Favorite albums of each year

in_my_time_of_disease

Whipping Post
May 29, 2006
Melbourne
So I decided to make a list of my favorite albums of each year and see how far back I could go. It started one day when I was home sick and took the day off work and started looking through my music. So I gradually did it up until 1975, until it literally got impossible. I mean anyone with common sense will know that the 70's dominate but fucking hell 74 and onwards is basically impossible to pick a favorite album. Here is the current to 75...

08- Esoteric- TMV (obviously so far)
07- Dso- Fas
06- Scott Walker- The Drift
05- Dso- Kenose
04- Dso- SMRC
03- Ulver- Svidd Neger
02- Opeth- Deliverence
01- Opeth- BWP
00- Ulver- Perdition City
99- Opeth- Still Life
98- Opeth- Mayh
97- Radiohead- Ok Computer
96- Tortoise- Millions Now Living Will Never Die
95- Ulver- Kveldssanger
94- Portishead- Dummy
93- The Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream
92- Aphex Twin- Selected Ambient Works 85-92
91- My Bloody Valentine- Loveless
90- Ride- Nowhere
89- John Zorn- Spy vs Spy
88- Traveling Wilburys- Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1
87- Dead can Dance- Within the Realm of a Dying Sun
86- The Smiths- The queen is dead
85- Dead can Dance- Spleen and Ideal
84- Scott Walker- Climate Hunter
83- Pink Floyd- The Final Cut
82- Vangelis- Blade Runner OST
81- King Crimson- Disciple
80- Joy Division- Closer
79- Pink Floyd- The Wall
78- Jethro Tull- Heavy Horses
77- Pink Floyd- Animals
76- Rush- 2112
75- Pink Floyd- Wish you were here

Then check this out lol at the amount of masterpieces...

74- Zappa- Apostrophe, Kraftwerk- Autobahn, Deep Purple- Burn, Clapton- Ocean Boulevard, Neil Young- On the Beach etc you get the idea, but it gets even more insane..

73- Pink Floyd- Dark side of the moon wins but far out so many classics, Bowie, Emerson, Steely Dan, Al Green, Zeppelin, Can, Crimson, Marvin Gaye, Lennon, Zappa, The Who and Roy Buchanan all put out major belters. But 72 has to take the cake...

72- Birds of Fire by Mahavishnu Orchestra, Sabbath- Vol 4, Carnival in Babylon by Amon Düül II, Steely Dan- s/t, Captain Beyond- s/t, Caravanserai by Santana, Yes- Close to the Edge, Eat a Peach by The Allman Brothers, Ege Bamyasi by Can Band, Exile on Main St. by The Rolling Stones, Genesis- Foxtrot, Neil Young- Harvest, Let My Children Hear Music by Charles Mingus, Deep Purple- Machine Head, Neu! - Neu!, Paul Simon- s/t, Bowie- Ziggy Stardust, Tull- Thick as a Brick and Nick Drake- Pink Moon LOL at the amount of winning.

71- Allman Brothers, Joni Mitchel, Yes, Bowie, Lennon, Floyd, The Who, Tull all did great stuff, but I think I'll choose John Lennon- Imagine.

70- Led Zeppelin- III, heaps of close ones, but III destroys too hard to not win.

Not gonna keep going into the 60's as the Beatles start getting in contention and it gets basically impossible with acts like Nick Drake, The Beatles, Zeppelin, Scott Walker and The Velvet Underground ALL releasing in the same year. Have a go at your own list, see how far you can go back. I went roughly back to 1960, but each year had to much winning so I pretty much only have a solid list up to 1975. Oh and lol at how much easier it was to chose my favorite albums from the 80's compared to the 70's.

08 - Opeth - Watershed
07 - Rush - Snakes & Arrows
06 - Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
05 - Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
04 - Megadeth - The System Has Failed
03 - Godsmack - Faceless
02 - Opeth - Deliverance
01 - Opeth - Blackwater Park
00 - Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
99 - Opeth - Still Life or Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream (Can't Decide)
98 - Opeth - MAYH
97 - Godsmack - Godsmack
96 - Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar
95 - At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
94 - Queensrÿche - Promised Land
93 - Rush - Counterparts
92 - Dream Theater - Images and Words
91 - Sepultura - Arise
90 - Megadeth - Rust in Peace
89 - Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
88 - Metallica - ...And Justice For All
87 - Guns and Roses - Appetite for Destruction
86 - Slayer - Reign in Blood or Metallica - Master of Puppets
85 - Iron Maiden - Live After Death
84 - Metallica - Ride the Lightning
83 - Metallica - Kill 'Em All
82 - Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
81 - Rush - Moving Pictures
80 - AC/DC - Back In Black
79 - Pink Floyd - The Wall
78 - Rush - Hemispheres
77 - Rush - A Farewell to Kings
76 - Rush - 2112
75 - Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

I agree - it gets quite difficult before 1975. Since that was the year I was born, I'll stop.

