on the Therion show, cuz we were playing the I-Rock that night. We didn't even fuckin know!!!

Yeah, if you'd have known maybe you could've had the shows merged. I remember being dimly aware of another show down the street that night but I was really hyped about Therion because it was right after they'd made that announcement about never headlining in the US again.

But I do think there's a good spot in Harpos' - right on the rail on that first level. I try to be there for most shows and if I can, it's a perfect view of both the whole stage and the pit below (when there is one).

To deliberately add fuel to the fire, I'd like to break my posting cherry by copy/pasting a review I made over the weekend regarding the Epica/Kamelot concert. I had intended to include a review of the Kamelot portion, but I see that many others have already done this indeed. So following is a review of the Epica portion of the show . . . :worship:
----------------------------------------------

Do not regret that it is over; only rejoice that it happened . . .

This morning I dropped my boy off at the bowling alley, and then sat to write reflections of last night. Warning: long emo diatribe follows. Feel free to play the respective tracks at full volume at appropriate times while reading.

We left our sleepy village and headed for the “big” city of Detroit. On the way we jammed to Phantom Agony, Consign to Oblivion and Black Halo, and pondered what the turnout would be like. We arrived at Harpo’s - seemingly early - after an hour and 45 minute drive from our home west of Toledo – early enough, we thought, to check out the merch and get a spot in front of the stage for Epica. I got off at good ol’ exit 22A and turned left. Coming around I noticed Epica absent from the marquee. As we pulled around to the back of Harpo’s I saw Kamelot’s “Grey Ghost”, but I noted to Con that the red bus wasn’t anywhere to be seen. A sense of anxiety came over me. I double-checked the tickets – yes they’re supposed to be here. Con said, “would you just settle down”, so I turned off the truck and pulled out the bottle of Jack Daniels and took a few sips (well maybe more than a few).

“No cameras of any kind”, were the words that sent me back to the truck. As we walked back in, Hunab K’u was playing. They started at 8:45! Of course when I called, they said 9pm and they also said no restrictions on cameras. Jeers to you, Harpo's. We rushed in to find the place noticeably not well attended, but then Harpo’s does have a decent size stage and can admit up to 800 or so. People, this is Detroit Rock City. Hellooo. Oh well, perhaps because Dragonfarce was here last week and Tool was at the Palace, but never mind all that. Screw it. This is Epica and Kamelot we’re talkin’ about here. I marveled to my wife that it was like our own private concert. The stage at Harpo’s is about 2 meters tall in front of the old orchestra pit – a veritable fortress. Hence no need for a barrier of any kind. In fact it’s a torment; you either get right up to the stage to cheer the band or step a meter or more away so that you can actually see them. They seriously need to bulldoze Harpo’s for god’s (or gods’ - depending on your persuasion) sake, and create a real life, honest to goodness live venue for Detroit and surrounding area. And put it in a better neighborhood. I think the same flooring is on the floor when I first went there in 1983. I only hope that Epica took it all in stride to realize we fans love you, warts and all. But I digress.

We took up a position stage right (cuz Mark was on that side in Atlanta at Progpower USA). And then they came out. I was expecting Mother of Light. Suddenly Coen started pounding out the distinctive chords of Dance of Fate. WOOT a changeup in the setlist posted earlier in the forum. What a treat! “Now I want the water . . . to wash . . . away all my sins . . .” How do you prepare yourself for the experience of witnessing - first-hand and up close - such a creature of unimaginable beauty and grace while singing such elusive words, such sweeping grandeur? Fortunately the blinding yellow light in my face, and Jeroen and Coen’s incessant rhythms and lofty atmospherics provided the antidote to Simone’s trance inducing presence, and I rocked on. \mm/ Jeroen pounded with authority while Mark and the boys danced their own dance across the frets. “We should open new doors And close the ones that we’ve left behind . . . ” I realized I was in the presence of greatness. Dance of Fate never sounded so good! The crowd became more and more into the music and approached the stage. God it was impossibly high to reach. Still we all threw our horns upward to the heavens where the beautiful and powerful sounds emanated. What a great opener for a concert!!

