Female fronted bands I've just gotten into...

I recently discovered Draconian. They caught my ear since their stuff is in a doom metal vein. It's very different than the usual symphonic power metal style of most beauty and the beast type bands.

I wasn't crazy about the next one, but I played the hell out of Within the Veil.
So did I. I also wasn't too impressed with "Toxic Voodoo". It's not really a bad album, but it lacked the depth of "Within The Veil". Where "WTV" had three dimensions, "Toxic Voodoo" only had two, though there are people who liked the latter better.

By the way, on youtube you find two great live renditions of "All That Remains" and "Drift" with the original line-up (which unfortunately didn't last very long). Here's the latter:

Btw, I just read this on Wikipedia: "she reformed the band with members of Wrathchild America and released a heavy Pantera-esque album called Beyond the Veil." Don't suppose you've heard this? I used to adore WA (and Pantera) back in the day, too... this sounds interesting. Didn't realize she'd died either. :(

This information is inaccurate. Dawn did play a small European tour (actually just a few dates in The Netherlands and Belgium) in 1992 with the musicians of Wrathchild America after the original line-up had already broken up - there are two or three clips from one of those concerts on youtube. But there's no Fear Of God-album titled "Beyond The Veil". Probably someone confused it with the song "Beyond The Veil", which is the opening title of the second Fear Of God-album "Toxic Voodoo".

By the way, the best and probably most comprehensive source for information on Dawn Crosby and her bands Fear Of God and Détente (the latter are now back with Hellion-vocalist Anne Boleyn) is this website (run by a Dutch guy):

www.fear-of-god.com

I recently discovered Draconian. They caught my ear since their stuff is in a doom metal vein. It's very different than the usual symphonic power metal style of most beauty and the beast type bands.
As regards stuff in a doom metal vein with female vocals, I recommend to check out the first two releases "Sorrow" and "Tears Laid In Earth" by The Third And The Mortal.

Here's a performance of their song "Death-Hymn" (unfortunately, the quality of the clip is very poor):

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised Beautiful Sin hasn't gotten more attention, that album is excellent. It's basically Helloween with a female vocalist right?

And most of them sound horrible. Completely unenergetic airheaded vocals. I'm kind of sick of it too.

There are a few I like though... such as Magali Luyten (Virus IV, and Beautiful Sin).

I agree. I think that female fronted bands are doing for metal now what hair metal bands did in the '80s, and that is to desrtroy the integrity of the genre. There is nothing intrinsically bad in having a female musician in a band. It's just the fact that it is being done just because it is a trend. And many of these frontwomen are not even into metal in the first place (Nightwish anyone?). If your singer is not into metal then she should be nothing but a voice with no creative input (a la Therion), otherwise your music is going to lose integrity (again like 80's hair metal).

As regards stuff in a doom metal vein with female vocals, I recommend to check out the first two releases "Sorrow" and "Tears Laid In Earth" by The Third And The Mortal.

Good suggestion. And it took me a while, but I really like the latter stuff they did too. I also like some of Kari Rueslattan's solo work. A bit like Tori Amos sometimes.

I'm surprised Beautiful Sin hasn't gotten more attention, that album is excellent. It's basically Helloween with a female vocalist right?

I didn't think they sound much like Helloween. They're alright. I was surprised I didn't like them better because I really like the other stuff Uli Kusch has done.

That or Pagan's Mind with a female singer. Jorn Viggo and Steinar are both in this band, but I think Uli Kusch does a lot of the writing.
And many of these frontwomen are not even into metal in the first place (Nightwish anyone?). If your singer is not into metal then she should be nothing but a voice with no creative input (a la Therion), otherwise your music is going to lose integrity (again like 80's hair metal).
Since when did Tuomas stop being the main song writer? Perhaps I misunderstood your statement ... or his role in the band.
I didn't think they sound much like Helloween. They're alright. I was surprised I didn't like them better because I really like the other stuff Uli Kusch has done.
Listen to "Lost" on Beautiful Sin's The Unexpected and then listen to "The Departed (Sun's Going Down)" on Helloween's The Dark Ride and then tell me they don't sound much alike. :lol:

Surprised nobody mentioned "The Gathering" the music is awesome and the vocals heavenly... I just recently got into them and I am hooked.

Surprised nobody mentioned "The Gathering" the music is awesome and the vocals heavenly... I just recently got into them and I am hooked.

Yeah, too bad Anneke isn't in the band anymore; not quite sure what to expect from their next album, I guess we'll see. Anneke's new thing 'Agua de Annique' sounds decent though.

Good suggestion. And it took me a while, but I really like the latter stuff they did too.
They changed their style from album to album, but I also like their later stuff a lot (especially the first three songs on "Memoirs").

By the way, a band whose music is in the vein of the first two releases by The Third And The Mortal are Skumring:
http://www.myspace.com/skumring

Their so far only album "De glemte tider" only contains three songs (ranging between 12 and 19 minutes).