I found this to be an interesting exercise. I can tell that I went through some strange years from 94 - 97 (ages 19-22, go figure). I was listening to pretty much anything back then and a lot of weird stuff stayed with me. For example, I don't listen to Manson any more, but I still think AS is one of the finest albums I've ever heard.

Nice thread - First time I've been motivated to participate around here in awhile.

08- Opeth - Watershed
07- Between The Buried And Me - Colors
06- Muse - Black Holes And Revelations
05- Strapping Young Lad - Alien
04- Riverside - Out Of Myself
03- Muse -Absolution
02- Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
01- Opeth- BWP
00- Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
99- In Flames - Colony (really hard choice....DT- SFAM and Opeth SL)
98- Opeth- Mayh
97- In Flames - Whoracle
96- Dave Matthews Band - Crash
95- Death - Symbolic
94- Pink Floyd - Division Bell
93- The Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream
92- Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power
91-Sepultura - Arise
90- Megadeth - Rust In Peace
89- Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness
88- Metallica - AJFA
87- U2 - Joshua Tree
86- Slayer - Reign In Blood
85- Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
84- Metallica - Ride The Lightning
83- Metallica - Kill Em All
82- Rush - Signals
81- Rush - Moving Pictures
80- Rush - Permanent Waves
79- Pink Floyd- The Wall
78- Rush Hemispheres
77- Pink Floyd- Animals
76- Rush- 2112
75- Pink Floyd- Wish you were here
74- Supertramp - Cryme Of The Century
73-Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
72-Deep Purple - Machine Head
71-Pink Floyd - Meddl
70-Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
69-The Beatles - Abbey Road
68-Pink Floyd - A Saucerfull Of Secrets
67-The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper

bleeeeeeh cant be arsed ahaha
lol st3phen u lazy kunt. I'll do this decade for you...tell me how accurate it is.

08- Esoteric- TMV
07- Alcest- Souvenirs
06- Negura Bunget- Om
05- Akercocke- words
04- Esoteric- Sub
03- Ulver- Svidd Neger
02- GY!BE- Yanqui U.X.O.
01- Neurosis- A Sun that Never Sets
00- Ulver- Perdition City

Was I on the money? Nice lists as well, keep em coming.

Favorite is the first listed. Some close calls are 2nd, 3rd, etc. A few years were really hard to narrow down!

2008 - The White EP / The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull
2007 - Witchcult Today / Sound of Silver
2006 - Ashes Against The Grain / Ruun
2005 - Ghost Reveries / Lullabies To Paralyze
2004 - Isa / Panopticon
2003 - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place / Australasia
2002 - The Mantle / Songs for the Deaf / Degradation Trip
2001 - Blackwater Park / Monumension
2000 - Rated R / Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven!
1999 - The Fragile / Midnite Vultures
1998 - Moon Safari / Moon Pix / Featuring "Birds"
1997 - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk / OK Computer
1996 - Swansong / A Ass Pocket of Whiskey
1995 - To Bring You My Love / Dopes to Infinity
1994 - The Downward Spiral / Weezer (Blue)
1993 - Rid of Me / Undertow / Focus
1992 - Broken / Dirt / Psalm 69: The Way To Succeed And The Way To Suck Eggs
1991 - A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing / Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious / Play With Toys / Loveless / Bandwagonesque / Imperial
1990 - Violator / People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm
1989 - The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste / Pretty Hate Machine
1988 - And Justice for All / Surfer Rosa / It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back / Daydream Nation
1987 - Music for the Masses / Appetite for Destruction
1986 - Master of Puppets / Reign in Blood
1985 - New Day Rising / Psychocandy
1984 - Zen Arcade / Ride the Lightning
1983 - Eliminator / 1984
1982 - Blade Runner / Nebraska
1981 - Killers / Escape from New York
1980 - Back in Black / Ace of Spades
1979 - The Wall / Rust Never Sleeps
1978 - Stardust / Champagne Charlie / Van Halen
1977 - Animals / Aja
1976 - Romantic Warrior
1975 - Physical Graffiti / Wish You Were Here / Tonight's The Night
1974 - Phaedra / Phases & Stages
1973 - Dark Side of the Moon / Tres Hombres / New York Dolls
1972 - Exile on Main St. / Eat a Peach / A Clockwork Orange
1971 - Sticky Fingers / Meddle / Led Zeppelin IV
1970 - Paranoid
1969 - Let It Bleed / Abbey Road / In A Silent Way / Bitches Brew / Led Zeppelin II
1968 - Beggars Banquet / The Beatles