Next I was expecting Mother of Light, but then Simone announced that the next song is Sensorium, and I’m like “ok . .” and so then from there gave up trying to remember what the set list order would be. “Chance doesn’t exist, but the path of life is not totally so predestined and . . .” with the swirling synth licks rising every higher. Oh man, when Jeroen kicks in with those double bass and cymbals “Being conscious is a torment. The more we learn is the less we get . . .” Indescribably tight. Yves comes over and the whole side of the crowd is climbing over themselves to throw him horns. I growl along with Mark, “I’m not afraid to die, I’m afraid to be alive without being aware of it.” But of course I was at least a meter below his feet and so who knows whether he knew that he had backup vocals. Every time I say those words I think of my own grandfather having had Alzheimer’s. “Our future has . . . already been . . written by us alone . . . but we don’t grasp . . . the meaning of . . “ and on and on. How can it get any better? They are so tight. Did I already say that? The words so ponderous and yet meaningful. This is how music was meant to be, how it was meant to be performed. Con said to me, “She could stand to have her mic turned up”. I remember thinking that we all have a different experience and mine was a small impression of the whole from my lowly vantage point.

At this point the crowd was fully taken in by the spectacle that is Epica, and ready for the next number, “Quietus” – my youngest boy’s favorite song (please play it again, right from the beginning, Dad), and yes Mark did not disappoint with his growls “The culprit, you act without thinking, caught in your ignorant sin . .” to my backup vocals. Oh man! Such aggression! Such expression! “Deprived . . . of my own innocence . . . deniiieed”; such beauty! Such presence! Such liquid warmth and coolness emanating from those pipes. Impossible! Indescribable! “Your regret has spread over the sea” I think I could chant Hey! . . . hey! . . . hey!, while throwing horns until my voice failed me. And all those around as well.

Then the snares started the slow march at the beginning of “Cry for the Moon” along with Simone’s soaring accompaniment. “Follow your common sense, you cannot hide yourself . . ”, and once again I became mesmerized. It was like this all night, a dichotomy of mesmerization then awakening, appreciating then headbanging, horn-throwing, growling backup vocals. A total holistic experience of all the senses. The swirling synths again, the double bass drums, the chorus emanations! Frickin’Awesome. How does she do that figure-eight headbang anyway!? “Don’t try . . . to convince me . . . with messages from God . . .” and I felt the anger rise in me, knowing the meaning of the song. “Eternal silence cries out for justice . . . “ The song is an anthem godammit, but aren’t they nearly all? “Virginity has been stolen at very young ages and the extinguisher LOSES IT’S IMMUNITY . . .”. How many times could I play this song and never get tired of it. The yin of Simone’s majestic vocals drawing one in “Eeee ternal silence . . .cries out for justice . . .” then the release of the chorus, followed by the yang of Mark’s expressive guttural damnation of all that is unjust!! Played to perfection by this tight ensemble hailing from a foreign land of 4,000 miles before my very eyes! Am I really experiencing this?

Simone exits stage right, and Mark speaks to the crowd. What a connection he commands. While he plays, he’s godlike in stage presence, but when he speaks he’s like I’m talking to my next-door neighbor about the leaf pickup schedule. I think I lost it when he announced the next song was SEIF . . . AL . . . DIN (yes backup vocals even in the announcing of the songs). Epica’s rendition of this song last night had to be tighter than that of the CD or the DVD. it was a pure asskicking, take no prisoner, we fucking came here to rock and that’s just what we’re doing right now. Mark if you’re reading this, your growling and guitar riffing was awe-inspiring. “Vilified demons have been embraced, and given a warm . . . warm welcome!!” And Jeroen when you broke it down between stanzas – startlingly tight and commanding. At some point I suffered a mild case of whiplash from the frenzied headbanging and pure energy coming from the stage, and into my orifices. Simone performed the voice-accompanied aria with pure emotion and tonal perfection, and I’m sure I wasn’t just mesmerized again! Then the rhythm changes, and Mark growls with pure anger and emotion. The experience during this song was similar throughout the entire setlist: So good, so tight, so sweeping in majesty. I was a headbanging, hornthrowing sponge. You know how during the moments just before you crash in a car, time slows down and your senses intensify and you capture each moment discreetly. It was like this. And I swear I was drug-free. I knew this was my last of 2 chances to see Epica in a very long time, not like the lucky bastards in Europe. I was determined to fully take it all in. “Perpetual distrust fed by a belief in the malevolence OF THE OTHERS!” Even now I cannot understand where the genius of the lyrics of this group comes from. But it’s there for all to see and hear. Unreal. Did I mention I think the lyrics are pure genius? “When the beautiful unreality holds out its hand, its better not to lose yourself in blind faith . . .” The entire band is headbanging and into their music and the crowd is headbanging and throwing horns. Aww damn why does the song have to end?!

Then the synchopated rhythms and manic violins kick off Façade of Reality and the true tightness and expertise and professionalism comes into acute focus. The hands fly across the frets and in unison in a spectacle of virtuosity. First the yin, “People created religious inventions, to give their lives a glimmer of hope . . . ” Simone invokes strongly. Oh yeah! So true! I’m with you. Then the yang “Our desire to die is stronger than all your desire for life . . .”we growl together. And Yves and Ad are fully on display here in their mastery. . .
May I say that, when I hear the words of Tony Blair I think of the wasted goodwill of the world towards us and how we must come to the realization that we are one world. “It doesn’t matter where we die . . “ But my revery during another pitch perfect aria is interrupted when Jeroen resumes maniacally bashing out the complex synchopated rhythms, leading the band and crowd to headbanging once again. Careful Coen, don’t get another knot on your forehead! “Aaaaa disgrace . . . . on the . . beyond!” “Decieve yourself . . . by yielding to soft words . . . that cause no pain”. The connection with the crowd is complete and we are all moved by the performance, brought to a climax when Mark beseeches to us, “Is there still room for new dents in old wrecks?” . . . And before I know it Simone bespeaks those Latin words for the mysterious statement that My blood not yet will be drunk by you. It’s amazing how well she can belt out the Latin as though it is her first language. So convincing, so real.

Now spent, but ready for the next round in this onslaught of musical pummeling, I begin to jam to “Crystal Mountain”, though I had never heard of Chuck Schuldiner before Epica introduced this cover in Atlanta a scant 2 weeks ago. That’s right I’m a death metal poseur, but having seen the live performance of the song since then on Youtube by Death, I was prepared to again take in Epica’s version, and they did not disappoint, though I could have easily enjoyed another Epica original; conspicuously missing was Solitary Ground from the set. Ad masterfully handles his Gibson with skill and ease. How does he make it look so easy?! “Inside Crystal Mountain, Evil takes its form . . . “ Thanks to Mark for opening new avenues in my musical discovery.

As the cellos bemoan their distinctive melody to open Consign to Oblivion, it is with sadness that I recognize that my short interlude with these Dutch Gods and Goddesses of Symphonic Metal is soon to end (ok maybe Gods and Goddesses is a little strong). And so I bang my head along with them, and throw my horns and accompany Mark with all the energy I have left, “The only thing that counts is the prosperity of the day . . . Most important to us is that our bills get paid AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH”. I think back to the drive up to Harpo’s, heady with anticipation of the evening, jamming to our own little “concert psychup” playing this very song at 80 mph, coming over the hill on I-75 and seeing the Ambassador Bridge to Canada and the lights of the Detroit downtown skyline open before me like so many times before. “Try to unlearn all that you have learnt, try to listen to your heart . . “Simone implores. I think back to pulling up to seeing the back of Harpo’s devoid of the red tourbus, momentary disappointment coming over me. “Low, Low, Low to the ground we feel safe . . .” Simone undulating and the crowd punching the sky with their fists, Mark exclaims his meaningful statements in rapid fire succession, like a verbal jackhammer driving the point home, and the tempo changes again, and again, and they take it all in stride like dervishes of Metal Perfection. It is a tour de force of musical virtuosity and they play on, drawing the crowd to great heights. “Open your eyes, we’re not in paradise . .” but Mark this is paradise for a scant moment. The lights are pulsing, the hands are running with malevolent mastery over their instruments, marching to the end of the song, the crowd vibrates in sympathetic unison from the energy poured out without reserve. “The only thing that matters is Our way, Our vision . . .” then “Better, faster, We must return to the laws of the nature, Free ourselves from Madness!” . . . and the crowd is out of their minds. As am I and Con. Oh, just one encore . . . But alas. The lights dim, the stagehands begin there busywork and I notice those around me stunned and fulfilled. It was just that – stunning and fulfilling. Beyond which these volumes of words could belie. I have no idea how the music affects me so deeply, but seeing it performed as it was Friday night was far and away beyond any of my expectations.

As I turn back to the stage, the setlist is wafting down and Con has her hands reaching up. She has it! We are the proprietors of the coveted set list (see above post). And so we must do what any proprietors of a set list must do – get autographs!! As we stand gazing at it, others beg us to yield it “For their kid . .” ah, but we are all “Selfishly venomous”, but I do the lyrics injustice by taking them out of context.

As I said, talking to Mark is like talking to my neighbor about leaf pickup. How can this ordinary seeming man contain such awesome musical talent?!? And Yves, you being also left-handed as I, I have always dreamt of playing bass guitar. Take note that you are living one of my dreams. Live it large man!! You ROCK!

Thank you, thank you, thank you Epica for coming to Detroit Rock City. Thank you for enduring the weeks and months away from all you know and love to bring your special vision to us. Thank you for pouring out your hearts and minds and souls, for melting the fucking paint off the walls, for reaching far below your feet to make contact with your fans regardless of the size of the crowd, for making music that is so endearing, so powerful yet elusive and alluring, for showing a passion that is the HEART OF METAL and giving hope to my dream of a great metal revival in this nation of corporate radio and MTV. It is such an old cliché, but it was truly, truly, a night to remember.

Monday morning I will drive to my job and attend my production meeting, while you will be flying or driving to Colorado a thousand miles away but somehow a part of me will go with you while I discuss if the rubber seal will work better than the polyurethane seal. Then I will return to my office and open Winamp to a certain playlist, heh!

ROCK ON EPICA!!!! \mm/ ^___^ \mm/

Wow man that was beautiful *sniff* Jerry you rock. :headbang: I thought Epica was great in Atlanta. I will be attending this show in a couple weeks in LA. Now I'm excited all over again :)

Dear lord!!!!!
All Glenn has to do is book a band on Prog Power and you all are the biggest fanboys and girls in the world........

The band brought some of you to tears?

Is this metal or emo?

Jasonic said:
Dear lord!!!!!
All Glenn has to do is book a band on Prog Power and you all are the biggest fanboys and girls in the world........

The band brought some of you to tears?

Is this metal or emo?

Please note the disclaimer at the header of the post "Warning: long emo diatribe follows."

It was not intended as a "critical" review. I suppose I should have just kept it to myself, since it wasn't "metal".

Epica took the 3rd band that ive ever called a part of my "favorite bands".
iron maiden
blind guardian
epica

and the rest are just bands i listen to. epica, fuckin brilliance. i went up to NY from philly to see them, fuckin orgasmic, as was their show at PP.

now editing this, id also like to point out how fantastic epica's 2nd album is, especially compared to the 1st...not that the 1st is at all lacking. most bands, from what i hear and am told, spend there whole lives writing and put all that on the 1st album. then they have about a year to write another. generally, in my opinion, the 2nd albums arent usually quite as strong. not the case, epica fuckin owns your soul.

MetalJerry said:
Please note the disclaimer at the header of the post "Warning: long emo diatribe follows."

It was not intended as a "critical" review. I suppose I should have just kept it to myself, since it wasn't "metal".

It was total sarcasm my friend... :)

OK - this will be a short one - coz I got in at 1am and had to get ready for work at 5. Didnt sleep much - coz the show was a good one :) The Bluebird Theatre in Denver is a smaller place - holds maybe 400? I dont know for sure - it was pretty full, and the crowd was very appreciative - a lot of people there for Kamelot - but I think Epica made quite a few new converts out of those who hadn't heard them before.
No local bands opened (Yves said there was supposed to be - but apparnelty they didntm ake it) so we got an extra song or so out of Epica - dont ask me which one - I cant think straight right now :) The band was tight - really kicking butt.

Kamelot - well first time seeing them - great show - Khan was Khan - the rest of the band was really sounding good.

In talking with the Epica guys - they had 5 more shows - said they're having a good time over here - will take a couple of (well deserved) weeks off on getting home and then it's right back to the studio. I forgot to ask if the music for new stuff is already written or it they are one of those bands that goes into a studio to write (never understood taht myself)..

Must get coffee- prop myself up at my desk. If you're on the west coast - and u get a chance to see this show - don't miss it - seeing thesse bands in a small intimate environment is a helluva treat.

jeff