Favorite 2014 albums

dcowboys311

Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The year's halfway through and it's been great for music this year. I thought 2013 was the best year for Metal in a long time and 2014's not doing too shabby. Haven't been able to check out as much new stuff as I like since life's getting busy but I've still had time to hear a fair amount.

Metal stuff I like:
Behemoth - The Satanist
Black Magic - Wizard's Spell
Cauldron Black Ram - Stalagmire
Dark Fury - Synninghtwait
Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall
Diocletian - Gesundrian
Funereal Presence - The Archer Takes Aim
Heresiarch - Waelwulf EP
Hetrozertzen/Dodsengel split
High Spirits - You Are Here
Incantation - Dirges of Elyzium
Innsmouth - Consumed by Elder Sign
Kriegsmaschine - The Enemy of Man
Possession - Anneliese EP
Sacrificio - demo
Satan's Satyrs - Die Screaming
Skull Fist - Chasing the Dream
Teitanblood - Death
Violent Hammer - More Victims

Non-metal stuff I like (haven't checked out much at all here):
311 - Stereolithic
Bane - Don't Wait Up
Burzum - The Ways of Yore
King Dude - Fear
Wovenhand - Refractory Obdurate

Still need to check out the new Barbarian, Desecresy, Dread Sovereign, Howls of Ebb, Impetuous Ritual, Mayhem, Master's Hammer, Thantifaxath, and Triptykon. Everyone seems to be whacking their e-dick to the new Morbus Chron but I thought it was very boring and lame.

Edguy - Space Police
Gamma Ray - Empire of the Undead
Slough Feg - Digital Resistance
Skull Fist - Chasing The Dream
Sparta - Welcome to Hell
Battleaxe - heavy Metal Sanctuary
Dark Forest - The Awakening

So far:
It has been a monumental year for power metal.

Iron Savior - Rise of the Hero
Edguy - Space Police
Primal Fear - Delivering the Black
Vanden Plas - Chronicles of Immortals
Stormwarrior - Something about heathens or Thunder

It seems kind of early for this thread...

Noble Beast - Noble Beast
Demon Bitch - Death is Hanging...
Walpyrgus - demo

Nah. Favorite 2014 albums, not best of the year.

Anyways mine are:

Elvenking - The Pagan Manifesto
Brainstorm - Firesoul
Primal Fear - Delivering the Black
Noble Beast - Noble Beast
Behemoth - The Satanist
Edguy - Space Police

I have to say it has been a very good year for power metal. As for the other genres, not so much.

Haven't got a lot of 2014 releases, but from the ones I have, here are the ones that are my fav:

Medieval Steel - Dark Castle
Blackfinger - S/T (took a while, but grew on me)
Below - Across the Dark River
Crowbar - Symmetry in Black

Haven't got a lot of 2014 releases, but from the ones I have, here are the ones that are my fav:

Medieval Steel - Dark Castle

I do like this album but not enough to list it as a favorite. My biggest issue is the middle of the album. I do think it starts and ends strong though.

I have to say it has been a very good year for power metal. As for the other genres, not so much.

Going to have to disagree here...what albums let you down?

I forgot about the new Slough Feg. Haven't really given it a fair listen though.

There's also been a few cool comps/reissues, I suppose those count. False Prophet and Medieval spring to mind.

what albums let you down?

I know this won't be a popular statement with this crowd, but the new High Spirits. With last year's demo, there was more of an evolution of their core sound. I kind of found the full length to be just more of the same, but with even weaker production. I gave it a good 4 or 5 spins, but it is now on the shelf. Will pull it out again in a few months to revisit.

Going to have to disagree here...what albums let you down?

I forgot about the new Slough Feg. Haven't really given it a fair listen though.

There's also been a few cool comps/reissues, I suppose those count. False Prophet and Medieval spring to mind.

It's not that the other genres have bad albums, I just find most of the other genres of metal to have decent but not great albums. That said, I still am a few albums behind in terms of newer releases.

I know this won't be a popular statement with this crowd, but the new High Spirits. With last year's demo, there was more of an evolution of their core sound. I kind of found the full length to be just more of the same, but with even weaker production. I gave it a good 4 or 5 spins, but it is now on the shelf. Will pull it out again in a few months to revisit.

I honestly have yet to listen to it. I'll admit that I wasn't a fan of the ep last year at first but it grew on me.

Oh man, I love it. I was sorta hoping for him to go back to the Another Night sound after the EP and was disappointed with the first preview track that popped up, but after spinning the album two or three times, every song was constantly stuck in my head. Probably listened about 50x by now.

It's not that the other genres have bad albums, I just find most of the other genres of metal to have decent but not great albums. That said, I still am a few albums behind in terms of newer releases.

I think you'd probably dig the Black Magic album. Lots of early Slayer and a bit of Mercyful Fate sounding stuff going on.

Oh man, I love it. I was sorta hoping for him to go back to the Another Night sound after the EP and was disappointed with the first preview track that popped up, but after spinning the album two or three times, every song was constantly stuck in my head. Probably listened about 50x by now.

same here....the first few songs are weaker but after that it is top notch material. Listened to it a tons of times already.

I've heard albums by Slough Feg, Savage Messiah, Arkona, Pilgrim, Steel Prophet, Portrait, Below, Darkest Era and Crosswind so far. While I haven't hated everything I've heard, I haven't gone back to very much of it either. So far, Arkona is my favorite. Below is great but I need more time with it, Crosswind was a lot of fun and we'll see if it gets old fast. Slough Feg has a couple songs I really like.

Yeah, I know lots who like the High Spirits and that is great.
Didn't grab me by the balls like the first two demos did.

I was indifferent to Another Night.

I was really surprised by the 2013 Demo, as Chris was exploring some new territory while still retaining the core HS sound.

I am sure I will come back around to it.

Blood Farmers - Headless Eyes
Ogre- The Last Neanderthal
Innsmouth - Consumed by Elder Sign
Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall
Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence
Teitanblood - Death
Dread Sovereign - All Hell's Martyrs

Something like that probably. That Blood Farmers album is among the best doom I've heard since Revelation's latest.