Actually gonna try pick one album from 75 onwards...
74- Kraftwerk- Autobahn
73- Pink Floyd- Dark side of the moon
72- David Bowie- Ziggy Stardust...fuck that was hard, had to be extremely dismissive of so many masterpieces haha.
71- John Lennon- Imagine
70- Led Zeppelin- III
69- Nick Drake- Five leaves left....that hurt to do that to Abbey Road, Zeppelin 1 and 2, Can, The Who, Allman brothers, Floyd, VU, Scott Walker 3 and 4 etc FUCK. Arguably the best year of music hands down. But I'll atm I'd say Drake. Oh shit In the Court of the Crimson king FFS. Ok this is the best year of music.
68- The Zombies- Odessey and Oracle. That hurt too, I count at least 5 10/10 albums this year, but atm it's Zombies.
67- The Beatles- Magical Mystery tour. Hendrix, VU and The Who are very close plus Sgt Peppers also came out this year too. Oh and Floyd's Piper at the gates of dawn.
66- The Beatles- Revolver, Dylan- Blonde on Blonde and The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators by The 13th Floor Elevators are very close. But Revolver is one of the best albums ever so it takes the 1st place by a little.
65- The Beatles- Rubber Soul. Bob Dylan- Highway 61 Revisited came so close. But Rubber Soul is a top 5 album of all time for me, so it has to win.
64- The Beatles- A Hard Day's Night, what a masterpiece. Always have adored this album. Dylan, Coltrane, Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry came very close. Especially Dylan with 2 brilliant albums in the same year "The Times They Are a-Changin' and "Another Side of Bob Dylan" Aside from Bowie doing "Low" and "Heroes" in the same year this is stupidly impressive.
63- Charles Mingus- Mingus. Beatles came close as did Dylan.
62- Herbie Hancock- Takin' Off. Some pretty close ones, but this is such an amazing debut it had to take it.
61- John Coltrane- My Favorite Things, brilliant album which didn't have to much competition.
60- Miles Davis- Sketches of Spain, Coltrane, Elvis and Sinatra are all pretty close looking at the albums I have of this year.
59- Miles Davis- Kind of Blue. Had to go with this. Johnny Cash, Sinatra, Coltrane and Mingus are all very close.
58- Bo Diddley- Bo Diddley, Davis, Elvis and Crosby came pretty close.
Gonna stop as each of the next few years I only have like 6-10 albums each so it's not much competition lol. Plus I've done half a century I think that's a nice place to stop :lol:.

2008: Opeth - Watershed
2007: Ulver - Shadows of the Sun
2006: Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain (but I also loved Katatonia and Negura Bunget releases)
2005: Moonsorrow - Verisäkeet
2004: Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendour
2003: Swallow the Sun - The Morning Never Came
2002: Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors / Agalloch - The Mantle / Novembre - Dreams D'Azur
2001: Opeth - Blackwater Park
2000: Ulver - Perdition City / Symphony X - V
1999: Opeth - Still Life / Novembre - Classica
1998: Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
1997: Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale / Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy
1996: Opeth - Morningrise / Katatonia - Brave Murder Day
1995: Opeth - Orchid
1994: Ulver - Bergtatt
1993: Cynic - Focus
1992: Dream Theater - Images and Words

(from now on I know much less music, but I'll try anyway)

