burzum - filosofem (first 4 songs only)

Emperor - In t...
It's pretty aweseom.
Deathspell Omega - Si M...
Hard hitting stuff...
Weakling - Dead a...
Epic and brodying.

Mayhem - Grand Declaration of War
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger (hehe)
Shining - Angst (my highest recommendations.....though Kvarforth is really sick)
Emperor - IX Equilibrium

some of these might not be entirely black metal, but i don't care:

Primordial - Spirit The Earth Aflame
Ulver - Bergtatt
In The Woods... -Heart Of The Ages
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Mörk Gryning - Tusen Ar Har Gatt
Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
Enslaved - Eld
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Master's Hammer - Ritual
Lunar Aurora - Elixir Of Sorrow
Secrets Of The Moon - Carved In Stigmata Wounds
Nocte Obducta - Taverne
Ophthalamia - Via Dolorosa
Dark Funeral - Secrets Of The Black Arts
Nargaroth - Herbstleyd
Nagelfar - Srrontgorrth
egurã Bunget - 'n Crugu Bradului
Diabolical Masquerade - Nightwork
Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia

1( Drudkh--Blood in our Wells and Autumn Aurora--often repetitive, but correlates a sublime atmosphere and emotion.2) Enslaved--Below the Lights and RUUN--master musicians and brilliant songwriting, love the guitar work of Arve Isdal. 3) Nokturnal Mortum--Lunar Poetry--creative and emotional songwriting, for a demo, well-played.4( Immortal--At the Heart of Winter--Blackened Thrash, crushing guitar work and excellent drumming. Production of Peter Tagtgren, puts this album over the top.5( Wolves in the Throne Room--12 Stars of the Diadem--most emotive and tortured vocals I've ever heard. A misanthropic soundscape of nature against man. Also crushing guitar.

ironbeard said:
Production of Peter Tagtgren, puts this album over the top

I love his production style - see what he did to Blodhemn and Mardraum, its like chainsaws on your ears. He is an excellent guy to have producing a Black Metal record imo.

Such a cold and aggressive output, its just great.

Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
This album is just genius.

Immortal - At The Heart of Winter
Not really pure black metal, but these are some of the best riffs/songs ever written.

Ulver - Bergtatt
The combination of folk and metal is flawless in this release. I don't really know why I love it so much... I just do.

Darkthrone - A Blaze In The Northern Sky
Probably my least favorite out of these, but there's just something great about this record.

I just got a bunch of black metal records in the mail, and I have a feeling Enslaved's "Eld," and Drudkh's "Autumn Aurora" are going to find themselves on my list very soon.

Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky. It's the first BM album I really sat and listened to long enough to get into it. I fucking love it, the songwriting is impeccable.

Akercocke - Choronzon and WTGU, DTGU although they're becoming more DM with every album, they're a fantastic band.

Enslaved - Most of their stuff is great, Eld, Below the Lights being my two favourites. Frost is a shit album for some reason though, I fucking hate it.

Kampfar - Kvass. I found this quite easy to get into, it's a strong new album from them and well worth a listen especially if you enjoy Enslaved.

The Meads of Asphodel - Not really BM, fuck knows HOW they'd be classified! I like their albums though, some good shit on there.

Marduk - Plague Angel. Again some people wouldn't class them as BM and they get a lot of insults for some reason. I like them and this is a good album.

I'm more of a DM man, as you can probably tell from my choices here.

Leviathan - Tentacles of Whorror
Xasthur - A Gate Through Bloodstained Mirrors
Deathspell Omega - Si Monvmentvm Reqvires Circvmspice
Nargaroth - Black Metal ist Krieg
Gorgoroth - Twilight of the Idols

i'm just starting to get a little bit into black metal (way too much shit to wade through), but thanks to the following albums, i can say i at least i like some:

weakling - dead as dreams
wolves in the throne room - diadem of 12 stars
enslaved - frost (well there's no doubt i prefer their later stuff, but there's no arguing that frost isnt black metal. i think you could argue that ruun, isa, btl, etc are not black metal)
ulver - bergtatt

Diabolical Masquarade - Ravendusk in my Heart
Emperor - Anthems...
Borknagar - Empiricism
Summoning - Stronghold
Bathory - Blood fire death
Enslaved - below the lights
Ulver - Burgerratt

NineFeetUnderground said:
weakling - dead as dreams
enslaved - ruun
nortt - ligfaerd
abigor - opus IV
ulver - bergtatt
Surprised to hear NFU likes that tired old Satanist concept:puke: Specifically, Nortt and Abigor. Are you serious, man?

Godhead's Lament said:
Dark Funeral - Attera Totus Sanctus
Dark Funeral - Diabolis Interium
Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane
Graveworm - I-The Machine
Naglfar - Sheol
Rotting Christ - Sanctus Diavolos
Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
Venom - Black Metal
fixed your mistake on the last album tbch. :cool: