Fans of the Saturday Night Line up / Help

FatesFan

Dec 18, 2004
I am on the fence about going this year even though I do have my Gold Badges secured. The main reason is the Saturday line up. I am not saying it's bad, it's just unfamiliar to me. However, the exclusive SW show on Saturday has helped Saturday a lot for me. So, help me get the most out of the Saturday Line up.

What is the strongest CD/s by all bands on the Saturday card?

Thanks in advance for the input. :kickass:

You do realise you're going to get different responses on what constitutes "the strongest release" from each band, right? That said:

The best I can give you is HF suggestions, since I am a bit of an HF fangirl.

Personally, I think the best HammerFall albums are the first four albums - Glory to the Brave, Legacy of Kings, Renegade, and Crimson Thunder. My favorites are the first two, though I really dig all four. Chapter V is decent, and Threshold can just be overlooked, IMO. It is my least favorite HF release. I think they moved a step in the right direction with the new album, No Sacrifice, No Victory, but I'd like to see them return to their earlier sound, preferrably in the vein of Legacy of Kings.
So from a personal standpoint, I'd say to start off with the first two albums when it comes to HammerFall.

TAROT - really any album but my favorites are "Stigmata" "Suffer Our Pleasures" "Crows fly Black"

Plus they will just be fun to see live.

You do realise you're going to get different responses on what constitutes "the strongest release" from each band, right? .

Yeah, I get that. But, let's say I asked for the strongest Queensryche release, I am sure no one would say Q2K. In other words, some bands have those cd's that just are not strong and everyone familiar with said band knows it. Just saying.....................

Thanks for the HF info......................

I'm not going to tell you these are the best discs by each band. What I will tell you is that they are the best discs to introduce you to the band before you explore the rest of their respective discographies.

Paradox- Heresy (classic old school thrash, all Metalllica fans are required to hear this)
Oceans of Sadness- The Arrogance of Ignorance (this is a progressive masterpiece)
DGM- Frame (new vocalist)
Delain- April Rain (hooks galore)
Tarot- Crows Fly Black (CRUNCH)
Hammerfall- No Sacrifice, No Victory (Catchy as hell as compared to the early Euro gallop)

Paradox- Heresy (classic old school thrash, all Metalllica fans are required to hear this)

Glenn i am COUNTING ON YOU to make sure they are playing some SERIOUS amounts of classic material when they come over. i don't care much for the new stuff, not saying it's bad, but it doesn't touch the first two albums!

make it so #1!!
:)

when they do, ME AND YOU in the first ever PP circle pit during intro to "Heresy" we have all seen you crowd surf. now it's time to see you whip up the circle pit!!
:headbang:

Hammerfall - Crimson thunder (it has to be their best album overall. they were 4 albums into their career and had really found the perfect sound!. great ballads, and great power! i suggest tracks like the unforgiving blade and on the edge of honour)

Delain - Lucidity is my favorite. mainly because of all the guest vocals by marco (tarot, nightwish) but april rain rules too. if u like female fronted metal bands you will LOVE delain

DGM - Frame. one of the best singers in metal. nuff said

tarot - i personally like the old stuff like spell of iron, but SUFFER OUR PLEASURES! has to take the cake.

I'm not going to tell you these are the best discs by each band. What I will tell you is that they are the best discs to introduce you to the band before you explore the rest of their respective discographies.

Oceans of Sadness- The Arrogance of Ignorance (this is a progressive masterpiece)
Delain- April Rain (hooks galore)
Tarot- Crows Fly Black (CRUNCH)
Hammerfall- No Sacrifice, No Victory (Catchy as hell as compared to the early Euro gallop)

Take it from someone that didn't know much from the bands on Sat night (except Hammerfall), I bought most of the above releases and was blown away enough to now own all the Oceans of Sadness CDs, both Delain CDs, 4 Tarot CDs, and 5 of the DGM CDs. This has quickly become the day of the fest I'm mostly looking foward to.

I've got Frame and Different Shapes. It's strange how similar Mark Basile sounds to Titta Tani. I would dare say anyone who liked Frame will like Different Shapes just as much. I am hugely sold on DGM. I think they're going to be the surprise band of the weekend.

I am not a fan of prog metal at all, and DGM just blows me out of the water.