1991: Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
1990: Judas Priest - Painkiller
1989: The Cure - Disintegration
1988: Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
1987: Dead Can Dance - Within the Realm of a Dying Sun
1986: Metallica - Master of Puppets
1985: Dead Can Dance - Spleen And Ideal
1984: :erk:
1983: :erk:
1982: Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast ( :erk: )
1981: Rush - Moving Pictures
1980: Joy Division - Closer
1979: Pink Floyd - The Wall
1978: Kraftwerk - The Man Machine
1977: Pink Floyd - Animals
1976: Camel - Moonmadness
1975: Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
1974: King Crimson - Red
1973: Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Io Sono Nato Libero (obviously Dark Side of the Moon and Selling England by the Pound are very good too)
1972: Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
1971: The Who - Who's next / Jethro Tull - Aqualung
1970: King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon
1969: King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King

My list could change easily though

^Went with Scott Walker in 84. Some close ones were Nick Cave- From Her to Eternity, MJ- Thriller, The Smiths- Hatful of Hollow and their s/t, Prince- Purple Rain and Metallica- Ride the Lightning are all pretty good 84 releases. You could just chuck Floyd in 83 and 79 for Final Cut and The Wall respectively as your obviously into them and they both dominate. I guess what goes up must go down and the 70's had so much up its natural that the standard went down in the next decade.

^While The Final Cut didn't receive at the time as much praise as it's 5-6 predecessors it's still an outstanding album and imo the best of it's year. It's the last great release of theirs imo. Division and Momentary are good but they have nothing on anything Final and before.

This was really really hard...I couldn't keep it to just one album a year, especially on some years. The quality varies very much from year to year as well. Ah well; runners-up in parenthesis:

2008: Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery (Opeth - Watershed, Meshuggah - ObZen)
2007: Entombed - Serpent Saints (Behemoth - The Apostasy)
2006: Scar Symmetry - Pith Black Progress (Satyricon - Now, Diabolical; Marzi Nyman - Marzi)
2005: Opeth - Ghost Reveries (Amoral - Decrowning, Khold - Krek, Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance)
2004: Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh (Wintersun - S/T, Unleashed - Sworn Allegiance, Mokoma - Tämän maailman ruhtinaan hovi)
2003: Opeth - Damnation (Edge of Sanity - Crimson II, Swallow the Sun - The Morning Never Came, Children of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll)
2002: Opeth - Deliverance (Freak Kitchen - Move)
2001: Opeth - Blackwater Park
2000: Symphony X - V (Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper)
1999: Emperor - IX Equilibrium (Liquid Tension Experiment - LTE 2, Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder, Opeth - Still Life)
1998: Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse (Dan Swanö - Moontower, Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth, Diabolical Masquerade - Nightwork)
1997: Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk (Children of Bodom - Something Wild, Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant)
1996: Satyricon - Nemesis Divina & Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia & Johansson, Johansson, Holdsworth - Heavy Machinery (Limbonic Art - Moon in the Scorpio, Katatonia - Brave Murder Day, Marduk - Heaven Shall Burn)
1995: Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve & Decameron - My Shadow... & Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane (Naglfar - Vittra, At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul, Morbid Angel - Domination, Ulver - Kveldssanger, Isengard - Hostmorke, Dismember - Massive Killing Capacity, Darkthrone - Panzerfaust)
1994: Unanimated - Ancient God of Evil (Ulver - Bergtatt, Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse, Testament - Low, Mary Beats Jane - S/T)
1993: Dissection - The Somberlain (Sepultura - Chaos A.D., Entombed - Wolverine Blues)
1992: Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction (Rage Against the Machine - S/T, Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power)
1991: Metallica - S/T
1990: Megadeth - Rust in Peace (Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss, Pantera - Cowboys from Hell, Entombed - Left Hand Path, Testament - Souls of Black)
1989: Stone - No Anaesthesia!
1988: Metallica - ...And Justice for All (Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt. II)
1987: Testament - The Legacy
1986: Metallica - Master of Puppets (Megadeth - Peace Sells, Slayer - Reign in Blood)
1985: Bathory - The Return...
1984: Metallica - Ride the Lightning (Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force)
1983: Metallica - Kill 'Em All (Di Meola/McLaughlin/De Lucia - Passion, Grace & Fire)

No need to list any further...nothing that I listen to much was released before '83.

^77 was hard as Aja is amazing. 72 is insane. Allman's Eat a Peach is brilliant. Nice list, good taste.

I tried to keep the list varied and not focused just on metal.

I even considered the soundtrack to Episode IV in '77.

'72 was tough. Lots didn't even make the list.
Machine Head
Vol. 4
More A Legend Than A Band
Fragile (US release date)
Ziggy Stardust
Superfly
Can't Buy A Thrill
Talking Book
Harvest

'88 was also hard. I left off:
Vivid
The Land of Rape and Honey
Straight Outta Compton
Operation: Mindcrime
Danzig

^Agreed. Overall 72 and 69 were the best years for me. There's at least 8 albums in each year that I can't falter. Genesis, Neil Young, Yes, Sabbath and Deep Purple just missed out for me as well on a few different years in the 70's.

08 - Opeth - Watershed
07 - Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet or Blackfield II
06 - David Gilmour - On an Island
05 - Opeth - Ghost Reveries or Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
04 - Blackfield
03 - Opeth - Damnation
02 - Opeth - Deliverance or Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
01 - Opeth - Blackwater Park
00 - Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
99 - Opeth - Still Life or Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream or Dream Theater - Metropolis Part II
98 - Opeth - My Arms Your Hearse
97 - Liquid Tension Experiment
96 - Opeth - Morningrise or Porcupine Tree - Signify or Katatonia - Brave Murder Day or Anathema - Eternity or Burzum - Filosofem or Iced Earth - The Dark Saga or Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia or Amorphis - Elegy (woah...so many)
95 - Opeth - Orchid or Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways or Anathema - The Silent Enigma
94 - Dream Theater - Awake or Pink Floyd - The Division Bell or Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss or Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes
93 - Porcupine Tree - Up the Downstair or Anathema - Serenades
92 - Dream Theater - Images and Words or Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark or Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider or Roger Waters - Amused to Death
91 - Queen - Innuendo
90 - Queensrÿche - Empire
89 - don't know
88 - Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime or Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son or Metallica - ...And Justice for All
87 - Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason and Roger Waters - Radio K.A.O.S.
86 - Metallica - Master of Puppets or Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
85 - Iron Maiden - Live After Death:kickass:
84 - Iron Maiden - Powerslave (easily) or Metallica - Ride the Lightning
83 - Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind:kickass: and Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
82 - Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast or Vangelis - Blade Runner OST
81 - Iron Maiden - Killers
80 - AC/DC - Back in Black and Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
79 - Pink Floyd - The Wall (obviously)
78 - JMJ - Equinoxe
77 - Pink Floyd - Animals
76 - JMJ - Oxygene
75 - Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
74 - Yes - Relayer
73 - Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon or Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans
72 - Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds or Deep Purple - Machine Head
71 - Pink Floyd - Meddle (easily) or Led Zeppelin IV or Yes - Close to the Edge or Genesis - Foxtrot
70 - Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother or Led Zeppelin III
69 - Pink Floyd - Ummagumma or Led Zeppelin II or Led Zeppelin I or Beatles - Abbey Road
68 - Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets
67 - Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn or Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band or The Doors - The Doors

I won't go further because I don't listen to music before 1967.

2008-Agalloch-The White EP
2007-Alcest-Souviners/Nadja-Radiance of Shadows/jesu-Silver/Shining-V Halmstad
2006-Agalloch-Ashes Against the Grain/Negura Bunget-Om/Kayo Dot-Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tounge/Enslaved-Runn
2005-Devendra Banhart-Cripple Crow/Alcest-Le Secret
2004-Enslaved-Isa/Jaaportit-Uumnessia/ISIS-Panopticon
2003-Kayo Dot-Choirs of the Eye/Sunkilmoon-Ghosts of the great highway
2002-Agalloch-The Mantle/Godspeed You! Black Emperor-Yanqui UXO/Tom Waits-Alice
2001-maudlin of the Well-Bath/Leaving your Body Map/Opeth-Blackwater Park/Red House Painters-Old Ramone
2000-Godspeed You! Black Emperor-Lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven/The Gathering-If_Then_Else/Weakling-Dead as Dreams/Lykathea Aflame-Bringer of Elvenfris.
1999-Opeth-Still Life/maudlin of the Well-My Fruit Pshycobells...a seed combustible.
1998-Opeth-My Arms, Your Hearse/The Gathering-How to Measure a Planet
1997-Radiohead-OK Computer
1996-Opeth-Morningrise/Anathema-Eternity/Red House Painters-Songs for a Blue Guitar

That's about all I can think of right now although Pink Floyd, Nick Drake, and Aphex Twin come to mind.