For atmospheric doom-influenced metal also check out Ava Inferi:
http://www.myspace.com/avainferi

and Left Hand Solution:

I also like some of Kari Rueslattan's solo work. A bit like Tori Amos sometimes.
Not a big surprise, since Tori Amos is one of her absolute faves. However, I've got to say that I like her first two albums "Demo Recordings 1995" and the folk-influenced "Spindelsinn" much better than the solo-stuff she released afterwards (though I also do like Tori Amos).

They are also one of my favourite bands and they have already been mentioned on the page before.

Yeah, too bad Anneke isn't in the band anymore; not quite sure what to expect from their next album, I guess we'll see.
On another forum someone who already must have got a chance to listen to the new stuff wrote that people who loved Anneke and their music around "How To Measure A Planet?" would totally like "The West Pole" (their new album).

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm a sucker for doom. I'm going to check all of those bands out.

I agree. I think that female fronted bands are doing for metal now what hair metal bands did in the '80s, and that is to desrtroy the integrity of the genre. There is nothing intrinsically bad in having a female musician in a band. It's just the fact that it is being done just because it is a trend. And many of these frontwomen are not even into metal in the first place (Nightwish anyone?). If your singer is not into metal then she should be nothing but a voice with no creative input (a la Therion), otherwise your music is going to lose integrity (again like 80's hair metal).

I agree with you in general. However, I don't think the problem is nearly as bad as the hair metal trend. While this trend is certainly making metal heads more acceptable of identical sounding bands, I don't think anyone can mock metal as a whole as a result. There are people that think of Warrant's Cherry Pie when they hear the word "metal", and the entire genre is ruined for them. Sure, I can have iTunes shuffle Epica, After Forever, and Within Temptation and not be able to tell which band is playing. I don't think that's going to kill the genre for anyone though.

The 'hair metal trend' didn't occur over a weekend. It was a building process. There are TONS of FFM bands out there now... and I do not think we have peaked yet. It might just be that you have not stumbled into them yet. I got into metal in the late 80s... so I distinctly recall the ridicule that the genre underwent. I broke through with the heavier stuff like Megadeth and Pantera then... so the hair stuff was just silly (at the time).

I do think times are different though. We have many more genres, and an incredibly diverse range of folks listening to "metal" these days (quotations used since its tough to define metal today). The aural spectrum available has never been greater.. so I do not think the umbrella of metal could be as effected as in the past. Certainly the sub genre is prone to burn-out though.

I agree with you in general. However, I don't think the problem is nearly as bad as the hair metal trend. While this trend is certainly making metal heads more acceptable of identical sounding bands, I don't think anyone can mock metal as a whole as a result. There are people that think of Warrant's Cherry Pie when they hear the word "metal", and the entire genre is ruined for them. Sure, I can have iTunes shuffle Epica, After Forever, and Within Temptation and not be able to tell which band is playing.
Funny ... I don't have any trouble telling these bands apart. As you've probably already noticed from the diverse bands listed in this thread, female metal singers come in more varieties than just this operatic/symphonic style of singing. Those might be the style you gravitate towards more, or the style that the bigger labels are pushing, but that doesn't mean that's all that's good or all that's out there.

Having singers and bands that sound similar is inevitable in any genre of music. That's the reason they are in a genre together in the first place - because they sound similar. Every band can't be in a category all it's own.

If you played three black metal bands for me I might say that they all sounded the same, but to someone who is a big fan of black metal they can probably pick up many of the differences in the music and the singers' voices.

If you played a casual power metal fan certain songs from Blind Guardian, Savage Circus, and Iron Savior they might think they are all the same band, but to the avid power metal fan each of these three has some unique qualities that make the band all it's own.

I'm just tired of people saying that female fronted metal is a fad, because what you are basically saying is that women singers in metal are a fad. They aren't. They've been here for 30+ years (Girlschool anyone?) and they aren't going away, even if they do "peak" at some point ... like every other phase/subgenre in the metal genre.

And to those that say this subgenre is prone to burnout or that there are no unique sounding female singers out there ... many female metal singers are actually diversifying away from the operatic/symphonic style, as many of them have to constantly put up with this repeated (and at this point, unfounded) criticism that all female metal singers sound the same. I'm finding that many of the newer bands with female singers actually take more of a power metal or bluesy approaching to their singing style rather than the cliche operatic style that so many assume as soon as the words "female" and "metal" are connected.

If anyone thinks that all metal bands with female vocals sound the same and that female singers in metal are "making metal heads more acceptable of identical sounding bands," then you obviously aren't looking very hard for anything that sounds unique 'cause there's plenty out there.

If you are into the operatic/symphonic stuff more, I recently came across this amazing symphonic power band from France, Kells.

If you want something on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, but still great, I don't think I've seen Holy Moses in this thread. They've been around for 25 years and their new album is really heavy, thrashy and the vocals are ten times better than anything from Arch Enemy imo! (Although I doubt you will ever see them at PP.)

If you are into the operatic/symphonic stuff more, I recently came across this amazing symphonic power band from France, Kells.

If you want something on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, but still great, I don't think I've seen Holy Moses in this thread. They've been around for 25 years and their new album is really heavy, thrashy and the vocals are ten times better than anything from Arch Enemy imo!