DGM had me hooked the first time I heard the take Heartache (GREAT SONG) I still have not heard their early stuff.

I am on the fence about going this year even though I do have my Gold Badges secured. The main reason is the Saturday line up. I am not saying it's bad, it's just unfamiliar to me. However, the exclusive SW show on Saturday has helped Saturday a lot for me. So, help me get the most out of the Saturday Line up.

The interesting thing about this comment is I'm in the same boat, except I've already done research on all these bands and have ended up loving them all. What I love most about progpower is Glenn seems to keep bringing more and more bands each year I've never heard of and in turn, am blown away by the bands playing. Also, knowing that the majority of these bands will probably never play in the US stateside is another thing that persuades me too.

I've got Frame and Different Shapes. It's strange how similar Mark Basile sounds to Titta Tani. I would dare say anyone who liked Frame will like Different Shapes just as much. I am hugely sold on DGM. I think they're going to be the surprise band of the weekend.

That album is also short-from prog. I think this is part of the reason a lot of people who aren't fond of prog like this album.

Hammerfall's best album is still their second-- "Legacy of Kings" for me. Why? Great songs, and Patrik Rafling throws down on drums. Why they didn't hold on to that guy is beyond me. That said, I do own everything the band has released, (even the singles) and believe this band will be regarded worldwide one day the way Maiden is regarded today.

That said, I do own everything the band has released, (even the singles) and believe this band will be regarded worldwide one day the way Maiden is regarded today.

...that's a bit of a stretch imo. With that said, I'm a pretty big HammerFall fan though. My first album of theirs was Renegade, which I still hold in high regard. :kickass:

~Brian~

You do realise you're going to get different responses on what constitutes "the strongest release" from each band, right? That said:

The best I can give you is HF suggestions, since I am a bit of an HF fangirl.

Personally, I think the best HammerFall albums are the first four albums - Glory to the Brave, Legacy of Kings, Renegade, and Crimson Thunder. My favorites are the first two, though I really dig all four. Chapter V is decent, and Threshold can just be overlooked, IMO. It is my least favorite HF release. I think they moved a step in the right direction with the new album, No Sacrifice, No Victory, but I'd like to see them return to their earlier sound, preferrably in the vein of Legacy of Kings.
So from a personal standpoint, I'd say to start off with the first two albums when it comes to HammerFall.
Totally agreed! HF will be the highlight of the festival for me this year! I am a major HF fanboy and own all their albums! LOK is easily their best CD! Their set should be in my PPUSA All-Time Top 5 List!:worship:

...that's a bit of a stretch imo. With that said, I'm a pretty big HammerFall fan though. My first album of theirs was Renegade, which I still hold in high regard. :kickass:

~Brian~

That was my first HF album, too. The drums are a bit tin-y in the mix, but overall the songs are engaging and catchy. Pretty standard HammerFall, actually. Incidentally, this was also the first time I'd ever heard anything like Power Metal before. I didn't even know Prog and Power metal existed prior to recieving this album from a (former) friend from Sweden.

I listened to HammerFall's Chapter V album over the weekend and I think it kicks all sorts of ass! I believe I'd recommend someone starting at this album.
Their latest effort is a bit hit or miss with me so far.

~Brian~

Been a big fan of Hammerfall for a while now. Got all their albums. I would definitely get the first 2 albums. Great start to their career. Their last album is very good. It seems more mature than their other efforts. The only album of theirs I did not like is Renegade. Thought the whole group sounded tired and worn down. Worst vocals by far by Cans. He seems disinterested in the material on that album. Crimson Thunder was a definite step up for me. Very catchy songs and the energy is back. It is the only album without hammer in one of the song titles. That is unfortunate. Chapter V and Threshold are good albums. I would just recommend the other 4 over them (Glory to the Brave, Legacy of Kings, Crimson Thunder, No Sacrifice, No Victory). I would also recommend Cans solo album "Beyond the Gates". An angry powerful album. Loved it.

Hmmm.
I like Different Shapes in general, but the one weak point on it for me is the singer. He's a decent singer who doesn't cross over into truly great. I get a sense throughout the album that he's straining and trying to hide that fact, that he's always "teettering on the edge" of losing his tones.

I have another album of theirs called Wings of Time, which has a pretty good vocal showing on it, but isn't quite as good of an album overall.